Semi finals & euro 96 at Hillsborough

Guest Garryswfcowl72

Guest Garryswfcowl72

did anyone ever get tickets to go to any of these games at Hillsborough I went to the semi finals between Coventry & Leeds Norwich & Sunderland & managed to go to Croatia v Denmark in 96 brilliant atmosphere sat with the Danish fans & witnessed a brilliant goal from Davor Suker 

Went to a couple in the 70s when season ticket holders could get tickets. Went to Man U vs  Leeds and Man U vs Derby as my cousin who was a Wednsdayite also supported Man U as he was at Uni over there and used to watch them.

My Dad took me to Leeds v Man U. I was 9 years old and sat just above the tunnel, I'd never been that close to the pitch before and it was amazing.

Won tickets from the Green'Un for Man U v Derby. Went to Denmark v Portugal in '96 and also went to the League Cup Final replay Everton v Villa.

Went to all 3 Euro games: Portugal v Denmark was very good. Sat in the north (wooden seats still).

Denmark v Croatia was brilliant. Sat in upper west by the Croatian fans. Second half Croatia were fantastic. Just before his lob Suker had nearly chipped Schmeicel from half way too.

Denmark v Turkey was poor atmosphere - midweek afternoon, both realistically out, but was pleasing to see the Danes win. 

1 hour ago, Garryswfcowl72 said:

did anyone ever get tickets to go to any of these games at Hillsborough I went to the semi finals between Coventry & Leeds Norwich & Sunderland & managed to go to Croatia v Denmark in 96 brilliant atmosphere sat with the Danish fans & witnessed a brilliant goal from Davor Suker 

I went to the Coventry v Leeds semi final in 1987, sat in North Stand full of Leeds fans, near kop end, it was a cracking game, I had to sit on my hands a bit though, John Sheridan & John Pearson in the starting line up for Leeds and some bloke called Keith Edwards on their bench. I got 2 tickets and my mate didn't show so I sold one to a Leeds fan outside (face value), it was the seat next to me and he never turned up to sit in it.

Got a kop ticket for Man United v Leeds in 1977, think Leeds had the kop that day, when I got to the ground I decided I wasn't bothered so sold the ticket to a Man United fan outside, hope he enjoyed it stood amongst that lot !

4 hours ago, Garryswfcowl72 said:

I remember that Wednesday used to get 5% of the allocation for semi finals as the host club - went to Man Utd v Leeds in 1977 a lot of trouble at that game remember the top being mixed between MU and Leeds fans 1977 Villa v Everton League Cup Final replay. 1980 Arsenal v Liverpool and 1981 Spurs v Wolves (for that one sat Leppings Lane upper tier with the Spurs fans ) some of the Tottenham fans in the standing bit got there late and there was overcrowding so they opened the gates to allow some of the fans to go on the side of the pitch.

The Croatia v Denmark game in 96 was terrific - great goal by Suker and great atmosphere before hand in Hillsborough Park with loads of Danish fans.Lots of noise too with Croatian drummers on the West stand upper tier.

I went to Hillsboro semi finals in 1962 1963 1964 1965 and 1970.   And to all four World Cup games in 1966.   

The semis were all sell outs.  Great atmosphere.  Man U played in 4 of those 5 and didn't win any. They lost to spurs in 62, west ham in 64.  They drew with L**D's in 65 and 70 and lost both replays.

The WC games weren't sell outs because ticket prices were too high. The Germans brought thousands.  Never seen so many flags.  Never any trouble either.  I stood with Argentinian fans on the Kop against Switzerland. Total head cases. Jumping up and down and twirling blue and white brollies and flags for 90 minutes.  Not many of them, maybe under 2,000 but so fanatical.   

I was with Portugal fans on Leppings Lane in 96.   I remember a big Rio Ave flag.  Isn't that Carloses club now?  

1 hour ago, kenny said:

I remember that Wednesday used to get 5% of the allocation for semi finals as the host club - went to Man Utd v Leeds in 1977 a lot of trouble at that game remember the top being mixed between MU and Leeds fans 1977 Villa v Everton League Cup Final replay. 1980 Arsenal v Liverpool and 1981 Spurs v Wolves (for that one sat Leppings Lane upper tier with the Spurs fans ) some of the Tottenham fans in the standing bit got there late and there was overcrowding so they opened the gates to allow some of the fans to go on the side of the pitch.

The Croatia v Denmark game in 96 was terrific - great goal by Suker and great atmosphere before hand in Hillsborough Park with loads of Danish fans.Lots of noise too with Croatian drummers on the West stand upper tier.

Whenever the Leppings lane terrace was full to capacity it looked crammed compared to the kop, there was no filter with regards to numbers of supporters choosing to stand behind the goal or the NW corner (triangle) I believe.

I was on the Upper Leppings Lane for Derby Man Utd. Fantastic view and recall the crowd cheering when the scoreboard showed Red Rum had won the Grand National in 76. 
I was at Leeds v Man Utd on the kop and to this day I remember a potent combination of Brut 33 and Bovril in the air. 
I know I was at Villa v Everton League Cup replay but just don’t remember anything about it 

Went to 2 of the 3 Euro games including being sat in the West Stand right in the middle of the Croatia fans v Denmark. Was also lucky enough to be at Wembley for the Scotland game when Gazza scored. Couldn’t bring myself to chant any England players names though. 
Only neutral game I was at was Liverpool v Forest, less said the better.

Guest LittleG

Went to the Denmark v Croatia match, sat with the Croatian supporters, great set of fans and really good  atmosphere.