Sheffield Wednesday player pay deferral deal

What footballers do now is almost irrelevant. The genie is out of the bottle. Since day 1, the only noise coming out of the game has been when they can start playing again. And we all know that is to protect revenue. 

I would laugh my knackers off if Sky went bust, and the game followed it leaving all these big shot owners millions out of pocket. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vulva said:

What footballers do now is almost irrelevant. The genie is out of the bottle. Since day 1, the only noise coming out of the game has been when they can start playing again. And we all know that is to protect revenue. 

I would laugh my knackers off if Sky went bust, and the game followed it leaving all these big shot owners millions out of pocket. 

100% bang on. Makes me puke all this we'll have to finish season gonads

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

They already are hundred of millions out of pocket.

5 minutes ago, vulva said:

We can all go back to watching Sunday league.  

Every business has been the same. Why would you think football would

any different?  Especially if the alternative is the thing you’re craving. 

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

We can all go back to watching Sunday league.  

Every business has been the same. Why would you think football would

any different?  Especially if the alternative is the thing you’re craving. 

It’s the national game. The game has missed a huge opportunity here. PR disaster. 

• Like 1

Guest mkowl
54 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Honest question how many people honestly thing football player pay tax on all of their earnings. They all have management companies set up to reduce their tax.

if Jordan Rhodes is paying £16,000 a week tax on his £40,000 then I stand corrected but I just cannot see it.H

Harry Kane on £12m a season salary has he paid £5m in tax this year.

They do have limited companies for the personal image rights - but HMRC have been all over this recently where this has been deemed excessive element of regular pay 

They have also been investigating the agents. 

I suspect there will be a sting in the tail for the EPL once normality returns 

2 hours ago, mkowl said:

They do have limited companies for the personal image rights - but HMRC have been all over this recently where this has been deemed excessive element of regular pay 

They have also been investigating the agents. 

I suspect there will be a sting in the tail for the EPL once normality returns 

I hope so - really do

As one PL player said to me - premier league players don't pay tax

How true and by what mechanism i don't know

You will be aware of any of the schemes how they can do that

But i do know that any transfer in the PL has a player team involved including a financial advisor to offset tax

young men making money out of rich businessmen who are trying to make money out of them ….who are the culprits ?.....blowed if I know but if I was a player i'd be taking every penny they offered and if I was a rich businessman i'd stick to what made me my money 

49 minutes ago, torryowl said:

young men making money out of rich businessmen who are trying to make money out of them ….who are the culprits ?.....blowed if I know but if I was a player i'd be taking every penny they offered and if I was a rich businessman i'd stick to what made me my money 

Hence how football cannot withstand a few days of shutdown

Great model that...

Guest mkowl
8 hours ago, scram said:

I hope so - really do

As one PL player said to me - premier league players don't pay tax

How true and by what mechanism i don't know

You will be aware of any of the schemes how they can do that

But i do know that any transfer in the PL has a player team involved including a financial advisor to offset tax

Forgot where I saw the article but there have been a significant number of tax investigations into players, agents and clubs. The question of image rights is paramount, it is perfectly legit to set up a company to do that, they are personal after all. What HMRC are doing is contesting the worth of that compared to regular salary. Even if the player is from overseas they will invoke other legislation. 

The sting in the tail if the Govt choose. Wack up employers NI to 30%, increase top rates of tax to 75% levy on transfer fees or TV subscription fees. 

Probably overlooked but the Digital Sales Tax starts today so even hi tech entrants for EPL rights could be hit. 

I think a Govt could get its revenge if it was so minded

11 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Dont fall for any sky tv poverty stories. People are all sat home as we speak paying to watch all the other stuff other than sport they offer. 

Not a lot though, only 13 entertainment channels which aren't free to air otherwise.

Catch up plays only a fraction of the free to air streaming of other providers. Again, they charge more for on demand which plays slightly more, but not all other providers free to air content. 

Movies ok for a short time, but soon get bored of endless repeats. 

Their business is built around sport, of which there is none at the moment.