Garry Monk Sheffield Wednesday Manager

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You could argue that he IS lucky to have the season postponed, but also that his primary aim has been to get through the season and into the summer so he can clear out all the bad eggs, dead wood, and problematic players that he (and those before him) inherited.

How do you get the best out of a squad that's infected with players undermining the club?

Did you know that Alex Ferguson sold Beckham the second he showed insolence towards him. Beckham swore at him after a defeat, so Ferguson booted a football boot in his face and sold him.

Ferguson's clear statement was that his own power has to come first over and above any players believing they're bigger than the club.

Something that our club's culture has had the exact opposite of for years now since Carlos let it all slide.

The players currently run this football club. That's not good, and Monk (like Luhukay before him) is doing his best to reverse that slide and sort it out.

I don’t know if you have more inside info on this than me.. but who exactly are the ‘bad eggs, dead wood and problematic players’? I have a feeling you’re going to name Westwood, Hutchinson, Forestieri etc. But the reality is the first two aren’t even playing so they can’t be blamed for the performances on the pitch. 

A strong manager like Bruce was able to man manage them all and we got good results. Weak figure heads like Luhukay and Monk have struggled. 

I think the basis for replacing players in the team or squad should be on merit not just because they’ve been here a while. When Ferguson let Beckham go he went and got Ronaldo.. evolving the squad in the right way. If we let Westwood, Hutchinson, Forestieri go.. we’re going to replace them with Dawson, Pelupessy and Da Cruz. The quality of the replacements is nowhere near the level of the players being replaced so it’s no surprise that we’re dropping down the table. I’m happy for any of our players to go but want the replacements to be as good or better or we aren’t moving forward 

50 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Westfield Owl gets it spot on for me when he says:

100% not the right man.  Said so when he was appointed.  I was gutted.

2 wins in 14 isn’t it - how many other EFL managers would survive a run like that

So true

Has anyone forgotten these results and performances since XMAS:

Wednesday 0 - Blackburn 5

Luton 1 - Wednesday 0 (Luton missed a pen and 3 sitters)

Wednesday 0 Reading 3

Brentford 5 - Wednesday 0

Fired by Swansea, fired by M'boro, fired by Brum.  He has never won anything as a Manager in football so why should it be any different here?

That’s fine but your last sentence is where it all falls down for so many. Expectations that we could attract a manager that has won things us for the fairies.

Garry Monk overall in his career has not a bad record.  Bruce said he needed a number of windows to change what he inherited. On his appointment many in here said the same for Monk.  He deserves time and we need him to be successful rather than continuing to chop and change

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm not sure how you've jumped to that conclusion.

I wouldn't agree that's the long term plan.

Well we’ve just given Dawson a 4 year contract so the plan looks like it’s to make him long term number 1. And he’s never going to be on Westwood’s level so that’s one position where we’re regressing.

The other two maybe we do get some better players than them in the summer but are they going to be improvements on SH and FF. I doubt that.

Tbh I think the bigger issue here is the lack of investment from Chansiri after the first couple of years. He’s hid behind FFP a bit here but the reality is we need another summer 2015 in the transfer market and we should be able to do that now that the stadium sale is in the 3 year rolling period (assuming everything works out with the EFL) and we’ve cut costs over the last couple of seasons. But I can’t see him pumping that kind of money in again

3 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Well we’ve just given Dawson a 4 year contract so the plan looks like it’s to make him long term number 1. And he’s never going to be on Westwood’s level so that’s one position where we’re regressing.

The other two maybe we do get some better players than them in the summer but are they going to be improvements on SH and FF. I doubt that.

Tbh I think the bigger issue here is the lack of investment from Chansiri after the first couple of years. He’s hid behind FFP a bit here but the reality is we need another summer 2015 in the transfer market and we should be able to do that now that the stadium sale is in the 3 year rolling period (assuming everything works out with the EFL) and we’ve cut costs over the last couple of seasons. But I can’t see him pumping that kind of money in again

Yeah that definitely an interesting area to look at over the coming months

The whole FFP issue has effectively prevented our buying of quality players (or even loaning them).

Could hinder us for years

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
15 minutes ago, Tommycraign10others said:

That’s fine but your last sentence is where it all falls down for so many. Expectations that we could attract a manager that has won things us for the fairies.

