Our best ever striker partnership

Guest Garryswfcowl72

45 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Difficult choices there. Purely in terms of two strikers dovetailing and bringing out the best in each other I agree with your pick though.

My first ever game was Owls 5 - Blackburn 2 back in '64(ish). We had a very tasty pairing that day - Layne and Fantham.

First choice: Layne and Fantham, a pairing sadly cut short by bribery scandal. Perfect complementary pairing of classic No.9 & No.10 of that epoch. Layne would have become a legend for the right reasons, Fantham never been matched since.

Second best: Hirst & Bright, which would have been even better if Hirst had not been crippled by Steve Bould and Bright had not perfected the art of heading the ball one yard the wrong side of the post. 

Third best: Bannister & Varadi, who both left the club too soon!

I may be in the minority but I thought the Hirst and Williams partnership was the best in my time watching Wednesday. Hirst was the main man but Williams did so much work and was so unselfish. It was a great partnership.

Edited by Bouncing Owl

Were Hirst and Bright much of a partnership? Hirst's best two seasons were before Bright signed, then he missed at least half the games through injury when Bright was signed, and often wasn't at his best when they did play together. Hirst then had a bit of a renaissance around '96 just as Bright was leaving. Bright and Warhurst had a great run around the start of '93.

1 hour ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Difficult choices there. Purely in terms of two strikers dovetailing and bringing out the best in each other I agree with your pick though.

My first ever game was Owls 5 - Blackburn 2 back in '64(ish). We had a very tasty pairing that day - Layne and Fantham.

Layne had all the attributes to to become a top centre forward possibly at international level.

What a stupid waste.

41 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Were Hirst and Bright much of a partnership? Hirst's best two seasons were before Bright signed, then he missed at least half the games through injury when Bright was signed, and often wasn't at his best when they did play together. Hirst then had a bit of a renaissance around '96 just as Bright was leaving. Bright and Warhurst had a great run around the start of '93.

I think probably in terms of goals, Bright and Warhurst were more effective than Bright and Hirst. Watching them though, they never looked much of a pairing, mainly because Warhurst had no real strikers game, which of course he wasn’t A very difficult man to play with, I would imagine

3 hours ago, Blatter said:

Dooley....and well nobody, wIth 44 goals in a season who needs a partner.

Nay,lad.

He scored 46 league goals in just 30 games.

In my time, Shiner and Froggatt during 1958-9 season.  28 + 26 =  54 league goals between them.

Struggling to think of any since.   Fantham scored 140 for us of course, but never had one really fruitful season.  

Di Canio was brilliant but he was really a winger.

Chapman/Varadi/Banister were underrated. 

Hirst and Bright would have been good, but for Hirst's injury problems.  

The last 25 years have been shocking.    Hooper/Forestieri could have been the ones, but it never quite happened.

1 hour ago, Lincs Owl said:

Nay,lad.

He scored 46 league goals in just 30 games.

In my time, Shiner and Froggatt during 1958-9 season.  28 + 26 =  54 league goals between them.

Struggling to think of any since.   Fantham scored 140 for us of course, but never had one really fruitful season.  

Di Canio was brilliant but he was really a winger.

Chapman/Varadi/Banister were underrated. 

Hirst and Bright would have been good, but for Hirst's injury problems.  

The last 25 years have been shocking.    Hooper/Forestieri could have been the ones, but it never quite happened.

I think you might find 44 of those came in one season though but I’ll stand corrected if wrong.

Shiner and Froggatt were the pairing in my first full season watching Wednesday at Hillsborough and although both at the end of their careers they did a great job.

Promotion that season got me hooked for life and still rarely miss a home game.

3 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I may be in the minority but I thought the Hirst and Williams partnership was the best in my time watching Wednesday. Hirst was the main man but Williams did so much work and was so unselfish. It was a great partnership.

David Hirst has said his favourite partner was Williams.

Although we were relegated, Hirst and Atkinson was exciting, 31 goals between them that season.

Nobody has mentioned Andy Mac and Curran when he played as a striker. I used to like Bannister and Varadi with Cunningham. Then Chapman and Varadi.

Edited by sexpistol

1 hour ago, sexpistol said:

I was stunned at this as well. Surely a successful strike partnership has to score plenty of goals.

Yep, that would be the main priority, but also they should help the team function as a successful unit