On this day in 1959 Promotion !

#Onthisday in 1959 a Glory Night at Hillsborough as Wednesday, the 1950s Yo-Yo team, secured a satisfying win against Liverpool to secure promotion to Division 1. 28,264 were at the Wednesday Ground to see Redfern Froggatt score his 24th goal of the season to seal a 1-0 victory.

605730721_liv59.jpg.26894831d346d95a330cc102422d5b22.jpg

14-4-59b.jpeg.84c6be0297a805e10b1d086b2f2cb6d4.jpeg

14-4-1959.jpeg.08b0092e35cdedc5d12a07b02cb0d350.jpeg

14-4-59c.jpeg.e9cf97abe55abf2faf27f6af86fc46ce.jpeg

• Like 1

I didn't make this match. Still I was in my second season as a very scarce part timer at the tender age of 8.But following promotion I became a Saturday regular the following season. I don't remember much of Redfearn Froggatt but less than 20 years later I was to play against him as he guested for Achesons in a friendly against the team I ran Walkley Cottage, I couldn't get near him he had a big arse and used it well. However we won 3-1. Albert Quixall was my pin up of the time. Despite Quixall being sold the next 7 years were kind to Wednesday League and FA Cup runners up, we deserved a little more in my opinion.     

2 hours ago, SimonJ said:

Great goal difference too - did that count then, or was it goal average or something like that....?

Still goal average. It changed in the late 1970s. Guess we can look up exact year when the libraries reopen. 

Goal average of >2.0 is pretty high. 

On another point dare we say not the greatest crowd... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I didn't make this match. Still I was in my second season as a very scarce part timer at the tender age of 8.But following promotion I became a Saturday regular the following season. I don't remember much of Redfearn Froggatt but less than 20 years later I was to play against him as he guested for Achesons in a friendly against the team I ran Walkley Cottage, I couldn't get near him he had a big arse and used it well. However we won 3-1. Albert Quixall was my pin up of the time. Despite Quixall being sold the next 7 years were kind to Wednesday League and FA Cup runners up, we deserved a little more in my opinion.     

A good post.  Way before my time, but when we came runners-up to Spurs (1961?) didn't we have a points total which would have ordinarily landed a team the title? 

1 hour ago, Cockers said:

A good post.  Way before my time, but when we came runners-up to Spurs (1961?) didn't we have a points total which would have ordinarily landed a team the title? 

the 58 points we got would have won it  the season before and the season after …..lack of ambition as per by the board cost us , instead of kicking on after 61 they pulled in the purse strings and were happy to drift along .

6 hours ago, thewookieisdown said:

Still goal average. It changed in the late 1970s. Guess we can look up exact year when the libraries reopen. 

Goal average of >2.0 is pretty high. 

On another point dare we say not the greatest crowd... 

Best crowd of the day. Beat both the 1st division crowds including Brum v Arse. Norwich 10,000

Edited by lanzaroteowl

We got promoted to div one as runners up to Spurs in 1950.  Then promoted as champs in 1952 1956 1959.  Explains the small crowds. We'd got used to it.    Only 15000 against Barnsley for last match, which we won 5-0.  Weather was atrocious though.  

We had some huge wins that season.  7-0 v Lincoln.  6-0 v Sunderland, Grimsby.  5-0 v Barnsley, Rotherham.  If only we could have held on to Catterick a bit longer.  

5 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Best crowd of the day. Beat both the 1st division crowds including Brum v Arse. Norwich 10,000

Sure, but if you'd asked me to guess the crowd in the late 50s for a promotion decider I might have guessed around the 40 mark. Put another way, if next season we had a promotion decider home to say Derby or Forest, the place would be full, whatever full means

This is probably a point about levels of attendance in the late 50s rather than our attendance then relative to other clubs

12 hours ago, torryowl said:

the 58 points we got would have won it  the season before and the season after …..lack of ambition as per by the board cost us , instead of kicking on after 61 they pulled in the purse strings and were happy to drift along .

Eric Taylor's spendthrift ways?

My dad said he was more interested in spending on the ground.

Thank you - fascinating stuff, full of "if onlys".   

I was there - age 9. Used to watch as a kid pressed up against the railings between the Leppings Lane end and the South Stand terracing.

It absolutely pee'd it down during the game and I remember sheltering with my dad and many others in toilets accessed from the Leppings Lane end (close to where the scoreboard is now) but extending under the South Stand (which was only seating for the back half at that time).

Was that the game where John Fantham slid 10 yards on his belly in the lagoon that was the centre circle?

Was one of my first ever games and may be the reason I got hooked on Wednesday.

11 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Swansea was a town, not a city, in 1959.  

Yes i know, that's why i put the 'shades' emoji and not a question mark.

They're just like Preston, Brighton and Hove and a few others over the years.

That's why i love our name 'cos that is constant and will always be relevant despite when Sheffield went from town to City status.