Our best ever striker partnership

Guest Garryswfcowl72

3 hours ago, sexpistol said:

David Hirst has said his favourite partner was Williams.

Ye, striking partnerships are worked on complimenting each other. Mark bright was an excellent target man, dalian Atkinson was an exciting front man and warhurst was incredible for a period but Hirst/Williams complimented each other perfectly. Hirst was the main man but Williams ran his nads off, created space for Hirsty and also laid chances on a place for him. It was an excellent partnership.

I also liked the burton and tudgay partnership - it was a lesser level but they complimented each other well at the time. 

2 hours ago, Shetland Owl said:

Hirst & Bright, great partnership

I think you’d be surprised how little they actually played together. 

Guest Jack the Hat
9 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

Good grief

I was thinking the same. Like fish out of water compared to the others. Also my second least favourite pairing was hirst and Williams because Williams was only championship standard - slow and lightweight. Each to their own I suppose.

id go hirst with either Atkinson warhurst or Bright. Also liked Roger Wilde  Tommy Tynan Andy mac and terrycuran in any combination for nostalgia reasons.

Edited by Jack the Hat

Guest Jack the Hat
2 minutes ago, Ian said:

Atkinson and Hirst played together for 1 season.....we were relegated

Good foundation for saying they were our best ever forward partnership 

Not withstanding it was a bit of a freak we were relegated - they were certainly not the reason we went down. In fact you could argue scoring 31 goals for a relegated team is harder than one doing well. Anyone who thinks Williams is better than Atkinson just because he is unselfish has different criteria than me for what makes a good striker.

2 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

Not withstanding it was a bit of a freak we were relegated - they were certainly not the reason we went down. In fact you could argue scoring 31 goals for a relegated team is harder than one doing well. Anyone who thinks Williams is better than Atkinson just because he is unselfish has different criteria than me for what makes a good striker.

It wasn’t a freak at all....we got less points than all but 2 other teams in the league which is exactly the same as most other teams that get relegated every season

31 goals in a season between 2 players is hardly a rousing endorsement for “best partnership ever” given that for many years 30 for 1 was seen as the benchmark

2 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

We aren’t talking about good strikers we are talking about best ever

Guest LondonOwl313

It depends whether you do it on a relative basis to other teams at the time or an absolute basis in direct comparison with each other. If it’s the first then it has to be from a time where we were one of the best teams in the country, so early 90s or 60s. 

If it’s a direct comparison then as an example, I think Fletcher is far better than Andy Booth yet the latter was the main striker for a mid table prem team. The game moves on and evolves. I rewatched the 91 cup final when it was shown on YouTube and the standard of play was lower than the top of the championship is now. So Hooper and Fletcher would probably be up there on that basis, but still likely behind Hirst and Bright 

6 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

I was thinking the same. Like fish out of water compared to the others. Also my second least favourite pairing was hirst and Williams because Williams was only championship standard - slow and lightweight. Each to their own I suppose.

id go hirst with either Atkinson warhurst or Bright. Also liked Roger Wilde  Tommy Tynan Andy mac and terrycuran in any combination for nostalgia reasons.

Wasn't Williams the fastest player we had in the team at the time?

It’s hard to define really, what is a good pairing The best pairings are not always the ones that produced the most goals. Strikers do not, or should not, act as a separate entity, they are part of a side constructed of eleven players. It is after all, a team sport.

The most exciting and complete partnership I've seen us have during my time following Wednesday in the modern era was our first strike partnership I saw in David Hirst and Dalian Atkinson. For me they'd closely be followed by David Hirst and Dalian Atkinson's successor Paul Williams. However, Hirst and Atkinson, seemed to have everything a partnership needs, in goals, pace and power.

Modern era I'd say Hirst and Atkinson out of the forwards I've seen, although statistically many other partnerships bettered them but all time I'd think it would probably have to be Andrew Wilson and whoever partnered him in the pre-war golden era or John Fantham and Keith Ellis or David 'Bronco' Layne in the post-war era? 

• Like 1

Lots of shouts for Hirst and Atkinson on here.

I'm sure if we did a 'best-ever central midfield partnership' then Sheridan and Palmer would be top. And even a best-ever centre back partnership then Pearson and Shirtliff would be in the mix.

So, you do have to wonder, have the eff we managed to get relegated.

Guest Jack the Hat
13 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Wasn't Williams the fastest player we had in the team at the time?

No