The North East corner at Hillsborough

10 hours ago, Howards back said:

We always called it the triangle all those years ago. 

We always called it the cheese when we were kids. There were a fair few away fans ended up there in the seventies. It never ended well as there was no where to run once you got penned in there. Crazy days.

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The Triangle and The Crows Nest - both of those nicknames have been given to both corners (the North/Kop, and the North/West) in my time

lol

It's very confusing as they both seem to be called the same things! ha ha

We always used to call it The Triangle and the north west corner was the The Crows Nest, which kind of makes sense because at the top it’s quite high. 

I actually watched the Boxing Day Massacre from the Kop triangle and was stood more or less exactly  in the area that Tango would later claim as his own. I had a great view of Mellor’s goal but saw nothing of the others because all the chuffs in the North Stand stood up as we attacked the Leppings Lane end.

12 hours ago, roaminowl said:

IMG_0642.JPG

This is how I remember the kop looking from mid/late 70's until they put the roof on. There's not really a defined area, just an extension of the kop - with a big drop from the top half (possibly explaining 'crows nest').

However, the North/West Corner is pretty much the same shape as it was back then. We called it the triangle...and I still do. Some people call it the cheese wedge, meh. How those names ever got to be used at the North/East corner is beyond me.

The Kop triangle isn’t even on this picture, it’s been demolished as part of the preparations for building the Kop roof. That area immediately below the floodlight pylon isn’t the triangle, the triangle or whatever it’s called was much nearer the North Stand.

29 minutes ago, wiltonowl said:

For many years it used to be the home of 90per cent of people,that travelled on "The Rotherham Owls Coach".

Therefore I name it "Craneys Corner" who allways saved a seat for me for the away days.

Oh great - now we have ANOTHER name for it

lol

Owlstalk Shop

17 hours ago, torres said:

It looked better in the first picture. 

The architect who did that and the cheese wedge wants locking up along with the bloke that signed off the plans 

I was told  the north west corner was originally meant to have a roof put over at a later date as the steps follow on from the north and connect to the west. 

50 years later United did this and its apparently better than the nou camp now !

1 hour ago, oldowl67 said:

The Kop triangle isn’t even on this picture, it’s been demolished as part of the preparations for building the Kop roof. That area immediately below the floodlight pylon isn’t the triangle, the triangle or whatever it’s called was much nearer the North Stand.

I think your right - there used to be a prominent concrete ledge running in front of the elevated area which we used to sit on as kids.

We always used to call the triangle the 'baby pen' - maybe just us?

46 minutes ago, Animis said:

I think your right - there used to be a prominent concrete ledge running in front of the elevated area which we used to sit on as kids.

We always used to call the triangle the 'baby pen' - maybe just us?

If you zoom in on the photo the ledge you’re talking about was where the temporary metal fence is at the end of the terracing. 

The amount of building work they did on and around the Kop towards the end of that season would have had the SAG in meltdown. I’m sure there was a home match with two dirty great holes on the Kop with temporary fencing around.

1 hour ago, wiltonowl said:

For many years it used to be the home of 90per cent of people,that travelled on "The Rotherham Owls Coach".

Therefore I name it "Craneys Corner" who allways saved a seat for me for the away days.

A few still sit/stand there, apart from one who buggered off to Cyprus to live! The part timer. 

• Haha 1