BREAKING NEWS - EFL's 7 point plan to save this season

6 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

They are not going to play if the Government don't give the go ahead. It's a total nonsense to suggest they will.

But they are jumping the gun with regards to even planning for it.  We're a month away from being in a position to even think about doing anything with football.  And even then it's going to be without fans for a significant amount of time.

The fact that they are even thinking about how best to squeeze the end of the season in just so they can get their pieces of silver is nonsense.  And goes further to show how far out of touch with reality they are.  1000 people (near enough) will not being going home today because of COVID-19.  Who gives a flying fart who finishes 9th in league 2.

Just not bothered...

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

They are not going to play if the Government don't give the go ahead. It's a total nonsense to suggest they will.

What if the government advise not to play?

You know, like they sometimes advise people not to travel to certain countries...or they make provisos...you must fund emergency services yourselves, cannot be any spectators etc etc..

Lets be reyt, the government are very very unlikely to say that's it, all over, do what you want any time soon

9 minutes ago, torres said:

A bin man or a footballer?? Seriously??

Football came through 2 world wars I think it will be able to get through having 4 months off 

And it will come through it. However the finance won't be there anymore. The gravy train will have to be turned off. 

We may lose a few clubs, so be it. 

Thats why I say just void it, this season. In the current climate, football is not important. Footballers are not important. 

Edited by Maddogbob

I think modern football is a bit poo. I think money has ruined it - that's one reason I dislike much of what Chansiri has done

BUT

I don't see what people want football to do. It is a business and they're preparing for when we come out of lockdown - just like every other industry is.  Jet 2 will be preparing for when people can go on holiday again. John Lewis will be making plans for when they can re-open their stores. I've just had an email detailing what might be happening to the company I've been working for when the lockdown ends. The difference between football and every other business is that it's in the papers because there's nothing else to put in the sports pages.  

And people are on here posting about football and not out in the community helping the NHS or vulnerable people. Does that make them disrespectful, or callous, or uncaring? Of course it doesn't. 

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

download.png

The EFL have written to clubs outlining a seven point plan to save the season and bizarrely snubbing cash from the Premier League

The seven key points were as follows:

1) Give their players time off starting from NOW and not returning to any form of training until May 16.

Cant start training until the government stops lockdown, no sign of them doing that yet

2) Aiming at crashing through a 56-day season when they can to complete all three divisions

Possible, but if training starts in middle of May, season will start at the end of May, season over end of July, completely ignores player contracts expiring at the end of June

3) Carrying on with play-offs, with home and away semis and a final at a venue to be decided.

See above

4) All games to be closed doors until further notice.

Why? if lockdown is over, and it has to be to play games, why behind closed doors?

5) Clubs are being told to pay the wages of the players this month while talks continue with the PFA about how that can be done.

Nice to see the PFA being the PFA

6) Astonishingly the EFL will put the advance 'rescue' package from the Premier League on hold right now despite clubs needing cash.

WHY? Don't clubs need money to pay the players as the PFA want

7) Arranging a break between seasons, with no set date for the 2020-21 campaign.

Good forward planning, play this season and worry about next season after that, of course next season needs to finished on time because of the Euros

A well thought out plan, but what do you expect from the EFL

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

download.png

The EFL have written to clubs outlining a seven point plan to save the season and bizarrely snubbing cash from the Premier League

The seven key points were as follows:

1) Give their players time off starting from NOW and not returning to any form of training until May 16.

2) Aiming at crashing through a 56-day season when they can to complete all three divisions.

3) Carrying on with play-offs, with home and away semis and a final at a venue to be decided.

4) All games to be closed doors until further notice.

5) Clubs are being told to pay the wages of the players this month while talks continue with the PFA about how that can be done.

6) Astonishingly the EFL will put the advance 'rescue' package from the Premier League on hold right now despite clubs needing cash.

7) Arranging a break between seasons, with no set date for the 2020-21 campaign.

Fake News?.

I don’t really see what other solution there is at this moment in time, other than making the season null and void. Lets say this happened in the 15-16 season; would we be slagging them off? 

Another point, The FA will also no doubt have something to say regarding implications for both the euros next summer and the world cup qualifying period that would follow. The whole thing is a domino effect and I don’t think this current situation should really be seen as more bait to have a go at them. Yes they’ve made very questionable judgment around the financial management at the club but what else can they do.

24 minutes ago, torres said:

I’m on it because I think football is important and I enjoy discussing it 

You are on it despite thinking football isn’t important, are just bored and proclaiming to others how unimportant it all is. 

No restarting the season is unimportant right now. As you said football survived 2 World Wars. 

Secondly, I'll express my opinion wherever I like, as it conflicts with you're opinion or agenda ill apologise. 

Just think people need to reaccess things, a lots going to change after this, hopefully one of things will be football.

I just don't see how it's all financially viable after this, from the man in the street to the big companies. 

Thats why, it needs to stop the money grab, regroup and then come back, which is why I find the Efl unimportantly talking about this now. 

6 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Unless expiring player contracts are extended across the board by a month or two its hard to see how finishing the season will be possible. A legal nightmare on top of everything else.

No way can players contracts be extended by 2/3 months, players that will have or already have moves elsewhere lined up will never go with it in case they end up jeopardising their move through injury.

