Bovver on the pitch during a game

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-04-08 at 22.24.59.jpg

lol

It's just so funny ha ha ha

I remember seeing him get over the fence, couldn't believe none of the players noticed, only the TV coverage picked it up, I don't think it was shown in the Yorkshire region back then it was covered by Anglia for Norwich, they got promoted that day I believe. I found it on youtube some years ago, that match has been mentioned several times before on Owlstalk, one was just last week about the best away followings to S6 over the years.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, OwlsMan1961 said:

I remember seeing him get over the fence, couldn't believe none of the players noticed, only the TV coverage picked it up, I don't think it was shown in the Yorkshire region back then it was covered by Anglia for Norwich, they got promoted that day I believe. I found it on youtube some years ago, that match has been mentioned several times before on Owlstalk, one was just last week about the best away followings to S6 over the years.

Not sure on this,i think it was the last home match of the 1981/82 season when we played Norwich.We beat then 2-1:tango:

6 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Not sure on this,i think it was the last home match of the 1981/82 season when we played Norwich.We beat then 2-1:tango:

Yeah that's right last match of 1981-82, Norwich got promoted, big Jack stopping the pitch invasions, I was there

First season of 3 points for a win I think

Edited by OwlsMan1961
  • Thanks 1

One of our own Wednesday hero’s....ran on the pitch and took a swing at the then Villa manager, John Gregory..Absolute feeble attempt and totally missed.

I might add that Gregory was being quite annoying during that match as he was near enough running up and down the line.

guessing it was around 1997/98?

12 hours ago, lincolnowl said:

The one your referring to was against United in that Worthington Cup game. Fight broke out in Kop, ends up on pitch and Wednesday fan gets lead away. United fan end ups stood on his own in front of Kop. Chucks a couple of Vs and next minute some bloke in an oversized shirt over his hoody ran on and sparked him. Might have done so by running up the disabled ramp on North, but I might be getting carried away with that. 

It was the Sunderland game when the fan came from the west stand Lincoln. The Wednesday fan did come down the ramp to spark the pig fan who was chased from the kop in the United game though so you're not getting carried away. 

4 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I can neither confirm nor deny lol

Quite a few have Joe Royle some lip on the way past. I remember loads of driving up to Oldham during the week to get tickets. 

2 hours ago, fatzooma said:

One of our own Wednesday hero’s....ran on the pitch and took a swing at the then Villa manager, John Gregory..Absolute feeble attempt and totally missed.

I might add that Gregory was being quite annoying during that match as he was near enough running up and down the line.

guessing it was around 1997/98?

Final game of 1997/1998 season. Lost 3-1 and Sanetti got a cracker of a late consolation, which had us all thinking he was going to be brilliant the following season...

Think it was the day Eagles won the cup at Wembley too.

11 hours ago, OwlsMan1961 said:

Yeah that's right last match of 1981-82, Norwich got promoted, big Jack stopping the pitch invasions, I was there

First season of 3 points for a win I think

You’re right. It was the first season of 3 points for a win.

Interesting fact. Norwich finished 3rd that season on 71 points and got promoted. We finished 4th on 70.

Had it still been 2 points for a win, we’d have been promoted instead of Norwich as we’d have finished on 50 points to their 49.

18 minutes ago, alleycat said:

You’re right. It was the first season of 3 points for a win.

Interesting fact. Norwich finished 3rd that season on 71 points and got promoted. We finished 4th on 70.

Had it still been 2 points for a win, we’d have been promoted instead of Norwich as we’d have finished on 50 points to their 49.

We also threw it away that season, being 6 points clear in third place with around 5 games to play , don't think we won again until that Norwich game!

30 minutes ago, Watto said:

We also threw it away that season, being 6 points clear in third place with around 5 games to play , don't think we won again until that Norwich game!

Yep. Just had a look at the results towards the end of that season.

With 2 games to go we were third and end up finishing fourth.

The 4 results prior to this last game against Norwich were:

0-4 against Watford

0-0 against Chelsea

2-2 against Rotherham

1-3 against Bolton

So we won one (the Norwich game) out of our last 5.

So near and yet so far eh?

6 minutes ago, alleycat said:

Yep. Just had a look at the results towards the end of that season.

With 2 games to go we were third and end up finishing fourth.

The 4 results prior to this last game against Norwich were:

0-4 against Watford

0-0 against Chelsea

2-2 against Rotherham

1-3 against Bolton

So we won one (the Norwich game) out of our last 5.

So near and yet so far eh?

Sme reyt bother at that Watford match as well. 4 0 down after about 20 minutes if I remember so it's not a new thing. Might have been the Barnes and Blissett side.

3 hours ago, Nut said:

Sme reyt bother at that Watford match as well. 4 0 down after about 20 minutes if I remember so it's not a new thing. Might have been the Barnes and Blissett side.

yeah, the Watford game was shocking,we got murdered in the first half and could easily been 6 down by half time. I remember the corrugated iron at the back of the away stand being pulled down and most of the cars around the back of the away end having their windows put through.

the Rotherham night match saw Bannister score an absolute screamer to put us 2-1 up, then Tony Towner dived with Mark Smith about 2 yards away from him in front of the Wednesday fans and the ref fell for it and gave them a penalty. Usual bricks being thrown at you as you walked down the alleyway and when we got back to the car, found out HMS Sheffield had been sunk in the Falklands war.