Matt Penney Article

39 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

To be fair, Penney was loaned out to Bradford and Mansfield as an 18/19 year old and he had 17 outings as a 20 year old with us before picking up the nasty injury that ended his season. This season he's been getting experience in Germany. There is a risk that he'll not re-sign with us but who knows?

We sent him out to Bradford and Mansfield where he made 3 substitute appearances. It is not good enough, we must fix youngsters with clubs that are right for them and where they will play and develop. There is none in the World who can convince me that Penney wasn't good enough for League Two Mansfield when we sent him there. It is that they brought him in as cheep back-up filler and we didn't do anything to interfere.

4 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

At the time those club's seemed reasonable fits to me. Mansfield was unfortunate in that the manager left shortly after recruiting Penney. Could he have been recalled or did the loan terms back then dictate that we coudn't? Whether we think he was good enough cuts little ice if the new manager at Mansfield didn't think him worthy of selection.

Probably have to agree to disagree as I don't blame Wednesday in this instance.

Not sure about that. Bradford was fighting for promotion to Championship and they brought him in as a back up to their best player James Meredith who won their POTY and was voted in League One Team of The Year for that season. Penney had 0 chances of playing there unless Meredith got injured.

You are right that Mansfield lost their manager soon after we sent Penney there. Still, one would expect that we would assure that talent we are sending out will get fair chance of playing rather then letting them get used as cheap back up for inferior players at loaning clubs. Bloody Malvind Benning... :laugh:

25 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

He was only 18 when he went to Bradford and he was playing further forward iirc for our youngsters for much of the time. I don't think he'd settled in as a fullback at that time. I guess it's difficult to secure guarantees in advance for an 18 year old with zero first team experience. I'm sure that both Wednesday and Bradford saw opportunities at the beginning but it didnt pan out. Perhaps at that time it just turned out that he wasn't quite physically ready.

Respect your opinion for sure on these matters but like I say; I'll agree to differ on this occasion.

Remember reading on Bradford's Official Site on the day they signed Penney how he came highly recommended and will be used as aback-up to Meredith as they didn't have any other natural left back in their squad. Also remember thinking to myself why the hell we agreed to this.

Anyway, what happened happened. it is just that I'm afraid of us repeating same mistakes again. It is long overdue to send Preston out on loan. Don't think there is anything left for him to do at U-23 level, perhaps even Borukov and Hunt.

It is fair to say how we are doing better this year with both Penney and Kirby playing, getting much needed experience and hopefully improving.

I also respect your opinion, but as you said it is hard to agree on everything. Cheers.

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

REMINDER

NO POLITICS

It's a thread about Matt Penney ffs

If you wanna talk politics head for the politics section, or the Coronavirus thread in the Dressing Room section of the site

Of which 50% of the posted newspaper clip is related to the Coronavirus. So little wonder people are talking about it in this thread!

Edited by ChapSmurf

9 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

Clare had one decent game and thought he was worth £20k a week. The George Hirst saga is not worth resurrecting

its amazing that some young players who think there it when they clearly aint get given the world before they have done anything . take George  hirst he lives in Sheffield still in ranmoor ive been told in same new complex as a few well known pig players and probably is on a contract similar to what they get at stain even though they play week in week out in top flight ,yet hirst is in and out of Leicester u23s side. take Clarke odd good game at leeds they he suddenly is sold for 15 million given a big wage and since then has done absolutely nothing either for leeds on loan or qpr where he is on loan now. there should be a wage cap until a player has played enough 1st team games. 

Guest LondonOwl313
12 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

its amazing that some young players who think there it when they clearly aint get given the world before they have done anything . take George  hirst he lives in Sheffield still in ranmoor ive been told in same new complex as a few well known pig players and probably is on a contract similar to what they get at stain even though they play week in week out in top flight ,yet hirst is in and out of Leicester u23s side. take Clarke odd good game at leeds they he suddenly is sold for 15 million given a big wage and since then has done absolutely nothing either for leeds on loan or qpr where he is on loan now. there should be a wage cap until a player has played enough 1st team games. 

I think they’re two separate issues money/status it brings and footballing ability/drive to succeed as a pro.

If you cap salaries then it isn’t going to make these young players perform any better. It just means they get paid less money and have a lower sense of self importance. You might say that’s a good thing but if anyone was in their shoes you’d maximise your earning potential too. It’s the clubs that are to blame by paying out this kind of money to compete. And by extension it’s the rich owners who fund vast losses to allow it to happen. As long as there are people happy to fund running football clubs at large losses then nothing will change. The moment there aren’t and clubs have to live within their means the excessive salaries will dry up 

I've seen Penney play a few times (on TV, on online) whilst he's been at St Pauli and he's played pretty well, either as LB or LWB and occasionally on the front of a left three. 

He looked good here at first, particularly at LB but, like most inexperienced players his form faltered. The first half v Leeds at home stood out for me, there was a change in his play and he had become almost nonchalant and trying to spray balls around like he was Beckham. 

From what I've seen he's gone back to basics and is benefiting from playing football at a good standard. If he moves on then fair enough, might fancy a stay in Germany and I wouldn't blame him. Great country, great fans and great football, even at Bundesliga II level.  

Sheffield Wednesday as a club have been very poor at getting the best out of promising youngsters for years and years. This is something that has cost us on a number of occasions. The same can be said of this loan for Matt Penney. As an experience and learning curve this move was perfect, however, not getting his contract sorted first was shocking.

However, all I seem to be doing lately is having a pop at the club as everything they seem to be doing is negative IMO, ill not dwell and give my opinion on how we can improve from now. 

Penney signing a new contract is MORE important than Fox signing one. Get him tied down long term now. Next season he is our LB. Simple as. He plays and is given a fair run. Hopefully we play a good style of football which should suit him as he likes to get forward and has a good left foot delivery and shot. His defensive side looked decent he always blocked the cross, and he will only get better at that part of his game. He's at the age where a good season in the championship could set him up to be a good player. Ok there are no guarantees but we have to give some players a chance otherwise there never going to progress. He looks like he has the attributes, he has experienced a different environment playing abroad which can only help him. This is the time.

Penney has potential,its wether he can kick on in the tough world of championship football and become a solid,reliable left sided defender,going foreward he looked good in games at times,but was slow to recover and get back into position to defend.All players can work on aspects of their game to  improve hopefully hes done this as I personally cant see Fox wanting a new deal here and I don't blame him one bit if he didn't.

By the same token Id be disappointed if we couldn't find a better prospect than MF to come in and add some solidity and left hand threat.

On 16/04/2020 at 09:58, Dutch McLovin said:

Sheffield Wednesday as a club have been very poor at getting the best out of promising youngsters for years and years. This is something that has cost us on a number of occasions. The same can be said of this loan for Matt Penney. As an experience and learning curve this move was perfect, however, not getting his contract sorted first was shocking.

However, all I seem to be doing lately is having a pop at the club as everything they seem to be doing is negative IMO, ill not dwell and give my opinion on how we can improve from now. 

Penney signing a new contract is MORE important than Fox signing one. Get him tied down long term now. Next season he is our LB. Simple as. He plays and is given a fair run. Hopefully we play a good style of football which should suit him as he likes to get forward and has a good left foot delivery and shot. His defensive side looked decent he always blocked the cross, and he will only get better at that part of his game. He's at the age where a good season in the championship could set him up to be a good player. Ok there are no guarantees but we have to give some players a chance otherwise there never going to progress. He looks like he has the attributes, he has experienced a different environment playing abroad which can only help him. This is the time.

Absolutely.