Used to catch them all the time back in the day had some great away days & plenty of bad ones to great banter remember going to the little hut to book them & getting the little ticket with coach number on & getting excited turning up with a bag full of snap & seeing the regular faces the quizzes on the way down to London etc & stopping off at service stations taking over them beacuse we always travel in great numbers having a collection for the driver on the way home & not putting in if we lost 😂always remember seeing a WEDNESDAY flag on the back window & the fight to get the back seats when the coach pulled up was interesting & you could always guarantee someone would always be late

It was much better when Inter City Owl was a train organised by Steve Woodhead. 

Started at beginning of 79-80 promotion season, I think first train he did was Hull City in League cup. 

12 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Started at beginning of 79-80 promotion season, I think first train he did was Hull City in League cup. 

Not when its Portsmouth and its pizzing down all day. Everybody forced to stand out on the open end and absolutely soacked. Train back sets off 2 hours late, further lengthy delays all way back to Sheffield arriving back about 1.30am. Mind you everybody was smiling as we had won and we all had a good laugh about it.

Edited by Mountain Owl
24 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

Not when its Portsmouth and its pizzing down all day. Everybody forced to stand out on the open end and absolutely soacked. Train back sets off 2 hours late, further lengthy delays all way back to Sheffield arriving back about 1.30am. Mind you everybody was smiling as we had won and we all had a good laugh about it.

Was on that one, in a totally soaked 20kg mohair jumper.

Megson scored the winner from 30 yard.

36 minutes ago, bradowl said:

The one to Stamford Bridge was the most interesting. 

We used to use service trains most of the time, to avoid coppers. Once had to change at some obscure station on way to Manchester. The Inter City Owl pulled up on the other platform for some reason, we got recognised, and subsequently pelted with coins. 

Many thanks to all who contributed to a good pissup when we got to Manchester. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

Everybody on it got their money back as I recall.

The heating broke down on the way home too

"The best poster on Owlstalk by far" - Tony Pulis

3 minutes ago, Grandad said:

That goal of meggos though. Well worth getting pisswet for. Though I was in the stand so I was ok

3 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

I went in seats so stayed completely dry. :tango:

Steve woodhead is a blast from the past ....I once shared a police custody  room under the stand  at Victoria ground stoke back in 1968 .feckers kept us  in all game so missed a rare away win .   

4 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

Yep I was on that one as well. 

At the time the away end was open and if I remember right the police took us round to stand on the home end as it was covered? At the time there was a rumour that the Portsmouth fans were waiting outside for us so hence why they kept us in. The 6.57 crew were still a thing back then.

Don't know if anyone can remember if we did get taken onto their end or if my memories playing tricks?

Once we were back on the train we’d only been set off for a few minutes and we stopped again. Seem to think it was because a train in front of us had broken down and some passengers had gotten off and started walking.

Grandad is right, everyone got their money back. You had to take your ticket to the office at Hillsborough. Mine was drenched and like tissue paper by then so didn’t bother going for my money back.

Edited by alleycat
1 hour ago, Grandad said:

Yep.Was on that train as well,Didn't get back into Sheffield till after 2am in the morning due to the train breaking down. WTF:

Went on the service train to that one, there was a derailment at Havant that caused the delay. Got a lift home at around 4am from ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK Bernard who was on the same train that dropped us off at Doncaster. Thanks Bernie!

The week after Portsmouth away we were away at Brighton.  

I only missed one away game that season (Darlington away in the League Cup).

Without a doubt the best season I’ve had following Wednesday. Some of the away followings were immense. Got some great memories of that season. 

1 minute ago, alleycat said:

The week after Portsmouth away we were away at Brighton.  

I only missed one away game that season (Darlington away in the League Cup).

Without a doubt the best season I’ve had following Wednesday. Some of the away followings were immense. Got some great memories of that season. 

My favourite season too. Went to all but a few.

19 minutes ago, alleycat said:

Yep I was on that one as well. 

At the time the away end was open and if I remember right the police took us round to stand on the home end as it was covered? At the time there was a rumour that the Portsmouth fans were waiting outside for us so hence why they kept us in. The 6.57 crew were still a thing back then.

Don't know if anyone can remember if we did get taken onto their end or if my memories playing tricks?

Once we were back on the train we’d only been set off for a few minutes and we stopped again. Seem to think it was because a train in front of us had broken down and some passengers had gotten off and started walking.

Grandad is right, everyone got their money back. You had to take your ticket to the office at Hillsborough. Mine was drenched and like tissue paper by then so didn’t bother going for my money back.

Yes we were taken on their Kop end to get us out of the rain. Though I think it was more due to the fact thst the police knew that the train had broken down than the 6.57 crew. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

The one to Stamford Bridge was the most interesting. 

Indeed it was.Battle of Fulham Broadway Tube Station 1982/83 season.WTF:

• Like 1