Jump to content
Plonk

March 20th points deduction?

Recommended Posts

Sorry if I’ve missed something but didn’t any points deduction have to be made before this date. And yes I am aware that things have changed dramatically, but I just wonder if amongst the current chaos the EFL have forgotten to amend the rules? Would this give us a loophole to exploit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plonk said:

Sorry if I’ve missed something but didn’t any points deduction have to be made before this date. And yes I am aware that things have changed dramatically, but I just wonder if amongst the current chaos the EFL have forgotten to amend the rules? Would this give us a loophole to exploit?

I believe that was the cut off date for administration points deduction, no date for our situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kingsidney said:

I believe that was the cut off date for administration points deduction, no date for our situation. 

 

2 hours ago, kingsidney said:

I believe that was the cut off date for administration points deduction, no date for our situation. 

Thanks pal, thought it applied to us too. Bugger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think the current pandemic may go a long way to seeing this long running saga end without a resolution?

 

Look at it this way, clubs throughout the EFL are facing a uncertain financial future for obvious reasons. Our great and glorious governing body are even suggesting that the remainder of this season should be played during the summer behind closed doors posing the question how do clubs make money when they resume after all matchday income, sponsorship and advertising are an important source of income particularly to clubs in Leagues One and Two?

 

If the EFL continue to go after Wednesday, Derby, Birmingham etc., then they have to go for the clubs that are going to fail P&S during this crisis even if those clubs include the one owned by that well know bastion of fair play up in Teeside?

 

Personally I think one of the casualties of this pandemic will be the EFL as we currently know it? I totally expect a breakaway group to form and a push for a new league maybe premier league two within the next 12/18 months?

 

Keeping clubs in business should be the EFL’s priority not forcing them potentially to the wall for a failure to adhere to the rules that are not fit for purpose while parachute payments from the premier league are allowed to seemingly give clubs with them a free hand and skew the competition and before someone pipes up about how badly we’ve been run for every Sheffield United type of success there is a Sunderland type of failure.

 

Mr Parry has been appointed by the EFL to be the new sheriff in Town but despite trying to come over all over Wyatt Earp, he’s acting more like the Sheriff of Nottingham IMO? And there will be no shortage of championship Chairman who will fancy the role of Robin Hood in the coming months should he not see the bigger picture once this terrible pandemic is over?

Edited by Great Big Galaa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I think the current pandemic may go a long way to seeing this long running saga end without a resolution?

 

Look at it this way, clubs throughout the EFL are facing a uncertain financial future for obvious reasons. Our great and glorious governing body are even suggesting that the remainder of this season should be played during the summer behind closed doors posing the question how do clubs make money when they resume after all matchday income, sponsorship and advertising are an important source of income particularly to clubs in Leagues One and Two?

 

If the EFL continue to go after Wednesday, Derby, Birmingham etc., then they have to go for the clubs that are going to fail P&S during this crisis even if those clubs include the one owned by that well know bastion of fair play up in Teeside?

 

Personally I think one of the casualties of this pandemic will be the EFL as we currently know it? I totally expect a breakaway group to form and a push for a new league maybe premier league two within the next 12/18 months?

 

Keeping clubs in business should be the EFL’s priority not forcing them potentially to the wall for a failure to adhere to the rules that are not fit for purpose while parachute payments from the premier league are allowed to seemingly give clubs with them a free hand and skew the competition and before someone pipes up about how badly we’ve been run for every Sheffield United type of success there is a Sunderland type of failure.

 

Mr Parry has been appointed by the EFL to be the new sheriff in Town but despite trying to come over all over Wyatt Earp, he’s acting more like the Sheriff of Nottingham IMO? And there will be no shortage of championship Chairman who will fancy the role of Robin Hood in the coming months should he not see the bigger picture once this terrible pandemic is over?

Well said that man.

 

I hope you are right on the breakaway group as the EFL are jokers. They make EFL clubs suffer there way to the Premier League with it all geared for the promoted clubs to fail.

 

Im all for some financial safety but it can be done with contracts. You can protect clubs against owners splashing the cash and then giving the clubs the bill to pay when it goes wrong without all this FFP.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting point raised above.

With no match day income but outgoings, particularly player wages, continuing, then surely all clubs will breach P&S rules. Even clubs with parachute payments are unlikely to comply.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Very interesting point raised above.

With no match day income but outgoings, particularly player wages, continuing, then surely all clubs will breach P&S rules. Even clubs with parachute payments are unlikely to comply.

 

It wouldn’t surprise me if this season was ignored completely for FFP purposes - they might even reset the clock completely re the rolling 3 years. However, that doesn’t mean past sins will be forgiven. HMRC will let me make my July 2020 payment late but I’m sure they’d still be chasing me if I hadn’t paid my January one. 
 

But the EFL actually is the clubs and vice versa not an external body. They’re going to have to be careful that, in these fragile times, their actions don’t push clubs into liquidation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if this season was ignored completely for FFP purposes - they might even reset the clock completely re the rolling 3 years. However, that doesn’t mean past sins will be forgiven. HMRC will let me make my July 2020 payment late but I’m sure they’d still be chasing me if I hadn’t paid my January one. 
 

But the EFL actually is the clubs and vice versa not an external body. They’re going to have to be careful that, in these fragile times, their actions don’t push clubs into liquidation. 


Was going to say the same, the EFL cowboys will probably forget about any loses from 1st March and still seek to punish clubs who fell foul before then.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:


Was going to say the same, the EFL cowboys will probably forget about any loses from 1st March and still seek to punish clubs who fell foul before then.  

 

This happens then you open another can of worms entirely because us, Derby and Birmingham will say they are changing the rules to suit certain clubs should these certain clubs be falling foul of the rules?

