Favourite 80s away grounds

1 minute ago, sage owl said:

Genuine question when did it change to 3 points for a win ?.

81/82 season.  We finished 4th, we'd have gone up if it had stayed at 2.

Not sure, but I think Rick Parry brought in the change. 

lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Should have spun it to the Den or Stamford bridge to be honest.:laugh:

If it makes you feel any better my first good hiding at football was Wrexham. 

Then got locked up same night after we got back to Ecclesfield. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Buggerthat! I got nicked there

Thinking on it was 1978.

Spent my 21st birthday travelling to Shrewsbury in 1978. Train from Barnsley to Sheffield, then on to Manchester, then onto Crewe, where they announced the game had been called off 15 minutes before we left Sheffield.

Don’t remember what happened after that.

3 hours ago, Birstall Owl said:

Plough Lane, Manor Ground, Ayresome Park, The Dell, Goldstone Ground, Baseball Ground.

Sadly all gone but firmly have a place in the 80's

Manor ground!! Remember winning 3-0 there, night match I think

3 hours ago, Birstall Owl said:

Plough Lane, Manor Ground, Ayresome Park, The Dell, Goldstone Ground, Baseball Ground.

Sadly all gone but firmly have a place in the 80's

Goldstone was a quirky little ground - saw Wednesday win twice there in 1983 and 1990, both promotion seasons.  Maybe that explains why I liked the place.

Newcastle, Maine Road good days out..Best ones were London though, different feeling, a 2 hour train journey few drinks then,  few more around Leicester Sq or Camden. Had to be aware as plenty of other teams fans around....but to the question Chelsea and Spurs best days out.

1 minute ago, Harrysgame said:

Newcastle, Maine Road good days out..Best ones were London though, different feeling, a 2 hour train journey few drinks then,  few more around Leicester Sq or Camden. Had to be aware as plenty of other teams fans around....but to the question Chelsea and Spurs best days out.

Yeah, it was always a different feeling going to London for some reason. Maybe because as you say, you could bump into fans from any of the London clubs, the teams they were playing or if you were early enough, other teams passing through. Plus the locals who weren't too keen to see you either. 

46 minutes ago, Nut said:

Yeah, it was always a different feeling going to London for some reason. Maybe because as you say, you could bump into fans from any of the London clubs, the teams they were playing or if you were early enough, other teams passing through. Plus the locals who weren't too keen to see you either. 

Yes, was really a them and us. Mid 80's and in to the 90"s was a real north and south thing. Just felt like London especially was a world away from Sheffield. But good times.and now it's southerners wanting to move North!

Allways enjoyed days out to the Midlands clubs.

Lucky that i/we had a mate that would drive to these grounds.

Set off early have a few beers in places like Ripley/Loughborough.

Park up on side streets nearer ground and meet fellow like minded Owls for pre match fun. 

The areas around Filbert street and the Baseball ground allways remind of proper days out and proper football fans.

Many Thanks JD for the numerous ,often ,fun filled away days.

Used to like going to Cambridge’s Abbey Stadium - the uncovered away supporters standing terrace was pretty small, but looking out of the ground from that terrace, all you basically saw in most directions was open fields and countryside.

Plenty of decent pubs in town as well - a good number of which are still there incidentally.