Things you remember when you started going to Hillsborough

Ask this again in 20-30 years and you'll get this...

"Programmes 3 quid guy"

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, sherlyegg said:

The End is Nigh man, wonder what happened to him?..

Cedric, lived at Wisewood, died a few years ago.

My first memory is that loads of people used to tear paper up like confetti and throw it up in in the air when the players came out. Nobody does that anymore 

Standing at the front of the Lep dangling the silk scarf that was tied to my wrist over the wall. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, penrhyn bay owl said:

The smell of the burger n hot dog vans 

Used to get there early and park up doing a bit of work in the car. A battered old transit used to come and unload a few of those old equally battered hot dog stands. They were filthy. Scruffy blokes with a dirty white coat on used to come to push them around . Always had a fag on.

Remember the old guy selling The Star who used to sit behind the goal , Kop end in his white smock.

When Wednesday scored he used to throw his flat cap in the air and catch it about half a dozen times accompanied by a thunderous Raaaaaaay from the Kop every time he caught it.

Edited by sheriwozgod
  • Like 1

My Dad taking me to the players entrance behind the South Stand. Giving my autograph book to the commission-ere. Then getting it back ten minutes later signed by Springett Johnson Curtis McAnearny Swan Kay Finney Fantham Shiner Froggat and Wilkinson.

Plus a few names I’d never heard of at the time. Young Gibson O’Donnel and Quinn.

Treasured it for years.

Used to meet my school  mates on the kop and if the game was dull looked over to the South uncovered where my teenage dream ,Julie Clayton sat.

End of most  matches walked back to Greno,just got back in time for the Green Un to arrive.

The crush to get the Football Special bus back to town.

The smell of fags and matches.

Walking through the middle tunnel on the Leppings lane end to be greeted by a vast football stadium

52 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Used to get there early and park up doing a bit of work in the car. A battered old transit used to come and unload a few of those old equally battered hot dog stands. They were filthy. Scruffy blokes with a dirty white coat on used to come to push them around . Always had a fag on.

Dirty barstewards, should have sold bat soup, much more the healthy option

1 hour ago, keefdave said:

Cedric, lived at Wisewood, died a few years ago.

Bloody ell, he was/ looked 70 in the late 60's..can't be the same end is nigh man..can it?

Night matches stick in my memory more than Saturday games. The ramp onto the Kop in the North East corner and that first view of the pitch, staring at the driving rain caught in the floodlights, the cushions thrown from the Cantilever (as I knew it a a kid) , scalding hot OXO drinks on cold nights, my uncle sharing his extra strong mints, Eric Potts, cigarette/cigar smoke, being shielded from the crowd by my Dad and Uncle on the way out, the seemingly endless walk back to the car. Magical.

Pie and Bovril at half time

smell of cigarette and cigar smoke

fans on the Leppings lane and the Kop, waving their arms from side to side above their heads, to each other.

wearing a silk scarf around my wrist and the blue and white woolly scarf round the neck.

letters for half time scores on the south and north stand (always remember Doncaster beating Reading 5-3 at half time, ended 7-5 with Kerry Dixon scoring 4 for Reading).

cushions in the north stand (most ended up on the pitch).

The Sheffield Wednesday Neon sign outside the kop.

How shyte Wednesday were at football (I started going in 73/74).

Edited by matt68owls