Rogers

Nigel Worthington - Wednesday Days

PANINI FOOTBALL 86-#297-SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY & NORTHERN IRELAND ...

NIGEL WORTHINGTON

As we are reminiscing over old players, I thought I'd start a Nigel Worthington thread.

I was making a comment on the Lee Chapman thread; basically staying his defending weren't too clever in the clip showing Wednesday vs Everton at Goodison and I thought he's a bit of an interesting case.....

Most capped International (55 caps), 417 First Team Appearances (13th in SWFC History), League Cup winner, Promotions 83-84 & 90-91, 10 years at the club, the King/ Worthington - Sheridan 'run over the ball' free kick that fooled many teams in the early 90's. He was at the club under various managers in a team that evolved from the 80's and into the 90's.   A Wilko favorite

Then there was the odd lack luster bit of defending and the classic stood on the post Vs Man Utd, classed on some websites as in the Top 5 ever attempts to defend. 

What are people's thoughts of him? Was he ever under pressure to be replaced? was his defending that shocking? Great going forward? Hunchback or Irish? Legend or Steady Eddie? What was he like when he first joined from Notts County? Favorite moments

image.png.818fb693d0b0b40216345893ac668cee.png

He was good, sometimes very good. Up and down the pitch for 90 minutes.

But, he wasn't Lawrie Madden !

Nigel was an excellent professional footballer. He was not  a superstar and he frequently divided opinion amongst the fans but he was a reliable squad player you dont play that number of games for 1 club without having some solid value.

Wednesday legend in my book

good player for us. 

He was a never more or less a 7 out of 10 pretty much every week. 

which over 400 games Is going some.

• Like 1

Someone help me out here, I seem to remember him one v one with the opposition goalkeeper, slid in and caught said goaly in the plums with his studs, keeper smacked him one and they both got sent off, either that or I had too much cheese last night and I just dreamed it :ghoulguy:

Good honest player, knew what his job was and always did it. Goes down as one of my favourite players, just so dependable.

2 hours ago, Drewswfc said:

Wednesday legend in my book

Indeed! 

2 hours ago, s73owl said:

Someone help me out here, I seem to remember him one v one with the opposition goalkeeper, slid in and caught said goaly in the plums with his studs, keeper smacked him one and they both got sent off, either that or I had too much cheese last night and I just dreamed it :ghoulguy:

What the...

lol

22 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What the...

lol

He slid in on the goalie and caught him in the goolies, goalie smacked him and they both got sent off lol

1 minute ago, s73owl said:

He slid in on the goalie and caught him in the goolies, goalie smacked him and they both got sent off lol

Ha ha ha Amazing

I gotta find a video of this

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Ha ha ha Amazing

I gotta find a video of this

I've tried having a quick look this morning but couldn't find anything, good luck 

3 hours ago, s73owl said:

It was against Chelsea at home. I think Kevin Hitchcock was the keeper, and Vinnie Jones then went in goal for them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alanharper said:

It was against Chelsea at home. I think Kevin Hitchcock was the keeper, and Vinnie Jones then went in goal for them. 

Thanks pal

Good solid dependable player who never let the team down and has to be one of Howard Wilkinson's best ever signings.Became a even better player under Big Ron. :tango:

Irish was Mr Dependable, always performed, rarely let you down.

I always think of Denis Irwin when I think of Irish. Similar players, similar era. Irwin was just that little bit better. 8/10 to Irish's 7/10 every week.

Guy who sat next to me back in the day, absolutely hated him.

Nigel went down injured one day and Bob stood on his seat and bellowed, 

“Get foo kin Blacksmith on”.