Jump to content

Garry Monk Sheffield Wednesday Manager


Recommended Posts

Garry Monk SWFC.jpg

 

Now you've had time to calm down and reflect what are your thoughts on Garry Monk?

Is he the right man for the job?

Do you believe in his vision of replacing the stale squad with hungrier, younger players and getting problem disruptive players out of the club?

Are you happy to back him over the coming seasons?


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was delighted when he was appointed.

 

Always saw his teams as hard working, decent effective and efficient football, with a strong mentality 

 

I was impressed with his Leeds and Birmingham sides when they played us - I was very impressed with the boro side that beat us (before he got the boot) 

 

He started off with the team showing all these attributes 

 

We had a bad run over Christmas and he totally lost the plot for me 

 

Changing the formation, the players, the style almost every game 

 

He has serious work to do from the re start to get everyone back on board 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, torres said:

I was delighted when he was appointed.

 

Always saw his teams as hard working, decent effective and efficient football, with a strong mentality 

 

I was impressed with his Leeds and Birmingham sides when they played us - I was very impressed with the boro side that beat us (before he got the boot) 

 

He started off with the team showing all these attributes 

 

We had a bad run over Christmas and he totally lost the plot for me 

 

Changing the formation, the players, the style almost every game 

 

He has serious work to do from the re start to get everyone back on board 

Spot on

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

100% not the right man.  Said so when he was appointed.  I was gutted.

 

2 wins in 14 isn’t it - how many other EFL managers would survive a run like that?

 

And for those that use the ‘it’s not Monk’s squad, let him build his own team’ line, well none of the signings that Monk made in January have been any good.  Why any fan would want this guy in charge of overhauling the squad is beyond me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've seen the best and the worst of Monk during his short time here,

 

The 17 games pre-Christmas were about as good as we could reasonably hope for this season: we looked well-drilled, organised and competitive in every single game, never losing by more than a single goal. To have this squad in third place at the halfway stage was no mean feat.

 

Unfortunately, the 14 games since have been dreadful for the most part: we've lost 5 games having shipped three or more goals and have looked like a squad entirely devoid of effort, desire and discipline.

 

It's worth remembering that at 41, Monk is still a very young manager. He's seemed as furious as the rest of us after some of our recent performances, and he appears to be biting his tongue in a lot of his post-match interviews.

 

He's not experienced a run of form as bad as this before in his career, even when managing Swansea in the Premier League. If he's able to learn whatever lessons need learning from this past 14 games and use it to improve his practice going forwards, then there's hope yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Westfield Owl gets it spot on for me when he says:

 

100% not the right man.  Said so when he was appointed.  I was gutted.

2 wins in 14 isn’t it - how many other EFL managers would survive a run like that

 

So true

Has anyone forgotten these results and performances since XMAS:

 

Wednesday 0 - Blackburn 5

Luton 1 - Wednesday 0 (Luton missed a pen and 3 sitters)

Wednesday 0 Reading 3

Brentford 5 - Wednesday 0

 

Fired by Swansea, fired by M'boro, fired by Brum.  He has never won anything as a Manager in football so why should it be any different here?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was happy with his appointment, and was delighted with the first 2-3 months. 

 

My my first bone of contention was from the Cardiff draw and the strange changes he made that cost us a win for me.

 

the last minute goals and the players buckling can’t possibly all be down to Monk, so I can cut him some slack there. It was the Stoke defeat that really got me cross for the first time, and it’s all gone downhill from there.

 

It’snot his squad of players, although Bruce made it work with a somewhat worse squad than Monk has now. 

 

He wont have the finances to really rebuild, so my expectations for the next season are very low. However, Monk may turn out to be  better in an environment of little; his record with Birmingham May support that view.

 

And since we don’t have the money to really rebuild he squad, so we have the money to just sack another manager and get another one in?

 

I like Monk, but I can hold my hands up and agree when people say “He’s lost his way” or “He’s messing it up”.

 

TL;DR: I’m split 50/50😣

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A balanced post from Wor' Jackie to be fair but the bit that for me is missing is season ticets sales.

 

Like any organisation year on year comparisons are very important.

 

After the end of 2018/19 season morale among fans was high and there was a real sense of optimism under Bruce.

 

This will have impacted season ticket sales at a time in our history when POTG has declined as a percentage.

 

Does anybody seriously want to watch Monk's football and sign up for a season ticket?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest LondonOwl313

He’s been incredibly lucky that the season has been postponed. He may have got us to 3rd before xmas but being honest we never looked great even at that point. And it’s obviously been an embarrassment since. 
 

People can blame the players all they want but he just doesn’t get enough out of the squad. We probably do need to replace the 2016 team but there’s no point in doing it if the new players are much worse than their current level. 
 

He just talks the same nonsense week in week out and tactically, team selection and man management wise he’s just not good enough.

 

Just because the grass might not be greener if we went with someone else isn’t a good reason to stick with him if he’s underperforming. 

Edited by LondonOwl313
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Garry Monk SWFC.jpg

 

Now you've had time to calm down and reflect what are your thoughts on Garry Monk?

Is he the right man for the job?

Do you believe in his vision of replacing the stale squad with hungrier, younger players and getting problem disruptive players out of the club?

Are you happy to back him over the coming seasons?

Rubbish

No

No

No

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

He’s been incredibly lucky that the season has been postponed. He may have got us to 3rd before xmas but being honest we never looked great even at that point. And it’s obviously been an embarrassment since. 
 

People can blame the players all they want but he just doesn’t get enough out of the squad. We probably do need to replace the 2016 team but there’s no point in doing it if the new players are much worse than their current level. 
 

He just talks the same nonsense week in week out and tactically, team selection and man management wise he’s just not good enough 

 

 

You could argue that he IS lucky to have the season postponed, but also that his primary aim has been to get through the season and into the summer so he can clear out all the bad eggs, dead wood, and problematic players that he (and those before him) inherited.

How do you get the best out of a squad that's infected with players undermining the club?

Did you know that Alex Ferguson sold Beckham the second he showed insolence towards him. Beckham swore at him after a defeat, so Ferguson booted a football boot in his face and sold him.

Ferguson's clear statement was that his own power has to come first over and above any players believing they're bigger than the club.

Something that our club's culture has had the exact opposite of for years now since Carlos let it all slide.

The players currently run this football club. That's not good, and Monk (like Luhukay before him) is doing his best to reverse that slide and sort it out.


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...