 

A breakaway is inevitable IMO just like it was years ago when we initially saw the formation of the Prem?

 

It should’ve happened after the way Bury were seemingly hung out to dry but from the outside looking in, the league seemed hell bent in keeping Bolton in business at all costs? A classic case of inconsistency where governing your entire league of clubs was concerned IMO which is arguably currently happening in the championship with P&S rules?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a broader sense, Corona is the Black Swan event which is going to change (and possibly even break) football forever. 

 

I reckon many average fans of lower league and less well off clubs were saying ‘the growth and influence of money in the game and the ridiculous transfer fees and wages are unsustainable. It has to collapse eventually’

 

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is happening.

 

As far as the EFL goes, I’d go with what a few on here are saying: the EFL rules are about to be radically redrawn in regards to finances. If they persist in sticking their heads in the sand and apply the previous ham fisted rules in Post-Corona football, a breakaway football league will be a certainty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has already been discussed re- ffp due to the present situation.

One championship chairman, who didn't want to be named...said regardless of todays situation clubs who breech ffp should still be punished.

At a guess that would be the borough bloke...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sherlyegg said:

It has already been discussed re- ffp due to the present situation.

One championship chairman, who didn't want to be named...said regardless of todays situation clubs who breech ffp should still be punished.

At a guess that would be the borough bloke...

 

 

If it is Steve Gibson, then that would make no sense at all for him to demand that considering ‘Boro are next on the chopping block. The players refused to take wage cuts and their parachute money has gone.

 

as any judge or lawyer might tell you, don’t stop your opponent from convicting themselves 😁😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 3 parties in the points deduction fiasco:

 

Wednesday Brum Derby

EFL

Other EFL clubs

 

The EFL have to keep going with the persecution of Wednesday Brum Derby to satisfy the rest of the clubs that they have taken this to it's legal conclusion.

 

You can surely imagine the legal ramifications for EFL if they stopped now and Hull and Middlesbrough get relegated.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

 

This happens then you open another can of worms entirely because us, Derby and Birmingham will say they are changing the rules to suit certain clubs should these certain clubs be falling foul of the rules?

 


I can’t see any clubs or the EFL complaining if other clubs fall foul of the rules due to Coronavirus. The 3 clubs you mention broke the rules during “normal” time. Imagine if Chansiri now suddenly said “but we shouldn’t be punished because look at Blackburn, they have now reported a loss due to lack of attendances for the past month, they should be punished too, right? I Can’t see that happening myself 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Owls-Fan said:


I can’t see any clubs or the EFL complaining if other clubs fall foul of the rules due to Coronavirus. The 3 clubs you mention broke the rules during “normal” time. Imagine if Chansiri now suddenly said “but we shouldn’t be punished because look at Blackburn, they have now reported a loss due to lack of attendances for the past month, they should be punished too, right? I Can’t see that happening myself 

 

What will happen is clubs will argue amongst themselves then what you’ll see is a break up of the league. I’d be very surprised if Wednesday and Derby in particular aren’t currently considering there EFL membership then it’s just a case of persuading clubs to join them in a breakaway. It may sound far fetched but does it really? It’s happened before and it’ll more than likely happen again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wor’Jackie said:

 

If it is Steve Gibson, then that would make no sense at all for him to demand that considering ‘Boro are next on the chopping block. The players refused to take wage cuts and their parachute money has gone.

 

as any judge or lawyer might tell you, don’t stop your opponent from convicting themselves 😁😁

As far as i know, borough will be under ffp rules as they stand. The parachute money has gone, they start from scratch now. He's got 3 yrs to spend £39m. He should be able to do that even with the present situation

 

£80m + start on most others...bent as fooook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we were guilty we were guilty. If we weren’t we weren’t. Here we go again blaming other clubs like conspiracy nut-jobs. If he’s transgressed look at the bloke running us in such a shambolic way. If he hasn’t then he’s gotten away with it via an accounting ruse to get round his incompetence. Point your fingers at the real problem. 

 

What may benefit us if we’re found guilty is the current crisis may temper the level of penalties. 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

 

What will happen is clubs will argue amongst themselves then what you’ll see is a break up of the league. I’d be very surprised if Wednesday and Derby in particular aren’t currently considering there EFL membership then it’s just a case of persuading clubs to join them in a breakaway. It may sound far fetched but does it really? It’s happened before and it’ll more than likely happen again?


Well, like I say I would be shocked if we expect other clubs to be punished if they break EFL rules due to the virus. 
 

As for a breakaway league I think that should of happened a long time ago, a Premier league 2 is needed to spread the cash cow milk over more bowls of cereal than just 20. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Great Big Gala said:

 

Personally I think one of the casualties of this pandemic will be the EFL as we currently know it? I totally expect a breakaway group to form and a push for a new league maybe premier league two within the next 12/18 months?

 

Yes, I thnk pulling out of the EFL and forming a new league is what we should be pushing for.

 

I ask you which of the following makes a bigger league?

Wednesday

Leeds

Derby

Forest

Brum

Derby

 

or

Bournemouth

Watford

Brighton

Burnley

Southampton

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

As Great Big Gala said:

 

Personally I think one of the casualties of this pandemic will be the EFL as we currently know it? I totally expect a breakaway group to form and a push for a new league maybe premier league two within the next 12/18 months?

 

Yes, I thnk pulling out of the EFL and forming a new league is what we should be pushing for.

 

I ask you which of the following makes a bigger league?

Wednesday

Leeds

Derby

Forest

Brum

Derby

 

or

Bournemouth

Watford

Brighton

Burnley

Southampton

 

 

Arguably the Top Group but I’ll obviously get accused of being biased 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...