BREAKING NEWS - EFL's 7 point plan to save this season

16 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

While accumulating " x " amount of interest. May take years to distribute it all properly.

lol

As I understand, each club in the EFL will be given £800,000. This in an advance as it would normally have been given to the clubs at the end of the season. It’s from the Premier Leagues TV money.

I think the concern from the EFL’s point of view is that if the clubs are given this money now and the clubs then use it to carry on paying the players in full then what happens when THAT money is spent? 

Surely it’s not to much to ask for players (certainly in the Championship) to defer their wages for say 2 months and then reassess the situation then?

10 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Just void the season. 

No promotion no relegation. With the greatest respect, it's the simple solution. 

I'm sorry for those clubs this effects re promotion, but it is what it is. It's not everyday a global pandemic hits.

Why does football think it's even remotely importent at the moment? 

Why does it think it’s remotely important?

Not a day has gone by since it’s not been in the headlines in the last 3 weeks for good and not so good 

Like it or not football is massively important in England 

Football is really disappearing up it's own arse over all this isn't it.  It's got such an over inflated idea of itself it's unfunny.  You've got Premier League chairmen suggesting the season should be completed by playing games in China and now the EFL coming up with this nonsense.  

The suggestions coming out of government seem to be that the lockdown will continue until the end of May, so even if they could get cracking at the start of June, I can't see the government allowing ambulance crews to go sit outside 35 football league grounds every few days just so they can come to an amicable (yet contrived) end.

For me there are 2 options for ending the season.  Neither are "fair" but IMO neither is jamming the end of the season in to a few days in the summer, messing around with contracts, transfer windows etc.  You either wipe the season clean and say sorry but it's out of our hands, 19/20 did not exist. OR you call it to a halt with the current standings being left as they are.  3rd Place goes up or 3rd bottom stays up.  

We're in a position where workers in Tesco are putting themselves at risk on a daily basis, yet multi multi millionaires are worried about TV money.

• Like 2

Just not bothered...

1 minute ago, torres said:

Why does it think it’s remotely important?

Not a day has gone by since it’s not been in the headlines in the last 3 weeks for good and not so good 

Like it or not football is massively important in England 

Not anymore. 

Whats more important a bin man or a footballer? 

Simple fact of the matter, football will not be able to sustain itself. Where is the money coming from? The fans? Not if they haven't got it. Sponsors? Doubt they won't want to pay what they used to?  Sky or bt? Can people really afford it? 

It's really interesting that the hyperbole, might actually come crashing down. 

12 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

If this happens 

That's me done with football

They obviously think football is more important than human lives 

There will be many who feel the same, myself included.

However, do they even care? Profit wins over people every time with the current set up.

I actually hope it all comes crashing down, PL, EFL, Fifa.

Football needs a serious reset and it starts at the top.

47 minutes ago, trumbullowl said:

Why on earth would clubs suffering a cashflow crisis, which will only be worse come June, agree to stage games in empty stadiums?

Part of the plan maybe to play all the games per league at one venue, almost tournament style,

5 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Football is really disappearing up it's own arse over all this isn't it.  It's got such an over inflated idea of itself it's unfunny.  You've got Premier League chairmen suggesting the season should be completed by playing games in China and now the EFL coming up with this nonsense.  

The suggestions coming out of government seem to be that the lockdown will continue until the end of May, so even if they could get cracking at the start of June, I can't see the government allowing ambulance crews to go sit outside 35 football league grounds every few days just so they can come to an amicable (yet contrived) end.

For me there are 2 options for ending the season.  Neither are "fair" but IMO neither is jamming the end of the season in to a few days in the summer, messing around with contracts, transfer windows etc.  You either wipe the season clean and say sorry but it's out of our hands, 19/20 did not exist. OR you call it to a halt with the current standings being left as they are.  3rd Place goes up or 3rd bottom stays up.  

We're in a position where workers in Tesco are putting themselves at risk on a daily basis, yet multi multi millionaires are worried about TV money.

Matti totally backing my point up, couldn't agree more. 

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

What makes you say they think that? They cancelled games before the government said they had to. 

And are desperately coming up with schemes to get it back on before it's safe!  Playing behind closed doors won't keep the players and staff safe.

Just not bothered...

8 minutes ago, alleycat said:

As I understand, each club in the EFL will be given £800,000. This in an advance as it would normally have been given to the clubs at the end of the season. It’s from the Premier Leagues TV money.

I think the concern from the EFL’s point of view is that if the clubs are given this money now and the clubs then use it to carry on paying the players in full then what happens when THAT money is spent? 

Surely it’s not to much to ask for players (certainly in the Championship) to defer their wages for say 2 months and then reassess the situation then?

I am sure that's what may happen but whether they pay it now or later the money will still go towards running the club. 20 million in the EFL bank account for a few months fits for them I would imagine.

3 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

And are desperately coming up with schemes to get it back on before it's safe!  Playing behind closed doors won't keep the players and staff safe.

They are not going to play if the Government don't give the go ahead. It's a total nonsense to suggest they will.

6 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Not anymore. 

Whats more important a bin man or a footballer? 

Simple fact of the matter, football will not be able to sustain itself. Where is the money coming from? The fans? Not if they haven't got it. Sponsors? Doubt they won't want to pay what they used to?  Sky or bt? Can people really afford it? 

It's really interesting that the hyperbole, might actually come crashing down. 

A bin man or a footballer?? Seriously??

Football came through 2 world wars I think it will be able to get through having 4 months off 

How sad is this ,We have people who have died ,I have mate died last week would have been 60 sunday ,A mate who is a Forest fan ,His family have informed me is in induced Coma ,I despair when it is not safe to socially mix ,And the EFL are just thinking about money ,money ,Football is being dragged through the gutter ,EFL are a bloody disgrace .

1 minute ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

How sad is this ,We have people who have died ,I have mate died last week would have been 60 sunday ,A mate who is a Forest fan ,His family have informed me is in induced Coma ,I despair when it is not safe to socially mix ,And the EFL are just thinking about money ,money ,Football is being dragged through the gutter ,EFL are a bloody disgrace .

Sorry to hear about your situation mate.

You're right - money shouldn't be the focus but as we can see these EFL and even some clubs are just purely focussed on it

Sad times

Owlstalk Shop