Goal chalked off

4 hours ago, sheffieldblue said:

Was it?  It was a long time ago. Perhaps the smallest man in the history of football scoring a hat-trick of headers scarred me more than i thought.

I have a blurred and confused memory of this because i recall being stood behind the goal at their old Highfield rd at the famous league cup quarter final.

However, when Speedie scored that hat trick in the game you refer to, i seem to remember being stood at the side of the pitch?

When Coventry were 4-0 up and their fans started singing "we want 5", we sang back "we want one!"

35 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

It doesn’t work like that. If it were 0-0 at the time Hirst scored, would we have been pressing like we were? The first FA cup game was 2 teams trying to cancel each other out.

Oh sorry. Let me take that into accou t on a thread about going back in time and removing a goal. Ffs

• Haha 6

29 minutes ago, Wrightyowl said:

Sooooooo many.

But has to be that late goal by Diamé in the play off final for me.

It wasnt that late and we got  battered that day. Could have easily been a rout.

Linighan in 93 was haunting and what could have been if we won a trophy.

Duffys goal really fizzed me off and seeing that video of us bouncing to being silenced sickens me

Villas two late goals last season were a sickener.

A random one but that goal v Birmingham in 06/07 which stopped us sneaking into playoffs. I always wonder what could have been. We would have kept likes of Brunt if we went up

5 hours ago, fudge27 said:

Hulls goal at Wembley or Arsenals in 93

That wouldn't have made any difference, they were all over us and would have scored again. We didn't turn up on the day, and to make matters worse our bus didn't get out of the nearby bus park till ten o'clock!!

4 hours ago, s29wfc said:

Lees own goal in play off semi against huddersfield , we win that then I'd have fancied our chances beating a poor Reading side in the final. 

This 👆👆 That year was our real chance. We blew it. 

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Huddersfield Equalizer in the second leg of the Play off semi.

I think we’d have had a really good shot at beating Reading.

Can't believe no one posted that earlier. We would possibly still be in the Premier league.

On 09/04/2020 at 22:13, Owl 44 said:

This 👆👆 That year was our real chance. We blew it. 

Agree, far more so than the previous season when we didn't beat any of the top six in the normal season. The play offs in 2016/17 were an open goal for us. We messed up away to Huddersfield due to Carlos's appalling tactics yet despite that we should have beaten Huddersfield. Then there was a poor Reading team waiting to play in the final, compared to having to play a decent Hull team in 2016. 

I would also like to chalk off an Andy Linighan goal, but not the one you're thinking of.

Merson's mis-hit in the '93 League Cup final - it struck Linighan somewhere on the upper body or arm on the way (hard to see exactly, got a feeling VAR might have chalked this off). If Arsenal hadn't of equalised at that moment we would have had more and more of a chance to sit back and hit them on the counter. Hopefully we would have won, maybe even nicked a goal or two more that would (I hope) inflict some psychological damage ahead of the FA Cup final.

As a result, we win the League Cup and FA Cup. Our form is noticed by a young Zinedine Zidane and Fabio Cannavaro, who decide they want to join Tricky Trev's footballing revolution, and we go on to win the league for the next 10 years straight, with Paul Warhurst second only to Alan Shearer on the Premier League all time top scorers list.

Edited by Emerson Thome
somewhere, not someone
  • Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
On 09/04/2020 at 22:52, fudge27 said:

Hulls goal at Wembley or Arsenals in 93

Most definitely the Hull goal. If we’d made the Premier that season I honestly believe we’d still be there. As it is now we are fooked!

Edited by Kagoshimaowl

On 09/04/2020 at 19:16, Pulsar said:

I have a blurred and confused memory of this because i recall being stood behind the goal at their old Highfield rd at the famous league cup quarter final.

However, when Speedie scored that hat trick in the game you refer to, i seem to remember being stood at the side of the pitch?

When Coventry were 4-0 up and their fans started singing "we want 5", we sang back "we want one!"

We had two tiers of seating in a third of the stand down the side. Away following wasnt massive that season (not many sides were) so you may have been stood up down there. Enjoyed cov away at highfield, some bad days and some great days

• Thanks 1