Sheffield Wednesday player pay deferral deal

My view is that deferring their pay is nowhere near good enough.  They should be taking a cut - 30% of their annual pay has been mentioned by the Premier League and that seems fair to me, - perhaps with an agreement on a lower level of slary , below which the 30% just won't apply.  That would recognise the lower league players that don't earn so much.

Let's be honest - if these guys (players) have managed their money properly, they own't have to work again after their playing days are over, so 30% of one year's pay is not going to affect them too adversely.

Guest LondonOwl313
12 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

Exactly-it’s not complicated.

You’re basically implying that they can’t be furloughed because then they wouldn’t have a duty to train from home because they’re instructed to. But surely even if the club didn’t tell them to they will want to keep fit because if they pile the weight on they won’t have a career to come back to

Im sure there are other reasons relating to their contracts being different to normal employment contracts or them being financial assets as the reasons why nobody has furloughed players but I don’t think it’s anything to do with training 

31 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

Exactly-it’s not complicated.

Its not, just don't give them instructions, anyone who goes to a gym regularly or trains in any way will be doing their best to continue, difference being they wont have quite the same equipment in their home gym

Edit - Didn't see the above post before I made mine

Edited by the third man

20 minutes ago, scram said:

Players could continue to train. 

Just not under instruction of their club

Absolutely nothing at all to stop them exercising

4 minutes ago, the third man said:

Its not, just don't give them instructions, anyone who goes to a gym regularly or trains in any way will be doing their best to continue, difference being they wont have quite the same equipment in their home gym

Edit - Didn't see the above post before I made mine

Its all very well saying this but if football does return at some point and some players have dedicated more time to their personal fitness than others then the teams that have kept players to a specific regime will undoubtedly be in a better position to resume. As things stand clubs are remotely monitoring the fitness of the players which wouldn't be compulsory if furloughed. 

Besides which, in addition to them effectively working from home it seems there are other elements of their contracts which prevent them from being furloughed in this way and also the tax implications of a significant amount of income tax that helps to fund the country at this time potentially being lost. 

This all forms part of the ongoing discussions between the PL, EFL and PFA though I do think the PFA are trying to be too lenient towards their members from the reports that have come out. 

43 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

I had an answer to the tax argument this morning when I first read it, but it's been a while and can't remember what it is now:)

But I hadn't considered the 40 x 2500, it's a good point.

Suppose it all comes back to the players, in an ideal world it would be nice to see them volunteer to pay the non-playing staff themselves.

In this, we are lucky are owner has money and can make sure the non playing staff are paid in full. If he hadn't I am sure the players would have stepped up.

3 minutes ago, scram said:

Just pointing out that players can continue to exercise if furloughed

And all players will know appropriate exercise regimes

What is an “appropriate exercise regime” ? I’m guessing not a 10 min jog around the block but instead one which is commensurate with being a professional athlete. 

A professional athlete following an “appropriate exercise regime” is doing his job. 

11 minutes ago, scram said:

Just pointing out that players can continue to exercise if furloughed

And all players will know appropriate exercise regimes

Knowing it and sticking to it are two different things, especially if you are furloughed and therefore under no obligation to stick to it strictly and no obligation to be monitored. 

1 minute ago, kobayashi said:

What is an “appropriate exercise regime” ? I’m guessing not a 10 min jog around the block but instead one which is commensurate with being a professional athlete. 

A professional athlete following an “appropriate exercise regime” is doing his job. 

You are wrong.  Totally wrong

Furlough means you cannot do any work for that company

It does not mean the person cannot do things related to their line of work

For e.g. if an accountant is furloughed they cannot work for their company but they can take online accountancy qualifications etc.

Footballers can exercise under the guise of personal development

That is fact

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Knowing it and sticking to it are two different things, especially if you are furloughed and therefore under no obligation to stick to it strictly and no obligation to be monitored. 

Well obviously that's down to the individual

If they wanna binge watch Netflix eating kebabs and drinking beer on the sofa for a month then that's up to them

Just pointing out the fact they will be allowed to exercise at an appropriate level should they wish

9 minutes ago, scram said:

For e.g. if an accountant is furloughed they cannot work for their company but they can take online accountancy qualifications etc.

That is fact

Can't have their fitness regularly monitored by their employer though. 

Of course I wouldn't expect the vast majority to down tools and binge out but small margins make a difference as and when football does return and as has been said this is only a small part of the reason they wont be furloughed. 

10 minutes ago, scram said:

That is fact

A professional athletes training to a professional standard is working. 

1 minute ago, kobayashi said:

A professional athletes training to a professional standard is working. 

If he is out on the football or training pitches it would be. You telling me he cant kick the ball in his back garden. Or set up his own personalised fitness plan in his home gym. Course he can.

12 minutes ago, scram said:

Well obviously that's down to the individual

If they wanna binge watch Netflix eating kebabs and drinking beer on the sofa for a month then that's up to them

Just pointing out the fact they will be allowed to exercise at an appropriate level should they wish

Our players have all been given exercise programmes.

7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Our players have all been given exercise programmes.

Ditto every other professional clubs players

They will also be monitored remotely and have to exercise a set amount of days and sessions per week

If furloughed then all that would stop but what the player chooses to do voluntarily for themselves and without club direction or contact is up to them

It's looking like we're unlikely to see many of the players, whose contract's expire on 30 June, again.

Be interesting to see how the football world will deal with these contracts, if they say football will start in July to finish the season off?