Jump to content
Thurcroft owl 72

Player you loved that not many did

Recommended Posts

Tom Lees. Having a terrible season absolutely no doubt about it. But never seems to get any credit from us, has played over 200 games and been at the heart of twice matching the club clean sheets record and 2 play off campaigns. For a player who cost us next to nothing he’s been a fantastic signing just never been a player that won the fans over. 

  • Agree 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Tom Lees. Having a terrible season absolutely no doubt about it. But never seems to get any credit from us, has played over 200 games and been at the heart of twice matching the club clean sheets record and 2 play off campaigns. For a player who cost us next to nothing he’s been a fantastic signing just never been a player that won the fans over. 


I think the first two seasons he was very much appreciated. 
 

But like a lot of the ‘play off team’ they’ve declined and needed a change of scenery a good couple of years ago. 

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Guy Whittingham.

Not many footballers can pull off a name like “Guy” & his surname makes him sound a bit like D ick Whittington.

Could also play a bit.

Edited by Yellowbelly
Wee pipe Whittington ?!??!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darren Purse, don’t remember him being a particularly good player, but he used to live near us. Decent bloke all around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:


I think the first two seasons he was very much appreciated. 
 

But like a lot of the ‘play off team’ they’ve declined and needed a change of scenery a good couple of years ago. 

I agree. But he never has had that “let off the hook” attitude by fans the same way Bannan and Forestieri seem too. See his name in the team and instantly people lose their mind. 
 

He definitely needs moving on, but he’s nowhere near as bad as some people seem to make out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

Guy Whittingham.

Not many footballers can pull off a name like “Guy” & his surname makes him sound a bit like D ick Whittington.

Could also play a bit.

Very good player - was really decent out wide in later years.

 

 

  • Agree 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HighworthOwl said:

Stevie May... obviously not a world beater but scored some important goals that helped keep us in the division. 

 

Keith Tracey i also thought was a decent player for us but used to get some stick. 

 

Both never went on to a higher level so maybe they where right and i was full of s**t.

 

Keith Tracey. Thought he was great for us. But had forgotten about him. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paul Bradshaw. One of my favourite players in Len Ashurt's team.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:


I think the first two seasons he was very much appreciated. 
 

But like a lot of the ‘play off team’ they’ve declined and needed a change of scenery a good couple of years ago. 

I agree some on here thought he was a £10 million player around his second season. Sadly his form has tailed off and he seems a shadow of that player which has been the reason why some have criticized him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

For my sins, Bothroyd, oh and Simon Stainrod

Really can't comprehend why anything that Bothroyd did in his short stay here would make you love him. He was an absolute disgrace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

 

We should be forever grateful for him coming off the bench and scoring that penalty at Cardiff. Ten minutes from the end in front of 40,000+ dee-dahs - cool as you like!

 

He had some great games, too. At Chesterfield when we won 3-1, he had the home side's defence in knots and scored a couple. I think he even got booked when it was someone else's fault!

Didnt he poke his butt at the spireites kop

after he scored?! I should remember, I was on it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Really can't comprehend why anything that Bothroyd did in his short stay here would make you love him. He was an absolute disgrace.

Probably true, but the guy had talent, and at the time, I can remember hoping he would come good True, to a lesser extent with Stainrod, and a lot more talented players, who really never made the most of their natural ability

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wayne Collins, the team went on a good run with him in the team, was hard working & bagged a few goals, missed a few sitters too though!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Orlando Trustful was some player.

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Mat-Owl said:

Wayne Collins, the team went on a good run with him in the team, was hard working & bagged a few goals, missed a few sitters too though!!

Good call

 

Wasn't a bad player at all.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave Grant

No nonsense left back from our div 3 promotion season. 
Got stuck in and loved to go forward. 
What he lacked in skill he made up for with attitude and effort.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Probably true, but the guy had talent, and at the time, I can remember hoping he would come good True, to a lesser extent with Stainrod, and a lot more talented players, who really never made the most of their natural ability

I hoped Bothroyd would be a good signing but sadly his ego was a lot bigger than his application. Think we were the start of his very quick fall from grace. A wasted talent. Sadly Simon Stainrod was talented but tainted by his past. It was never going to work here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lenny €unt, just for the name. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Probably true, but the guy had talent, and at the time, I can remember hoping he would come good True, to a lesser extent with Stainrod, and a lot more talented players, who really never made the most of their natural ability

 

The fact Bothroyd had talent made it even worse that he simply walked through games without a care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...