Player wages

1 minute ago, fudge27 said:

Is it though. Not been the case for the past 20 years at least

Any football club could make a profit year on year out. On the whole It's about winning things not making money. Some will try to make a quick buck of course.

Id happily gradually get rid of the mega wage players and build with cheaper more youthful players from the lower leagues and Europe.

We need to be far far smarter in our recruitment.

Hopefully Chansiri has learnt his lesson. 

We may even see ticket prices reduced. 

Too far? Fair one.

25 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Any football club could make a profit year on year out. On the whole It's about winning things not making money. Some will try to make a quick buck of course.

Not sure I agree, but each to their own. 

Also no idea who in that squad villa were paying so much! Average of 45k a week? Madness

10 minutes ago, trev said:

Id happily gradually get rid of the mega wage players and build with cheaper more youthful players from the lower leagues and Europe.

We need to be far far smarter in our recruitment.

Hopefully Chansiri has learnt his lesson. 

We may even see ticket prices reduced. 

Too far? Fair one.

I think that's the direction of travel for many championship clubs, hopefully ourselves included. 

In the january window, a few clubs were baulking at player wages, especially from EPL reserves. 

To be fair, our recruitment has improved over recent windows, but needs to get better. 

With a mass clear out, hopefully we can invest in relative youth, actually play them and start generating some asset value in the squad. 

If nothing else during this period of lockdown, plenty of time to be analysing and planning player recruitment. 

Edited by striker

2 hours ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

What do we think to this "potentially" happening ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8197663/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Championship-owners-considering-group-administration-solve-wages-dilemma.html

Just seen in another thread that this particular article has been mentioned,dismiss my link if its not worth/got any legs.

Thats a serious scenario and of course every club will be making and changing contingency plans basically weekly, lets hope it peeks this month at 800 - 8000 a day mark like the IPC have predicted (making me feel sick as i type this tbh) then that would mean another 2/3 months of lockdown.. thats financially doable I think for most big clubs inc. ours but we still do not know alot about the virus and why previous predictions were so wrong, hence the sudden lockdown and need for tests to see if you have the virus, not if you've had it and its now safe for you to go back to work, which was it original idea 

Edited by keepitsteel89

Guest LondonOwl313

I know this data is a couple of years after our play off seasons, but I’d assume it’s fairly similar to them. This is why I don’t understand it when people bash Carlos and complain about how much money he had to spend and that he should have done better because of it.

We finished 6th and 4th by spending the 8th most in the league on average wages. Isn’t that doing a bit better than was expected vs finances