Furlough all staff including first team players

Just seen Sunderland have put all staff including first team squad on furlough (£2,500 per month max)

Would it not be sensible for every club including us to do this?

Unless i’m missing something i can’t believe no-one else has done this with first team players 

20 minutes ago, hopevalleyowl said:

Just seen Sunderland have put all staff including first team squad on furlough (£2,500 per month max)

Unless i’m missing something i can’t believe no-one else has done this with first team players 

I'm not sure it would sit very well if we took £65,000 a month off the Government for the hardship of paying our playing staff while continuing to pay them the remaining £1.8M

Sunderland are continuing to ensure their player are paid in full. Not sure how that fits with the scheme being meant for staff who aren't doing any work to the benefit of their employer either. Surely if they are working to a fitness plan and being monitored they are operating a beneficial service to their employer?

An agreement over players wages needs to be reached sooner rather than later.

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I'm not sure it would sit very well if we took £65,000 a month off the Government for the hardship of paying our playing staff while continuing to pay them the remaining £1.8M

Sunderland are continuing to ensure their player are paid in full. Not sure how that fits with the scheme being meant for staff who aren't doing any work to the benefit of their employer either. Surely if they are working to a fitness plan and being monitored they are operating a beneficial service to their employer?

An agreement over players wages needs to be reached sooner rather than later.

Ah right perhaps i’ve misunderstood, i thought they (players) were getting 80% up to a max of 2,500 a month not full whack.

I’m half hoping the bubble bursts and we go back to a more sensible sustainable model

1 minute ago, hopevalleyowl said:

Ah right perhaps i’ve misunderstood, i thought they (players) were getting 80% up to a max of 2,500 a month not full whack.

I’m half hoping the bubble bursts and we go back to a more sensible sustainable model

That's all they are getting from the Government but Sunderland are paying the rest to the players. 

Agree totally about this being a watershed moment in terms of hopefully seeing a reduction in wages. So many clubs are living beyond their means in that respect. 

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That's all they are getting from the Government but Sunderland are paying the rest to the players. 

Agree totally about this being a watershed moment in terms of hopefully seeing a reduction in wages. So many clubs are living beyond their means in that respect. 

Chickens coming home to roost and it most certainly isn't just football that is going to feel the pinch. 

• Like 1

I seem to remember when the Chancellor announced this that it only applied to people earning less than £200,000 a year. Maybe L1 and below players fall into this but most Championship players will be on more than £4000 a week.

2 hours ago, doubleo said:

I seem to remember when the Chancellor announced this that it only applied to people earning less than £200,000 a year. Maybe L1 and below players fall into this but most Championship players will be on more than £4000 a week.

I don’t think there’s a limit for PAYE employees. There’s a £50k limit for Schedule D and that’s because according to the Chancellor the average income for self employed people earning above £50k is £200k that’s why they can’t claim. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hopevalleyowl said:

yes you a missing something 

Morals 

• Like 1

I'm sure I read that if Premier league clubs take a 30% duduction on there earnings it works out around 500 million so the inland revenue loose around 200 million in tax so wouldn't it be better increasing the tax rate for footballers to say a extra 20% from any player who earns over a certain amount for the next 3mths then than would benefit everyone apart from the super rich players

Edited by Stuartwawaw

When the illness and suffering side of all this finally passes and the Country has to rebuild the economy, I just hope there’s some sort of “Windfall” tax on the super rich clubs, in fact any organisation that’s taking advantage of the situation.  Call it an NHS Recovery tax, I don't think there would be much opposition amongst ordinary folk.

Edited by doubleo

18 minutes ago, Millhouses said:

Championship clubs are considering going into 'group administration', every player would then become a free agents immediately.

Article in today's Daily Mail

Can't see that happening, Daily Mail love a sensational headline to attract clicks. 

They don't care if it's true or rounduns as long as they get everyone viewing. 

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
34 minutes ago, Millhouses said:

Championship clubs are considering going into 'group administration', every player would then become a free agents immediately.

Article in today's Daily Mail

I saw that. Didn’t want to tell everyone I read the Daily Mail though. :ph34r:

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
12 minutes ago, Lombado said:

Daily Mail and Owlstalk. Bet you have a sneeky peek at the Stir as well.....

Reputation trashed. Thanks...:duntmatter: