Our best ever striker partnership

Guest Garryswfcowl72

8 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Lots of shouts for Hirst and Atkinson on here.

I'm sure if we did a 'best-ever central midfield partnership' then Sheridan and Palmer would be top. And even a best-ever centre back partnership then Pearson and Shirtliff would be in the mix.

So, you do have to wonder, have the eff we managed to get relegated.

This is where you need to provide some context. We’d been going backwards for a few seasons under Wilkinson as the lack of investment began to take its toll. We then had a disastrous period under Eustace. Big Ron came in and somehow managed to keep us up the season before we went down.

He then brought Shirtliff and Atkinson in to form new partnerships with Pearson and Hirst respectively.

We started that season badly and there were still some glaring holes in the team which Ron quickly addressed bringing in Nilsson, King and Sheridan but that was part way through the season. It was only then that we we started to look like a team and pick up our form. So that’s five new players almost half of a new team, not to mention Palmer who he’d brought in half way through the season before.

Even then Dave Bennett and Franz Carr were not quite right for the right midfield / right wing slot. We were also still pretty fragile and didn’t really have the quality in depth should any of the first xi be out injured or suspended.

A bad run at the end of the season off the back of a poor start and that was us done.

Edited by York_Owl

1 minute ago, York_Owl said:

This is where you need to provide some context. We’d been going backwards for a few seasons under Wilkinson as the lack of investment began to take its toll. We then had a disastrous period under Eustace. Big Ron came in and somehow managed to keep us up the season before we went down.

He then brought Shirtliff and Atkinson in to form new partnerships with Pearson and Hirst respectively.

We started that season badly and there were still some glaring holes in the team which Ron quickly addressed bringing in Nilsson, King and Sheridan but that was part way through the season. It was only then that we we started to look like a team and pick up our form.

Even then Dave Bennett and Franz Carr were not quite right for the right midfield / right wing slot. We were also still pretty fragile and didn’t really have the quality in depth should any of the first xi be out injured or suspended.

A bad run at the end of the season off the back of a poor start and that was us done.

I wasn’t convinced by Hirst at Atkinson as a pairing Both were excellent strikers, but were perhaps too similar. As I recall, both of them wanted to run in behind, but neither wanted to hold the ball up and link play. On their day, both had the attributes, including great pace, which could terrify defenders, but I don’t think they actually linked up very well

Guest Jack the Hat
8 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

We started that season badly and there were still some glaring holes in the team which Ron quickly addressed bringing in Nilsson, King and Sheridan but that was part way through the season. It was only then that we we started to look like a team and pick up our form. So that’s five new players almost half of a new team, not to mention Palmer who he’d brought in half way through the season before.

^^^^^^ this - and Luton winning their last 6 games. Freak season

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I wasn’t convinced by Hirst at Atkinson as a pairing Both were excellent strikers, but were perhaps too similar. As I recall, both of them wanted to run in behind, but neither wanted to hold the ball up and link play. On their day, both had the attributes, including great pace, which could terrify defenders, but I don’t think they actually linked up very well

I know what you mean; both out and out strikers (number 9s if you like) so didn’t really compliment each other. I would put Warhurst in that category too. 

Hirst and Williams were probably a better pairing in that they did compliment each other as Williams was more of a 10. 

Interestingly Big Ron paired Atkinson with Saunders at Villa. If only we had brought Saunders in earlier to partner Hirst!

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Actual partnership was Hirst and Williams. Bright and Warhurst were better players than Williams but due to Hirst’s injuries the three shared striker duties rather than actually forming partnerships.

On 10/04/2020 at 17:29, Thurcroft owl 72 said:

Can't seperate varadi/bannister and hirst/williams

Agree with this for my time watching Wednesday.

83-84: Bannister 22, Varadi 19 - Promoted

90-91: Hirst 29, Williams 17 - Promoted & Won League Cup

10 minutes ago, oldowl67 said:

Makes you think doesn’t it, those 4 scored an abundance of goals running in behind the defence How many goals do we score like that now? I don’t think we have a striker fleet footed enough to run in behind, and sides regularly defend with a high line against us, because they know we can’t hurt them If they can pin our wide players back, we can’t get out

Edited by gurujuan

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Makes you think doesn’t it, those 4 scored an abundance of goals running in behind the defence How many goals do we score like that now? I don’t think we have a striker fleet footed enough to run in behind, and sides regularly defend with a high line against us, because they know we can’t hurt them If they can pin our wide players back, we can’t get out

To be fair the game has changed now. It's more of a passing game not a hoof it long for strikers to run on to. The evolution of pitches has made it that way really. Grass you can actually pass the ball on.

Just now, pazowl55 said:

To be fair the game has changed now. It's more of a passing game not a hoof it long for strikers to run on to. The evolution of pitches has made it that way really. Grass you can actually pass the ball on.

No you’re right it has, but just watching the match of the day highlights, a large percentage of goals are still scored this way Less of a hoof down the pitch, although Liverpool and City are not adverse to playing it long, but players being slipped through by a quick pass. We have the players who can make the pass, but none of the strikers can make that sort of run

Just watched the 2005 promotion review and Youtube and I've struck on the actual answer to this question: Steve MacLean and Kenwyne Jones.

7 games, 13 goals between then. Not only that, undefeated. Jones is quick, powerful and good in the air - defences are terrified of him, and MacLean is so clever in his movement, laying the ball off and deadly in front of goal. Such a shame this partnership didn't have more chance - they would have scored 60 if they'd had a whole season.

10 hours ago, oldowl67 said:

I agree with this and would add McCullough and Curran but none of these were at the highest level which reduces their achievements slightly. 

13 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Just watched the 2005 promotion review and Youtube and I've struck on the actual answer to this question: Steve MacLean and Kenwyne Jones.

7 games, 13 goals between then. Not only that, undefeated. Jones is quick, powerful and good in the air - defences are terrified of him, and MacLean is so clever in his movement, laying the ball off and deadly in front of goal. Such a shame this partnership didn't have more chance - they would have scored 60 if they'd had a whole season.

Beat me to it! Was about to give a shout out to Macca and Peacock/Jones. Statistically not as high as other partnerships mentioned so far, but as far as the understanding they had with  each other and the psychological advantage (or “fear factor”) they provided was key to that seasons eventual success.

Edited by Wor’Jackie

21 hours ago, Nut said:

I agree with this and would add McCullough and Curran but none of these were at the highest level which reduces their achievements slightly. 

Although to be fair to Hirst and Williams they did play at the highest level the next year:

91/92

Hirst: 21 goals, 11 assists

Williams: 10 goals, 8 assists

A little less productive than 90/91, but Hirst and Williams started over 100 games between them in 90/91, but about 70 in 91/92, so goal to game proportion was similar.

It’s Hirst and Williams for me too. That was the first real partnership I remember watching. I’d say Hirst and a Bright was a close second. Can’t really say there’s been too many lasting partnerships after that. There’s Tudgay and Burton I guess but you have to remember that was League One and Championship level.

Guest wilyfox

Clinton Morrison & Paul Heffernan. Clinton waved his arms emphatically, and the Heff was always in the right place right time on the bench. 

Guest Garryswfcowl72
20 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Clinton Morrison & Paul Heffernan. Clinton waved his arms emphatically, and the Heff was always in the right place right time on the bench. 

Clinton always looked moody