Garry Monk overall in his career has not a bad record.  Bruce said he needed a number of windows to change what he inherited. On his appointment many in here said the same for Monk.  He deserves time and we need him to be successful rather than continuing to chop and change

You say he doesn’t have a bad record.. he’s got some big clubs in his CV. But he must have been managing for 6 seasons now and he’s only once managed to maintain performances for a full season, his first year at Swansea. Everywhere else he’s gone there’s been signs of promise at times but then results have faded away and fallen off a cliff after he’s been there 20-30 games.

There really is no point in getting the results to get a team to third by Xmas if you’re then going to have relegation form the other half of the season because overall you can’t get promoted that way without consistency. Wednesday isn’t the only place where this has happened for him it seems like a common theme 

Edited by LondonOwl313

I know a couple of people who have coached with Monk over the years. Both experienced, both very much their own people and don’t hide anything in terms of opinions, and they both really rate him. He is by all accounts a very hard worker , very detailed on the training ground and in  match prep. Given the manager has little say in squad additions, then a coach of this nature is what we need
Unless major repair work done to the squad though we have no chance. We were so poor from Jan to March. Wickham, da Cruz, borner, Palmer, Joey, Lee, Dawson , even Iorfa and Bannan at times, were appalling. 

Can I ask the people whove said he deserves a chance with a new squad 

If they said the same about Jos

He is the absolute same 

Dropped players 

Conceding for fun

Goals for dried up

His signings have been terrible

The football is embarrassing 

He is Steve mcclaren 2.0

The whole club needs a shake up and monk needs to leave 

It's a great opportunity to rebuild and his signings so far have been dreadful 

4 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Two 5-0 defeats in 2020....

Reyt manager

He's not the only manager of ours to experience a battering

We got battered at home by Forest when Trevor Francis was manager, yet some people STILL believe he was a great manager at our club

Baffling

Owlstalk Shop

I’m torn. 

Lets be right, most of the poor results since Christmas have been down to awful individual defensive performances - I don’t think you can put that at the manager’s door. 

And in terms of goal scoring, we haven’t had sufficient back up for fletcher - I’m thinking along the lines of foriestieri (only recently coming back to be fair), but minimal contributions the likes of reach et al. 

I think having time to build a squad will help. But again, any manager in our financial and legal circumstances will inevitably have their hands tied. 

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

We got battered at home by Forest when Trevor Francis was manager, yet some people STILL believe he was a great manager at our club

Baffling

But we are discussing Monk and the run since the Bristol game is beyond unnaceptable. We are getting battered in so many games and Reading and Derby were over by 30 mins as well. These days teams are walking through us

The tactics are baffling and his manegerial style has gone down like a lead balloon.

He wont turn it round in million years

Just now, Belfast Owl 2 said:

But we are discussing Monk and the run since the Bristol game is beyond unnaceptable. We are getting battered in so many games and Reading and Derby were over by 30 mins as well. These days teams are walking through us

The tactics are baffling and his manegerial style has gone down like a lead balloon.

He wont turn it round in million years

Jos tried to sort out the troublesome players and failed

Monk is trying to sort out the troublesome squad and hasn't got the results whilst working on trying to get the influence of the disruptive players away from the rest of the squad.

Only by booting players out and finally ridding the club of their influence will he succeed

Replace Monk and you just bring someone else in who has to face the same issues left by Carlos and his culture.

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Baffling

Hardly the same is it, still can't understand why Francis gets stick.

as for Monk, I would get rid and 95% of the current overpaid squad.

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Apart from the dismantling of a successful squad, a run of results that got him the boot, the shocking man-management skills etc etc?

taking us to the highest position since I started watching Wednesday 44 years ago, 2 cup finals and in to Europe and bringing people like Waddle and Walker to the club, right muppet wasn't he.

2 minutes ago, matt68owls said:

Taking us to the highest position since I started watching Wednesday 44 years ago, 2 cup finals and in to Europe and bringing people like Waddle and Walker to the club, right muppet wasn't he.

Cherry picking the bits you like doesn't make him a good overall manager

As was proven by him getting rightly sacked

Owlstalk Shop

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Jos tried to sort out the troublesome players and failed

Monk is trying to sort out the troublesome squad and hasn't got the results whilst working on trying to get the influence of the disruptive players away from the rest of the squad.

Only by booting players out and finally ridding the club of their influence will he succeed

Replace Monk and you just bring someone else in who has to face the same issues left by Carlos and his culture.

Monk is now part of the problem and needs to be sacked.

Carlos did leave a mess but so has Monk