The Green un

Guest Garryswfcowl72

Guest Garryswfcowl72

A SHEFFIELD footballing institution I miss it was so sad when it went online the banter waiting at newsagents with blunts fans if we had won & they lost & vice versa waiting in town after a game for it to arrive . Great memories 

Guest Garryswfcowl72

Also remember reading it on nights out in town waiting to meets lads before a gallon  in stonehouse & berlins ending up in Cairo’s or the Roxy 

12 minutes ago, Garryswfcowl72 said:

Also remember reading it on nights out in town waiting to meets lads before a gallon  in stonehouse & berlins ending up in Cairo’s or the Roxy 

Roxy...

I only went once, ended up getting home at 7am...helped the police with their enquiries having been a witness to an unsavoury incident involving a knife.

I gave it a miss after that.

Couldn't wait to get back from Maine rd at that Varadi game (promotion season) to read the match report as i couldn't get into the game until 3.30ish due to massive crowds outside.

There was no mobiles or internet to know what the goals were like what i missed. 

The Green un was brilliant and it was even published in time so i could buy it at Pond st. after a home game before i caught the 215 back to Dinnington.

In our local newsagents, everyone arrived early and paid for it then stand inside the shop or outside if it was packed, which coincided with a SWFC win. The star van used to pull up and spotters shouted, 'it's here', as it pulled under the bridge.

The driver just pulled onto the path and opened the passenger door with a couple of hundred Green Uns in a bundle - a punter grabbed the bundle and he was ushered into the shop. Big scrum as the newsagent quickly cut the string and handed them out at a alarming speed - like a UN food drop.

The van used to rock up around 6pm, and every now and again it was late - the dogs abuse the driver use to get when this happened :duntmatter:

• Like 3

I use to deliver Green Un to Blackburn and West Hill (Kimberworth) estates always got good tips when local sides had won. 

It was 8p back in them days so most people gave me 10p telling me to keep change but if Wednesday or United had won I'd sometimes be given a few pence extra. 

1 hour ago, Animis said:

In our local newsagents, everyone arrived early and paid for it then stand inside the shop or outside if it was packed, which coincided with a SWFC win. The star van used to pull up and spotters shouted, 'it's here', as it pulled under the bridge.

The driver just pulled onto the path and opened the passenger door with a couple of hundred Green Uns in a bundle - a punter grabbed the bundle and he was ushered into the shop. Big scrum as the newsagent quickly cut the string and handed them out at a alarming speed - like a UN food drop.

The van used to rock up around 6pm, and every now and again it was late - the dogs abuse the driver use to get when this happened :duntmatter:

Exactly as I remember it too!

9 hours ago, scilly owl said:

I had a postal subscription. It used to arrive on the islands in the Wednesday morning post...made my day. I subscribed to the matchday programme too.

That's still more up to date than the breaking news on The Star website these days....

• Haha 1