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

I think modern football is a bit poo. I think money has ruined it - that's one reason I dislike much of what Chansiri has done

BUT

I don't see what people want football to do. It is a business and they're preparing for when we come out of lockdown - just like every other industry is.  Jet 2 will be preparing for when people can go on holiday again. John Lewis will be making plans for when they can re-open their stores. I've just had an email detailing what might be happening to the company I've been working for when the lockdown ends. The difference between football and every other business is that it's in the papers because there's nothing else to put in the sports pages.  

And people are on here posting about football and not out in the community helping the NHS or vulnerable people. Does that make them disrespectful, or callous, or uncaring? Of course it doesn't. 

John Lewis won't be planning to open stores, bring their staff in and make them work, when there are no customers allowed in the stores!  Football exists for one reason and one reason alone: US!  The fans.  Without fans there is no football.  Be it on TV or in the stadia.  But I can tell you for free, people will soon turn off when they are asked to pay to watch soulless games played out like pre-season friendlies, by players who don't want to be there.  When they can't afford to watch because they have been out of work for 3 months or had their wages cut to 80%.

Will West End shows be playing to empty theatres?  I doubt it.

The Premier League is terrified that Sky and the other TV companies will ask for their money back.  They need to be strong enough to call their bluff.  The EFL will just ride their coat tails.  

Just not bothered...

1 hour ago, Maddogbob said:

And it will come through it. However the finance won't be there anymore. The gravy train will have to be turned off. 

Thats why I say just void it, this season. In the current climate, football is not important. Footballers are not important. 

Chuff me I didn't know Dominic Cummings was on Owlstalk.

Edited by FARGATEOWL
Spelling
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

And are desperately coming up with schemes to get it back on before it's safe!  Playing behind closed doors won't keep the players and staff safe.

And wont be allowed under the current regulations, so unless footballers are allowed to do in stadiums what people cant do in the local park it cant happen, and if it does there would be uproar

7 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

John Lewis won't be planning to open stores, bring their staff in and make them work, when there are no customers allowed in the stores!  Football exists for one reason and one reason alone: US!  The fans.  Without fans there is no football.  Be it on TV or in the stadia.  But I can tell you for free, people will soon turn off when they are asked to pay to watch soulless games played out like pre-season friendlies, by players who don't want to be there.  When they can't afford to watch because they have been out of work for 3 months or had their wages cut to 80%.

Will West End shows be playing to empty theatres?  I doubt it.

The Premier League is terrified that Sky and the other TV companies will ask for their money back.  They need to be strong enough to call their bluff.  The EFL will just ride their coat tails.  

They are streaming plays atm for people who'd like to go to the theatre but can't plus you can get hold of films that would be in the cinema. If TV were to pay for more then they would stream more I'm sure. John Lewis and many, many other stores are worse than football in that they are still operating mail order services - just like loads of retailers are.  Fill your boots and buy yourself some new "essential" cushions. 

Football continued in WW1 for a while and in a revamped way throughout WW2. The closed door thing is a way of continuing their business and  - for starters - finishing the season off which will be the neatest thing to do in a financial and a sporting sense.  I think it's highly unlikely to happen but I don't blame them for planning in case it can and I certainly don't think they're disrespecting dead people by doing it or that they will be putting any lives at risk. 

I've read countless times on here that Chansiri can do what he wants because he's the owner, has put up the cash to have the ultimate say so the ten bob millionaires can fizz off. I don't agree with that at all and I'm definitely no fan of the Premier League or the millionaires and billionaires that run the clubs.  But we are living through extraordinary times and playing a few games behind closed doors is no big deal when it comes to the bigger picture. It's certainly no worse than paying players thousands of pounds to sit on their backside or charge ridiculous sums of money to watch mediocre football.   Hopefully this will provide a shock to the system - for fans as much as the authorities who will see that a more democratic, egalitarian sport is what's needed. But playing a few games behind closed doors in the interim won't change things  - the game slipped from our clutches a long time ago. It's all a bit irrelevant and it isn't the real problem. 

37 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Unless expiring player contracts are extended across the board by a month or two its hard to see how finishing the season will be possible. A legal nightmare on top of everything else.

Cant extend contracts unless players agree , its a legal contract with the player

2 hours ago, torres said:

Football came through 2 world wars I think it will be able to get through having 4 months off 

The game as we know it today doesn't even come close to comparing to the game during both wars.

The game survived then due to less reliance on money as players were on wages relative to joe public and as far as I'm aware there were no tv deals or sponsorship obligations, certainly not to the level we see in sport in general these days. 

You are correct, football will come through this one way or another but there is an absolute mess coming that the EFL can't even begin to comprehend. 

What's more, the prospect doesn't even frighten me as I'm praying the game will have to reset and evolve to something more akin to the old days. 

Although I'm not holding my breath on that one. 

I saw my first match on 13 APRIL 1964 and have loved football ever since. Have been a Wednesdayite since 1966. Football has been a constant through my life.  But it is still only a game, a sport, and recently a corrupt, soulless, cheating, money grabbing sport at that.Right now it's completely unimportant.  It's not up to the EFL to decide what  happens.  The government, local authorities, police, NHS, health and safety groups, ambulance service, unions, etc all have a say and simply will not countenance anything like the EFL proposes.  Even if the lockdown is ended in May, it's not business as usual.  Football behind closed doors is absolutely pointless.

A pandemic like this is unheard of since 1919, no-one knows what will happen and thousands are dying.

The only sensible course is to cancel the season and start again , if enough clubs survive. Every other option is simply not feasible. Fairness has nothing to do with it, void the season and lets all concentrate on fighting this awful disease.

• Like 1