Jump to content
hopevalleyowl

Furlough all staff including first team players

Recommended Posts

Just seen Sunderland have put all staff including first team squad on furlough (£2,500 per month max)

 

Would it not be sensible for every club including us to do this?

 

Unless i’m missing something i can’t believe no-one else has done this with first team players 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on the contract wording surely? Players at some clubs may be un-furlough-able. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, hopevalleyowl said:

Just seen Sunderland have put all staff including first team squad on furlough (£2,500 per month max)

 

Would it not be sensible for every club including us to do this?

 

Unless i’m missing something i can’t believe no-one else has done this with first team players 

 

I'm not sure it would sit very well if we took £65,000 a month off the Government for the hardship of paying our playing staff while continuing to pay them the remaining £1.8M

Sunderland are continuing to ensure their player are paid in full. Not sure how that fits with the scheme being meant for staff who aren't doing any work to the benefit of their employer either. Surely if they are working to a fitness plan and being monitored they are operating a beneficial service to their employer?

 

An agreement over players wages needs to be reached sooner rather than later.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

 

I'm not sure it would sit very well if we took £65,000 a month off the Government for the hardship of paying our playing staff while continuing to pay them the remaining £1.8M

Sunderland are continuing to ensure their player are paid in full. Not sure how that fits with the scheme being meant for staff who aren't doing any work to the benefit of their employer either. Surely if they are working to a fitness plan and being monitored they are operating a beneficial service to their employer?

 

An agreement over players wages needs to be reached sooner rather than later.

 

 

Ah right perhaps i’ve misunderstood, i thought they (players) were getting 80% up to a max of 2,500 a month not full whack.

 

I’m half hoping the bubble bursts and we go back to a more sensible sustainable model

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hopevalleyowl said:

 

Ah right perhaps i’ve misunderstood, i thought they (players) were getting 80% up to a max of 2,500 a month not full whack.

 

I’m half hoping the bubble bursts and we go back to a more sensible sustainable model

 

That's all they are getting from the Government but Sunderland are paying the rest to the players. 

 

Agree totally about this being a watershed moment in terms of hopefully seeing a reduction in wages. So many clubs are living beyond their means in that respect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

 

That's all they are getting from the Government but Sunderland are paying the rest to the players. 

 

Agree totally about this being a watershed moment in terms of hopefully seeing a reduction in wages. So many clubs are living beyond their means in that respect. 

Chickens coming home to roost and it most certainly isn't just football that is going to feel the pinch. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to remember when the Chancellor announced this that it only applied to people earning less than £200,000 a year. Maybe L1 and below players fall into this but most Championship players will be on more than £4000 a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, doubleo said:

I seem to remember when the Chancellor announced this that it only applied to people earning less than £200,000 a year. Maybe L1 and below players fall into this but most Championship players will be on more than £4000 a week.

I don’t think there’s a limit for PAYE employees. There’s a £50k limit for Schedule D and that’s because according to the Chancellor the average income for self employed people earning above £50k is £200k that’s why they can’t claim. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not "government money" it's taxpayer money

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hopevalleyowl said:

Just seen Sunderland have put all staff including first team squad on furlough (£2,500 per month max)

 

Would it not be sensible for every club including us to do this?

 

Unless i’m missing something i can’t believe no-one else has done this with first team players 

Your definitely missing something. Perhaps a brain. 

 

Why should government pay wages when owners are millionaires and more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The scheme is to ensure sensibly paid employees still  get an sensible income to help them survive.......not to help subside obscene  payments to overpaid  pampered footballers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hopevalleyowl said:

Just seen Sunderland have put all staff including first team squad on furlough (£2,500 per month max)

 

Would it not be sensible for every club including us to do this?

 

Unless i’m missing something i can’t believe no-one else has done this with first team players 


yes you a missing something 

 

Morals 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams have to pay players in full or they will be in breach of contract and technically speaking that means they could rip it up and walk away free from the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm sure I read that if Premier league clubs take a 30% duduction on there earnings it works out around 500 million so the inland revenue loose around 200 million in tax so wouldn't it be better increasing the tax rate for footballers to say a extra 20% from any player who earns over a certain amount for the next 3mths then than would benefit everyone apart from the super rich players

Edited by Stuartwawaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

When the illness and suffering side of all this finally passes and the Country has to rebuild the economy, I just hope there’s some sort of “Windfall” tax on the super rich clubs, in fact any organisation that’s taking advantage of the situation.  Call it an NHS Recovery tax, I don't think there would be much opposition amongst ordinary folk.
 

 

 

 

Edited by doubleo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The country will be in that much debt we are all going to have to pay for this in some form at the end of the day. Wouldn't suprise me if there is eventually a hike in the standard tax rate by anything up to an extra 5%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Championship clubs are considering going into 'group administration', every player would then become a free agents immediately.

 

Article in today's Daily Mail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Millhouses said:

Championship clubs are considering going into 'group administration', every player would then become a free agents immediately.

 

Article in today's Daily Mail

Can't see that happening, Daily Mail love a sensational headline to attract clicks. 

They don't care if it's true or rounduns as long as they get everyone viewing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Millhouses said:

Championship clubs are considering going into 'group administration', every player would then become a free agents immediately.

 

Article in today's Daily Mail

I saw that. Didn’t want to tell everyone I read the Daily Mail though. :ph34r:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

I saw that. Didn’t want to tell everyone I read the Daily Mail though. :ph34r:

Daily Mail and Owlstalk. Bet you have a sneeky peek at the Stir as well.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...