Sheffield Wednesday player pay deferral deal

Guest wilyfox

How dare they defer Rhodes salary. He's earned every penny of his 3yr furlough 

Edited by wilyfox

49 minutes ago, Animis said:

It's looking like we're unlikely to see many of the players, whose contract's expire on 30 June, again.

Be interesting to see how the football world will deal with these contracts, if they say football will start in July to finish the season off?

This is why the authorities are desperately trying to find any way they can to get the games programme completed before the end of June

And TV contracts run out in mid july....

This is way bigger than football - there can be no compulsion for players to sign contract extensions - nor for clubs to even offer them to players they do not want

Trying to continue this season beyond contract expiry date would be totally absurd

Probably the worst of all possible outcomes

24 minutes ago, scram said:

This is why the authorities are desperately trying to find any way they can to get the games programme completed before the end of June

And TV contracts run out in mid july....

This is way bigger than football - there can be no compulsion for players to sign contract extensions - nor for clubs to even offer them to players they do not want

Trying to continue this season beyond contract expiry date would be totally absurd

Probably the worst of all possible outcomes

So I assume your conclusion would be that this season is essentially ended, and the new season re-starts as normal or slightly delayed in the Autumn if restrictions are removed by then?

The one thing this isn’t is simple.. people who think it’s simple are deluded.

Player taking cuts reduces income to the treasury .. a double whammy! 

Deferment  of payment makes sense for a club whose got around 9 players due out do contract who may require them if season extends after June And need to tie them to getting their cash ... for other less so!!

sponsorship / TV deals / kits deals / insurance all impacted by anything after June... complex .. will be some winners and losers...

players put at risk of injury or loss of pre agreement on new deals .. who picks up the tab post closing of season?

Club legal challenges across the board if not sorted prior to End of June .. club Challenges if voided. 

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I literally don't care about this.

It doesn't affect me one bit whether Forestieri and Palmer get full pay, 30% less, or none at all for a month or so.

Not sure why people are so worried about it

Not sure people are worried about it, just a current topic that is worthy of having a debate about.

Our club has lost a stream of income and will lose more if TV money has to be reduced/renegotiated. The accounts show that we are losing money year on year as it is save for selling the ground. This will get worse if we have to keep paying players the full amount. 

2 minutes ago, dowls said:

The one thing this isn’t is simple.. people who think it’s simple are deluded.

Player taking cuts reduces income to the treasury .. a double whammy! 

Deferment  of payment makes sense for a club whose got around 9 players due out do contract who may require them if season extends after June And need to tie them to getting their cash ... for other less so!!

sponsorship / TV deals / kits deals / insurance all impacted by anything after June... complex .. will be some winners and losers...

players put at risk of injury or loss of pre agreement on new deals .. who picks up the tab post closing of season?

Club legal challenges across the board if not sorted prior to End of June .. club Challenges if voided. 

Nobody said it was simple!

Player cuts should be based on Net pay to protect the money to the treasury at this time.

1 hour ago, Animis said:

So I assume your conclusion would be that this season is essentially ended, and the new season re-starts as normal or slightly delayed in the Autumn if restrictions are removed by then?

Not at all

I fully expect there to be a way this season will be ended by June 30th

The PL want to restart the season by 17th May - that means returning to training by beginning of May at the latest

I do think somehow there will be an agreement with the clubs, PFA and government to get football restarted

I know there are a myriad variables however i do think compromise will be found - whether it's palatable to the fans is another matter...

This is purely about money - not fans, not sporting integrity.

Money. Pure and simple

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Not sure people are worried about it, just a current topic that is worthy of having a debate about.

Our club has lost a stream of income and will lose more if TV money has to be reduced/renegotiated. The accounts show that we are losing money year on year as it is save for selling the ground. This will get worse if we have to keep paying players the full amount. 

Chansiri is loaded so can/should/will cover it surely

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

If owners could just throw money at the losses to cover the accounts we would never have a problem would we?

Not how business or specifically football accounts work. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

If owners could just throw money at the losses to cover the accounts we would never have a problem would we?

Not how business or specifically football accounts work. 

Well I guess that is kinda what happens on a weekly/monthly basis as Chansiri covers the losses of the club out of his own pocket

Owlstalk Shop

Well I guess that is kinda what happens on a weekly/monthly basis as Chansiri covers the losses of the club out of his own pocket

Keep doing that or increase the losses and the club will not be able to operate as a going concern and risks administration. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Keep doing that or increase the losses and the club will not be able to operate as a going concern and risks administration. 

I would hazard a guess that the club's been losing millions since Chansiri took over (and before he did too)

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

irony of that statement with the stuff that get spouted on here regards DC.

His deferment push is clearly linked to fact that a season extension after June leave us horribly exposed to losing most of the first team!

I would hazard a guess that the club's been losing millions since Chansiri took over (and before he did too)

Yes, as is shown by the accounts but the longer that goes on for and the less the club is able to function from day-to-day, week-to-week, month-to-month without external input, the less likely it becomes that auditors will sign off the business as a going concern. 

Guest Ferkorf

I've just seen Rooney jumping on the bandwagon about this after Danny Rose at the weekend.

They are grumbling about a 30% cut.

Fair enough...

Give them a 20% cut just like half of the country has had to do to stay at home.

Time for these pampered possums to fall in line.

Fair enough they are overpaid, they shouldnt be backed into a corner and made scapegoats having to pay 30% just because they are loaded.

But make them lose 20% and they can't complain or moan.

Still getting enough money to live a lavish lifestyle and if they aren't then thats on them 

I would imagine furloughing the entire non playing staff - and seeking a player wage deferral is more to do with us complying with FFP this season than anything else.

It would be simple for the club to say "Our non playing wage bill per month is £200,000.00. Our players earn £2m per month. Therefore if all of our players contribute 10% of their wages - we don't need to burden the taxpayer with furloughs".

It also means that a player on £30k per week - is now on £27k per week - and won't really notice a difference.