Big Mick

Guest wilyfox
1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

To be fair I don't think we had a brand of football under Jos, it was just one bizarre selection of players and tactics followed by another completely random approach from one game to the next. 

We've had one season of attractive football in 20yrs - Carlos' first year. That season aside, it's all about scraping results. So I don't understand anyone turning their nose up at the suggestion of McCarthy on playing style.

This group of players also need a manager with presence and authority to contend with some difficult characters in the dressing room. Carlos had it - until his demise. Bruce had it. Jos & Monk do not. 

14 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

Even if we wanted MM, I couldn’t see a headstrong no - nonsense character like him agreeing to come to Hillsborough and working under DC, so the OP’s question is probably academic

Bruce did.

We’d be swapping Monk - a manager who rarely gets the best out of his players and whose teams usually play crap football,

for McCarthy - a manager who often gets the best out of his players and whose teams usually play crap football. So on that score, he would be an improvement. 

But... I’d have serious doubts about whether McCarthy would be the man to get us promoted. 

Having said that, McCarthy strikes me as the sort of manager you’d appoint if you’re working with a limited budget and just want to stay in the division. So he might be just what we need for the next year or two. 

6 hours ago, outlaw pete said:

Mick McCathy is out of contract after his second spell as Ireland manager. Any one fancy him at Hillsborough? Kept Ipswich in the championship on a shoe string..

Your comments would be appreciated.. 

Lets put it this way if we were currently without a manager I’d take Mick in a heartbeat. Our current predicament needs a strong character who can command player respect; I reckon Mick would comfortably fit the bill and I think he’d be up for the challenge.  

MM is in that category with Bruce of managers I think we need - experienced old head who has his own set of staff, knows how a club should be set up, and manages a team rather than takes the role of head coach. MM isn’t the greatest manager in world football, but he wouldn’t accept the poo show that is our boardroom and would give us the experience I think we need. There certainly isn’t any experience of success higher up the chain. 

For these reasons theres not a chance our recruitment team would go for him! 

8 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Based on what?

His brand of football is certainly no worse than we have been subjected to this season.

His ability to get results is far better than the record of our current manager. 

His football makes Monks look like brazil, terrible entertainment.  Ipswich fans despised his tactics and style.

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

His football makes Monks look like brazil, terrible entertainment.  Ipswich fans despised his tactics and style.

His football gets results at this level, our football is terrible to watch and for 3 months we have had a far worse record than every team but 1 in the division and keep losing games before half-time. 

Tell me about the games you have enjoyed seeing us play this season. 

One of the problems we have is a 'Big Time Charlie' attitude amongst the players.  Mick McCarthy wouldnt stand for that and have the authority and experience to sort it out.

I agree the football would be more functional then anything else but so was Megson and Sturrock and both those managers were popular.

I dont see anyone else we could realistically get who would be better.