Nigel Worthington - Wednesday Days

PANINI FOOTBALL 86-#297-SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY & NORTHERN IRELAND ...

NIGEL WORTHINGTON

As we are reminiscing over old players, I thought I'd start a Nigel Worthington thread.

I was making a comment on the Lee Chapman thread; basically staying his defending weren't too clever in the clip showing Wednesday vs Everton at Goodison and I thought he's a bit of an interesting case.....

Most capped International (55 caps), 417 First Team Appearances (13th in SWFC History), League Cup winner, Promotions 83-84 & 90-91, 10 years at the club, the King/ Worthington - Sheridan 'run over the ball' free kick that fooled many teams in the early 90's. He was at the club under various managers in a team that evolved from the 80's and into the 90's.   A Wilko favorite

Then there was the odd lack luster bit of defending and the classic stood on the post Vs Man Utd, classed on some websites as in the Top 5 ever attempts to defend. 

What are people's thoughts of him? Was he ever under pressure to be replaced? was his defending that shocking? Great going forward? Hunchback or Irish? Legend or Steady Eddie? What was he like when he first joined from Notts County? Favorite moments

image.png.818fb693d0b0b40216345893ac668cee.png

Nigel was an excellent professional footballer. He was not  a superstar and he frequently divided opinion amongst the fans but he was a reliable squad player you dont play that number of games for 1 club without having some solid value.

good player for us. 

He was a never more or less a 7 out of 10 pretty much every week. 

which over 400 games Is going some.

Someone help me out here, I seem to remember him one v one with the opposition goalkeeper, slid in and caught said goaly in the plums with his studs, keeper smacked him one and they both got sent off, either that or I had too much cheese last night and I just dreamed it :ghoulguy:

2 hours ago, s73owl said:

Someone help me out here, I seem to remember him one v one with the opposition goalkeeper, slid in and caught said goaly in the plums with his studs, keeper smacked him one and they both got sent off, either that or I had too much cheese last night and I just dreamed it :ghoulguy:

What the...

lol

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, s73owl said:

It was against Chelsea at home. I think Kevin Hitchcock was the keeper, and Vinnie Jones then went in goal for them. 

• Like 1