Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've seen Penney play a few times (on TV, on online) whilst he's been at St Pauli and he's played pretty well, either as LB or LWB and occasionally on the front of a left three. 

 

He looked good here at first, particularly at LB but, like most inexperienced players his form faltered. The first half v Leeds at home stood out for me, there was a change in his play and he had become almost nonchalant and trying to spray balls around like he was Beckham. 

 

From what I've seen he's gone back to basics and is benefiting from playing football at a good standard. If he moves on then fair enough, might fancy a stay in Germany and I wouldn't blame him. Great country, great fans and great football, even at Bundesliga II level.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he started to believe his own hype a bit too much here. Hopefully his spell in Germany has done him good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, PortlandOwl said:

I think he started to believe his own hype a bit too much here. 



Not sure what this means?

Where have you seen him state that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheffield Wednesday as a club have been very poor at getting the best out of promising youngsters for years and years. This is something that has cost us on a number of occasions. The same can be said of this loan for Matt Penney. As an experience and learning curve this move was perfect, however, not getting his contract sorted first was shocking.

 

However, all I seem to be doing lately is having a pop at the club as everything they seem to be doing is negative IMO, ill not dwell and give my opinion on how we can improve from now. 

 

Penney signing a new contract is MORE important than Fox signing one. Get him tied down long term now. Next season he is our LB. Simple as. He plays and is given a fair run. Hopefully we play a good style of football which should suit him as he likes to get forward and has a good left foot delivery and shot. His defensive side looked decent he always blocked the cross, and he will only get better at that part of his game. He's at the age where a good season in the championship could set him up to be a good player. Ok there are no guarantees but we have to give some players a chance otherwise there never going to progress. He looks like he has the attributes, he has experienced a different environment playing abroad which can only help him. This is the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Penney has potential,its wether he can kick on in the tough world of championship football and become a solid,reliable left sided defender,going foreward he looked good in games at times,but was slow to recover and get back into position to defend.All players can work on aspects of their game to  improve hopefully hes done this as I personally cant see Fox wanting a new deal here and I don't blame him one bit if he didn't.

By the same token Id be disappointed if we couldn't find a better prospect than MF to come in and add some solidity and left hand threat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Penney has potential,its wether he can kick on in the tough world of championship football and become a solid,reliable left sided defender,going foreward he looked good in games at times,but was slow to recover and get back into position to defend.All players can work on aspects of their game to  improve hopefully hes done this as I personally cant see Fox wanting a new deal here and I don't blame him one bit if he didn't.

By the same token Id be disappointed if we couldn't find a better prospect than MF to come in and add some solidity and left hand threat.

Largely agree about Penney. As for Fox I'd hazard a guess that in the current climate he, like many, could well see any new contract offers and potential benefits diminishing by the day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/04/2020 at 09:58, Dutch McLovin said:

Sheffield Wednesday as a club have been very poor at getting the best out of promising youngsters for years and years. This is something that has cost us on a number of occasions. The same can be said of this loan for Matt Penney. As an experience and learning curve this move was perfect, however, not getting his contract sorted first was shocking.

 

However, all I seem to be doing lately is having a pop at the club as everything they seem to be doing is negative IMO, ill not dwell and give my opinion on how we can improve from now. 

 

Penney signing a new contract is MORE important than Fox signing one. Get him tied down long term now. Next season he is our LB. Simple as. He plays and is given a fair run. Hopefully we play a good style of football which should suit him as he likes to get forward and has a good left foot delivery and shot. His defensive side looked decent he always blocked the cross, and he will only get better at that part of his game. He's at the age where a good season in the championship could set him up to be a good player. Ok there are no guarantees but we have to give some players a chance otherwise there never going to progress. He looks like he has the attributes, he has experienced a different environment playing abroad which can only help him. This is the time.

 

Absolutely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...