Players contracts ending in June

Ten players could leave Sheffield Wednesday at the end of their contracts – Cameron Dawson, Ash Baker, Morgan Fox, Kieran Lee, Joey Pelupessy, Sam Hutchinson, Sam Winnall, Atdhe Nuhiu, Fernando Forestieri, Steven Fletcher.

Due to the uncertainty about when the season will re-start or not, there could be a legal minefield if the season re- started after the contracts expired.

1 minute ago, MallorcaOwl said:

Ten players could leave Sheffield Wednesday at the end of their contracts – Cameron Dawson, Ash Baker, Morgan Fox, Kieran Lee, Joey Pelupessy, Sam Hutchinson, Sam Winnall, Atdhe Nuhiu, Fernando Forestieri, Steven Fletcher.

Due to the uncertainty about when the season will re-start or not, there could be a legal minefield if the season re- started after the contracts expired.

Dawson signed a 4 year deal so he won't be going anywhere.

I don't think an enforced clear out would do us any harm anyway after the shower we've witnessed this season.

12 minutes ago, Danish said:

Hope we keep Fox and Fletcher.

The rest can leave for me.

Thank you Kieran Lee, true professional and at his best, a wonderful footballer.

I really like Fletcher. Good player always puts in 100%.

But he is injured a fair bit and is not getting any younger. If he's on 30k a week I wouldn't want to be offering him that.

Plus he will want 2 years minimum. 

I just think we need to go younger and cheaper.

Fox is ok and has been a solid player. As long as he wants sensible wages I'd offer him 2 years. But if he starts getting greedy let him go...hes not exactly irreplaceable.

Edited by trev

39 minutes ago, MallorcaOwl said:

Not really

We'd just have to play without them

Owlstalk Shop

Guest The Horse

Please don't take my Fessi away!!

Seriously though, I know we need a clear out and Monk wants to uproot the deep seated culture of failure but Wednesday have always had the flair players that the Blunts never really had.

In my time:

Dalian Atkinson

Di Canio

Waddle

Carbone

JJ

Royston Drenthe

Forestieri

And Dave Bennett

They've had Franz Carr. 😁

But I digress.

I like how Monk's doing the weeding at the moment but I hope we get some excitement in the team or we get another purple patch of years out of FF.

The kind of players that get you on the edge of the seat when they have the ball and do things / score the type of goals that get shown again decades later.

49 minutes ago, MallorcaOwl said:

Not quite sure about the reference to a “ legal minefield “ - reading the article - see link below - it appears clear to me that, if out of contract players don’t want to play for SWFC after 30 June, there’s a lot that we can do about it. 

I’d be disappointed if we’ve seen the last of Fox and Fletcher, wouldn’t lose too much sleep about any of the others though.

I do hope Kieran Lee gets a contract somewhere, possibly have to drop down a division though 

We would have 14 first team players registered if no contracts are renewed and loans end. Leaves us with this through July. Going to be a mess especially in the lower leagues.

Westwood

Dawson

Wildsmith

Palmer

Odubajo

Iorfa

Lees

Borner

Van Aken

Harris

Luongo

Bannan

Reach

Rhodes

Most of them clearly need to go.

However it's pointless saying this one or that one can go - it's all about who we sign in there place. It's all well and good saying Lee or Fox can go - we do need improvement in their positions, but I don't think we'll get it.

Hopefully we can do the kind of business we were doing under Bruce. Iorfa Börner and Harris I think were good additions for like 100,000 outlay.

But having seen our January business I fear the worst.

3 minutes ago, 0114 said:

We would have 14 first team players registered if no contracts are renewed and loans end. Leaves us with this through July. Going to be a mess especially in the lower leagues.

Westwood

Dawson

Wildsmith

Palmer

Odubajo

Iorfa

Lees

Borner

Van Aken

Harris

Luongo

Bannan

Reach

Rhodes

One of which is transfer listed,(Moses), one currently out in loan (where they have the same issues) so likely to stay there. Luongo often injured, so in all likelihood we won't be able to Field a team as of 1july.... must be the same for a lot of clubs

Just void the season, transfer window 1 July to 30 September and look to start the new season on 1 October

32 minutes ago, trev said:

I really like Fletcher. Good player always puts in 100%.

But he is injured a fair bit and is not getting any younger. If he's on 30k a week I wouldn't want to be offering him that.

Plus he will want 2 years minimum. 

I just think we need to go younger and cheaper.

Fox is ok and has been a solid player. As long as he wants sensible wages I'd offer him 2 years. But if he starts getting greedy let him go...hes not exactly irreplaceable.

Good points mate.

I can see why Fletchers wages might be a stumbling block which is understandable.

A couple of months ago I was desperate for us to retain Fletcher and Fox, and in a way I suppose I do still hope they sign. But with what is going on now there will be some very good players available that will probably accept alot less of a wage.

Edited by pazowl55

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

Westwood

Dawson

Wildsmith

Palmer

Odubajo

Iorfa

Lees

Borner

Van Aken

Harris

Luongo

Bannan

Reach

Rhodes

I wonder what the wage bill for so few players is...the reduction in spend has got to give us some leeway in the summer