@owlstalk

BREAKING NEWS - EFL's 7 point plan to save this season

4 minutes ago, the third man said:

This cant happen with the current restrictions in place, and one they are lifted there will be no need to do it

I think the EFL 7 point plan was based on a relaxing of the lockdown rules based around more readily available testing - rather than the rules being lifted completely

5 minutes ago, the third man said:

Just to repeat

Liverpool played their CL match when people were asked to stay at home and a few days before a lockdown because they saw the money and the glory

And the comment wasn't about risking peoples lives, it was about money

The Johnson press conference telling us to stay home and advising us not to go into pubs etc was a few days .after the Madrid  game.

In retrospect it would have been better if the game hadn’t been played but there were no restrictions in place - football acted ahead of the formal government restrictions and wasn’t flouting any government advice. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

Bottom line is, football is the very definition of non-essential. It exists purely for our entertainment, because we invented it FOR FUN, and should be one of the very LAST areas of society being given any priority whatsoever in terms of financial support or logistical planning.

I appreciate that there are livelihoods involved for people other than just wealthy high-level playing staff, and to those people I am very sorry if I sound harsh or callous.

But some form of prioritisation is going to have to be the new reality as we reboot our economy and society after all this. We simply cannot justify putting spectator sports anywhere other than at the very bottom of the pile, along with other equally non-essential industries like fast fashion, indulgence foods and luxury goods.

The amount of waste, greed and utter frivolity that we’ve come to accept as normal across the board is absolutely shocking and I for one will be rethinking how I prioritise my own life and spending after this. Football plays a role in society that goes beyond the game itself, undoubtedly, and for that reason I will still gladly participate as a fan when the time is right to do so. But I could do that anywhere, for a lot less than £35 a time, and not have to be supporting grotesque wages at the upper echelons of a supposedly grassroots industry that’s lost its damn mind.

There will need to be a massive rethink of the whole thing after this. It cannot carry on the way it has been since the 1990s - this horrible worldwide situation has totally highlighted the utter visibility of the emperor’s dangly bits. Well, about time.

Absolutely.

Football is the very definition of something that is utterly pointless with no fans watching.

By starting up again, clubs are signalling that the needs (and wallets) of gambling addicts in China and the Middle East are more important to them than their own fans, the health of their own staff and that of all the medical staff, broadcasting crews, etc etc that they will have to bring in to run this behind closed doors scheme.

Which we already know they are, but they bloody shouldn't be.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, scram said:

They initially cancelled a weekends worth of games because it was increasingly clear that many teams couldn't take part from having had to self-isolate

Not out of concern from crowds gathering

The initial impetus globally was to play behind closed doors which was never going to work.

Football was slow to act but so was the whole of the world just about - especially the British government. Before the first weekend of cancellations I was umming and aahing about going. I was really glad they took the decision out of my hands. 

The 7 point plan doesn't address the problem of player contracts

Or have I missed something?

3 minutes ago, happy bunny said:

FIFA are looking at that. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, happy bunny said:

Indeed, and unsurprising with contracts being subject to law outside the remit of the EFL/PL/UEFA et al.

Edited by Dagmeister's Shadow

9 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

FIFA are looking at that. 

They are taking legal advice - so will be legions of player lawyers

This is not straightforward and the players always have the option to not play

My guess is that the law will be in their side too - they signed contracts in good faith and fixed-term contracts are pretty water tight

FIFA are not the law

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

The initial impetus globally was to play behind closed doors which was never going to work.

Football was slow to act but so was the whole of the world just about - especially the British government. Before the first weekend of cancellations I was umming and aahing about going. I was really glad they took the decision out of my hands. 

That doesn't negate my point - the originall suspending of matches was because too many teams could not compete that weekend

Not out of any concern for fans going to games and being at risk

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

The Johnson press conference telling us to stay home and advising us not to go into pubs etc was a few days .after the Madrid  game.

It was the weekend before the game, because I usually go to a pub quiz on a Wednesday night and didn't go because of the advice, not the regulations that stopped us, they came into place the Monday after the game

46 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

You mean they’ll finish the season in front of crowds? 

