The Green un

Guest Garryswfcowl72

1 hour ago, Ronnie Starling said:

The local leagues section was a must read especially when you had scored the previous weekend and the joy of seeing your name in print.

Played with a lad called Clint who scored regularly. One week his name was spelt with a u instead of li. Not sure how that happened but was great fun for the lads and spawned a new nickname:1276983839_MonkHome:

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Animis said:

In our local newsagents, everyone arrived early and paid for it then stand inside the shop or outside if it was packed, which coincided with a SWFC win. The star van used to pull up and spotters shouted, 'it's here', as it pulled under the bridge.

The driver just pulled onto the path and opened the passenger door with a couple of hundred Green Uns in a bundle - a punter grabbed the bundle and he was ushered into the shop. Big scrum as the newsagent quickly cut the string and handed them out at a alarming speed - like a UN food drop.

The van used to rock up around 6pm, and every now and again it was late - the dogs abuse the driver use to get when this happened :duntmatter:

Mate, Im an ex newsagent and I can confirm that’s exactly how it was.

The biggest problem was not knowing what time it would come.

I was at Abbey Lane and it could be anytime between 6.15 and 6.45  for us. Not so bad if weather was ok but when it wasn’t, having your shop crammed full of people getting increasingly irate the later it got and the banter between friendly rivals becoming more stretched called for UN style diplomacy at times.

Dont miss being a newsagent for a minute even after 20 years but miss the GreenUn. It was part of the fabric of every Saturday for any Sheffield football fan

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, scilly owl said:

I had a postal subscription. It used to arrive on the islands in the Wednesday morning post...made my day. I subscribed to the matchday programme too.

Same to Ireland   used even read the local junior football reports though I hadn't a clue about any of them.

16 hours ago, Garryswfcowl72 said:

Also remember reading it on nights out in town waiting to meets lads before a gallon  in stonehouse & berlins ending up in Cairo’s or the Roxy 

Stonehouse and Berlins, happy days

• Like 1

First Saturday after getting maried ( week before) my beloved made toad in the hole...soz, but it was horrendiously horrid..anyhow just managed it. Then I said, just going for a green ' un...might be 30 mins if they are late..

And had Kentucky chicken while pretend waiting,

When i got back..new father in law had called and been there 25 mins....with a green 'un from my local newsagent...

Kin ell i though, this is gonna be tricky....

lol

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, matt68owls said:

yep, then read it on the bus back to mosborough.

used to enjoy the letters page.

The only downside was that if was late for any reason,there was a fair chance that we'd run into the porcine scrubbers coming back especially if they'd being playing at somewhere like Barnsley or Toytown and then absolute hell would break out.:ph34r::tango:

I well remember 1961/2, when I went to Uni in Newcastle to study Mining Engineering. I was i digs in S Shields. Every Sat, Dad went to Home matches , and even when we were away, his first port of call on way home was a visit to paper shop to buy TWO Green 'Uns, one for him to read, the other was labelled and posted to me. Come Monday, it very quickly became a race between myself  and 'Uncle Bill' as my landlord, a true Geordie, came to be known, to be first home in order to read it. 'Best Sporting Paper I know. Wish we'd got one like it round here.'was.his oft reply.