Matt Penney Article

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

He was far from solid in his first few games .off the top of my head I can think of 3 goals that he was culpable  for and recall at the home game against stoke he was starting to get some stick of the south stand for continually giving away possession  .....the lads got a good left foot and if he as brushed up on his defensive game while in germany then he could be an asset. 

I’ll take your comment with a pinch of salt...them south standers can moan about anything !! They’d moan if we had Ronaldo and Messi in the side. 

Penny played 17/18 games for us last season and he looked solid enough in 8/9 of those. The villa game away from home he was really good. His performances dropped when he was pushed forward and found himself running up and down the line, caught between 2 positions. 

I always felt that he was a good player, but performances dropped when he signed his new deal. 

Which is not uncommon with a lot of this squad in all fairness.  

I would definitely have him back with us next season - our full backs are pretty mediocre as it is, so this can only help. 

I saw enough of Penney to hope we can get him on another contract.

I think overall he's got some good potential, but like is common with players fresh from the youth and U23s they can seem to lack that speed of action of what's required for the first team. And as much as I know this is hardly an insurmountable hurdle and should just come with enough games, it's nevertheless hard to be entirely convinced of his potential to step up.

I thought his initial performances were stronger in the back line than when he was pushed further forward, but I do actually think he'd ultimately be more useful as a left midfielder. He looks comfortable giving and receiving the ball, and although he lacks the pace of a winger, his deliveries into the box are pretty good.

Wasn’t a particularly wise decision to send him out on loan during the last year of his contract, unless of course, we wanted rid. From what I saw, and read, he was worth another deal, especially as we weren’t/aren’t well blessed with left backs

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Wasn’t a particularly wise decision to send him out on loan during the last year of his contract, unless of course, we wanted rid. From what I saw, and read, he was worth another deal, especially as we weren’t/aren’t well blessed with left backs

I don't think he has shown anything in his time here to warrant another deal - another Sean Clare who believed his own hype and look where that's landed him!

12 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I disagree...Penny broke into the team as a LB and started brilliantly he looked solid. He showed he could carry the ball forward at pace and comfortably and Jos Luhukay got a bit giddy...he decided to push him forward which for me was a disaster and Penny lost his confidence which coincided with him losing his place.

Play him at left back where he’s comfortable and give him a proper chance to compete for the position. His first 6/7 games he showed enough at LB to be given a decent chance I thought. 

He needs to bulk up not physically strong enough for the championship either

1 minute ago, soldierboyblue said:

I don't think he has shown anything in his time here to warrant another deal - another Sean Clare who believed his own hype and look where that's landed him!

I’d have given Clare a new contract as well In fact he was offered one, and decided to move on, a bit like George Hirst. Wish we had all three in our squad now

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I’d have given Clare a new contract as well In fact he was offered one, and decided to move on, a bit like George Hirst. Wish we had all three in our squad now

Clare had one decent game and thought he was worth £20k a week. The George Hirst saga is not worth resurrecting

1 minute ago, 360wiseowl said:

And what we've already got are physically strong enough, I'd suggest not looking at their last performances. 

Move on. Monk has his plans and I think many of you on here will be surprised. The experts that you like to think you are!!

It's a forum mate and I don't profess to be an expert but have watched us for more than 40 years and know that he got bullied when he played the few games he did.

I suppose another ITK Owlstalker has spoken :duntmatter:

3 minutes ago, 360wiseowl said:

So after 40 yrs you think you are an expert. So he got bullied yes. Yes it's a forum but the only bullies are the ones that appear on here, imo MATE

He had a cracking game against Villa but unfortunately dislocated his shoulder in that match.

He's loving Hamburg and played in front of thousands scoring his first goal in the Hamburg v St. Pauli match 57000 fans, real fans! Why would he want to come back??

I think you might need to go and give your head a wobble pal - I ain't no bully and can't abide anyone who is so please don't call me one. I hope he is enjoying life and good luck to the lad. What will be will be and the club will still be here with or without Matt Penney. 

1 minute ago, 360wiseowl said:

No need to wobble my head pal but yes whatever will be will be

I think you might need to take a chill pill. If you don't like what is put on here don't come on. Debate is debate and for what it's worth I think the lad might have had a future here but calling everyone on here a bully is totally laughable

I would argue it's nothing to do with 'being told to stay at home'. Germans have...

• Much larger testing capacity
  • Greater hospital capacity
  • More accurate way of recording deaths

Prior to this pandemic, we had a lower bed capacity than Poland, so being told to 'protect the NHS' by a Tory, who have done everything in their power to destroy it, is kind of ironic don't you think?

14 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

Because some people are as thick as sh!t.

Two people from London caught going fishing in Devon. A car from Coventry caught going to a house party in Lincoln. Someone caught with a canoe on their car roof. Absolute, first class, arseh0les. Arrest them, charge them with endangering public health, and lock them up for 5 years. And publically shame them, by putting their images on T.V.

The Government don't go far enough, or hard enough, with answers to the Journalists questions in my opinion.

"Secretary of State, when will the lockdown end?"

"When it does! Or would you like us to end it next Tuesday? Or a week on Wednesday? Or perhaps now, would that suit you and your viewers/readers?"

"Secretary of State, when will we have a vaccine?"

"Ooooh, let's see. We've bid for one on eBay, but the Faroe Islands have got the highest bid at the moment. So, I dunno, you tell me seeing as there isn't one available to any country in the world"

"Secretary of State, why don't we have enough PPE?"

"Because the magic PPE factory is closed. All the fairies have gone on holiday. Or maybe, because there is a world shortage. Hey....there's a thought you moron!"

"Secretary of State, why is Germany's death rate so much lower than ours?"

"Simply put, because they have less idiots who ignore the restrictions that have been put in place. And also a lot better testing process than any other country. Or so it seems!"

"Secretary of State, will Sheffield Wednesday be docked points this season?"

"Oh FFS!"

Just shoot them

Problem with Penney is that he turned 22 and he is yet to start his 30'th game at first team level. Preparing talented youngsters for first team football is a long standing problem at Wednesday. We should do more to give them some playing time when appropriate and even more to send them out on loan to "right" clubs in order to help them get some much needed experience and aid their development.

We messed it up with some quality youngsters, hope we won't do it again with those that are still at the club.