No I am saying under the current restrictions you cant play football behind closed doors

and once the restrictions are lifted, you can have crowds again

14 minutes ago, scram said:

They are taking legal advice - so will be legions of player lawyers

This is not straightforward and the players always have the option to not play

My guess is that the law will be in their side too - they signed contracts in good faith and fixed-term contracts are pretty water tight

FIFA are not the law

And this could be the issue that stymies the plans. If they want to finish because of sporting integrity that could be destroyed by contractual issues - nothing to do with morality or putting lives at risk. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, the third man said:

It was the weekend before the game, because I usually go to a pub quiz on a Wednesday night and didn't go because of the advice, not the regulations that stopped us, they came into place the Monday after the game

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/327fcefe-655c-11ea-a6cd-df28cc3c6a68

This is a news report which dates from after the game suggesting a U-Turn was in the offing. Before that they’d said banning mass gatherings wouldn’t be beneficial. The main advice was to wash hands and stay home if you were sick.  

It was meant to be a gradual ramp up then all of a sudden - after football games were cancelled - they did a massive gear change with the work from home and stay out of pubs instructions. 

Edited by rickygoo

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

I think the plans are highly unlikely to come to fruition but a short sharp end of season before restrictions are put back into place might be the only hope for serious football when the current lockdown ends. 

As for the rest of it you’re making moral and ethical impositions on a sport when it’s simply doing what every other business will be doing - contingency planning. 

In none one of this has football said it’s more important than any other sector.  They’ll play if they can. They won’t if they can’t. And the decision to try and finish this season is no more or less moral than voiding it.

If we were top of the Championship we’d have more of a vested interest in finding a way to finish the season. Anyway at the moment it seems that’s what most clubs want to do and you can see why that’s the neatest option. 

The football authorities are poo. The game is ruined. But I just happen to think that there’s a lot of faux outrage and pomposity about this particular issue. It’s not football that didn’t plan properly for this whole pandemic, run the NHS down, fail to provide sufficient PPE, send out mixed messages, fail to test and contact trace. 

Just chill - they’ll play when they can. They won’t while they can’t. They really aren’t going to “jeopardise the lives of hundreds of people” any more than the rest of us will be doing when the restrictions end.  Inherent risks will remain when we come out of this thing - the legality of having large gatherings will decide whether football with crowds can resume.

Fair enough slag them for naivety or wishful thinking but attacking them for uniquely putting peoples lives at risk is only justified if you assume they will break the law or ignore government recommendations. I simply cannot see that happening. 

With regards to this and especially the type of sentiment in bold, could it be that you have your thoughts on this, and other people have theirs... and that’s perfectly fine.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

And this could be the issue that stymies the plans. If they want to finish because of sporting integrity that could be destroyed by contractual issues - nothing to do with morality or putting lives at risk. 

Surely if there is to be sporting integrity the contractual issues simply shouldn't be an issue

We both know that won't be the case though

1 hour ago, the third man said:

No I am saying under the current restrictions you cant play football behind closed doors

and once the restrictions are lifted, you can have crowds again

Not necessarily

its not black or white

Football clubs and football authorities thinking about how they might play football...down with this sort of thing.

Whatever next...farmers thinking about how to farm; fisherman thinking about how to fish; firemen thinking about how to extinguish fires; milkmen thinking about how to deliver milk; candlestick makers thinking about how to make candles...its just moral bankruptcy.

They should be sat at home being really angry about people not sitting at home.

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Sonny said:

With regards to this and especially the type of sentiment in bold, could it be that you have your thoughts on this, and other people have theirs... and that’s perfectly fine.

It is perfectly fine yes. 

One or two posters seem to have taken it upon themselves to be contrary and willfully misrepresent some of the objections. I've stated perfectly explicitly that forward planning by the game's authorities is perfectly sensible, practical and necessary if they still hope to complete the season (and I have no problem with that either if it's possible). It's also clear that none of this is going to happen in direct contravention of scientific-led government advice.

But the very notion of playing games behind closed doors is a reflection of the inherent health risks involved, even after some of the more extreme measures might start to be relaxed. If there was no risk there would be no need for even considering such a thing.

So given the nature of the virus and it's spreading, plus the sheer number of people involved in completing the schedule of the Premier League and Football League (not forgetting accommodation, facilities, equipment and transport etc) makes it all but inevitable that some new cases would be reported. And that's assuming that no supporters show up, which has already been demonstrated to be wishful thinking and would no doubt be amplified by end of season issues. As soon as there are a few infected it's perfectly possible that vulnerable individuals would also be exposed. And why some are more prone to serious symptoms than others is so far largely unknown apart from the factor of age. By it's very definition, that could be risking the lives of an unknown number of people. This leads to an obvious question; how many cases would it take before the entire thing has to be shelved again? 

• Agree 1