Inter City Owl

Guest Garryswfcowl72

5 hours ago, bradowl said:

It was much better when Inter City Owl was a train organised by Steve Woodhead. 

Started at beginning of 79-80 promotion season, I think first train he did was Hull City in League cup. 

ICO to Exeter, the promotion clincher (forty years nearly to the day!). We lost 1-0 but our main rivals (might have been Chesterfield???) only managed a draw so we were up.

The train was an old ramshacled affair. No heating, no lighting, and it arrived back at Sheffield Midland station about five minutes after closing time. Conspiracy theorists thought that might have been a deliberate ploy to prevent Wednesday fans from flooding the town centre.

However, the fancy dress on the train was a sight to behold and the vision of a gorilla playing three-card brag with Adolf Hitler is something that will stay with me to the grave.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

The one to Stamford Bridge was the most interesting. 

You're not wrong there Lanzaroteowl it was flipping bedlam after the match Windows smashed rozzers all over the place, arsenal fans were involved as well.

5 minutes ago, Hodgyowl said:

You're not wrong there Lanzaroteowl it was flipping bedlam after the match Windows smashed rozzers all over the place, arsenal fans were involved as well.

The one thing that i still remember very vividly from that infamous episode was of dustbins being thrown at our supporters.:tango:

29 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

The one thing that i still remember very vividly from that infamous episode was of dustbins being thrown at our supporters.:tango:

Was that when the rozzers put us on that platform with a balcony above and pulled the gate's together trapping everyone on the platform, can remember everything known to man being thrown down on us nearly got hit in the face by an old style chunky pint pot we had to smash the gates open to escape.

Just now, Hodgyowl said:

Was that when the rozzers put us on that platform with a balcony above and pulled the gate's together trapping everyone on the platform, can remember everything known to man being thrown down on us nearly got hit in the face by an old style chunky pint pot we had to smash the gates open to escape.

That's the one.we were crossing the footbridge when we saw one dustbin being thrown.There were also some trouble at Paddington St according to one or two of the supporters.:tango:

It was paddington at then 

18 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

That's the one.we were crossing the footbridge when we saw one dustbin being thrown.There were also some trouble at Paddington St according to one or two of the supporters.:tango:

It was paddington station it's been that long couldn't remember which station great away days though, I was 12 at the time wish I could get the same buzz back for the club as I had back then.

Edited by Hodgyowl

5 minutes ago, Hodgyowl said:

It was paddington at then 

It was paddington station it's been that long couldn't remember which station great away days though, I was 12 at the time wish I could get the same buzz back for the club as I had back then.

Cheers.My Memory is not as sharp as it used to be,but that dustbin incident still sticks out for me.Going on the ICO Train brings back the wonderful days we had as supporters.Travelling on the Coach now isn't as much fun as it is by train. oh happy days. :tango:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, torryowl said:

Steve woodhead is a blast from the past ....I once shared a police custody  room under the stand  at Victoria ground stoke back in 1968 .feckers kept us  in all game so missed a rare away win .   

Never took you to be a wrong un. I went to that game if its the game John Ritchie scored in the last couple of minutes to win it. Stood on the open away end which was very sparsely populated opposite the very noisy Bootham end.

57 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

Never took you to be a wrong un. I went to that game if its the game John Ritchie scored in the last couple of minutes to win it. Stood on the open away end which was very sparsely populated opposite the very noisy Bootham end.

I got pulled for the heinous crime of chucking a bog roll as the teams came out(I was 14 years old ) ...it was hammering down that day and the copper that got me just wanted to get out of the rain ….cant remember what steve got pulled in for but he was only 2 minutes behind me .I didn't know him  at the time but we had 90 minutes to get to know each other ...many years later when I enrolled my lad in the young owls I met him again as he was running the  group and mentioned that we'd met before. .

• Haha 1

only missed one game that season, Fulham at home.

did every away game, did Darlington have a cricket pitch on the side like Northampton, I'm getting old, cant be sure

great days , daft days out. too much booze, acting lairy good mates, buzzin music

donkey jackets and Doc martens

wouldn't have missed it for the world

9 hours ago, torryowl said:

I got pulled for the heinous crime of chucking a bog roll as the teams came out(I was 14 years old ) ...it was hammering down that day and the copper that got me just wanted to get out of the rain ….cant remember what steve got pulled in for but he was only 2 minutes behind me .I didn't know him  at the time but we had 90 minutes to get to know each other ...many years later when I enrolled my lad in the young owls I met him again as he was running the  group and mentioned that we'd met before. .

I would  also have been 14, was with the Penistone mob. We had to leg it afterwards to the station. Although my memory is pretty shot these days I remember being in a railway carriage with no side running walkway. Once you were in that was it to Manchester then changing stations in Manchester trying to avoid the Manure scarf snatchers who were always lingering around Piccadily. 2nd train being Mancs to Sheff train via woodhead stopping at Penistone. Brilliant times though.

12 hours ago, Rodger Wylde said:

Was Steve Woodhead also known as Cat Weasel? Tall thin bloke with long hair and a beard?

Used to love those trains.

Not how I remember him but there is a bloke, taxi driver, who goes by the above description and used to go to every single game. 

we were sat in the stand to the left of the Wednesday fans but still got wee wee wet through due to the amount of holes in the stand. megsons free kick from 30 odd yards took a wicked deflection and looped over the keepers head.

luckily we had drove down and stopped overnight for that game, the week after we won 3-1 at Brighton and it was red hot.

cracking season.

I remember that we used to be given the old knackered trains to travel on most of the time due to the amount of destruction left behind by pissed up fans (not always Wednesday)

Edited by matt68owls

On 14/04/2020 at 17:58, Musn't Grumble said:

ICO to Exeter, the promotion clincher (forty years nearly to the day!). We lost 1-0 but our main rivals (might have been Chesterfield???) only managed a draw so we were up.

The train was an old ramshacled affair. No heating, no lighting, and it arrived back at Sheffield Midland station about five minutes after closing time. Conspiracy theorists thought that might have been a deliberate ploy to prevent Wednesday fans from flooding the town centre.

However, the fancy dress on the train was a sight to behold and the vision of a gorilla playing three-card brag with Adolf Hitler is something that will stay with me to the grave.

Wasn't there two trains that day?  

• Thanks 1