BarnsleyOwl96

Sheffield Wednesday player pay deferral deal

Sheffield Wednesday looking at a pay deferral deal. Big number. Swansea City looking around deferrals for some but not for others. Forest looking at furloughs for non playing staff.

As in delay paying our bills? 

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

As in delay paying our bills? 

Player wages I believe. 

Haven't we already furloughed our non playing staff though but with Chansiri making up the difference in wages.

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Says there they think Chansiri paying non playing staff in full. but I thought we furloughed them ?

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Says there they think Chansiri paying non playing staff in full. but I thought we furloughed them ?

I believe he's making up the difference.

Still don't understand why you can't furlough playing staff?

• Like 1

Just now, Weshallovercome said:

Because they’d only get £2500 a month. No point when our average salary is say £15k a week.

Just now, Weshallovercome said:

That's what I thought. 

We have players on to much to furlough staff would be one concern. They would only be getting about 10% odd of there actual wage. Also if every club did that think of the strain on the government. paying 2500 a month to say 40 people per club in most cases. 

Also and the most important one of all is we furloughed them they would no longer pay massive amounts of tax which the government need. 

If every club could furlough playing staff and it be ok to do so they would as thats probably 80% of there total outgoings.

PL really should be ashamed, absolutely amazed that they, well, (some) of them have jumped on this offer from the government. Something designed to keep businesses afloat, and to allow ordinary folk to keep their jobs in this very difficult time has imho been taken advantage of by businesses showing a profit of millions after tax.

They then, through the PFA decide to counter act it by stating that the loss in tax will affect the NHS. Absolutely bang out of order.

Now I can understand Championship sides or at least some of them using this, and L1 & L2 and below absolutely. The deferral that is being talked about here is a must for us. They will still get their wages, just later on. I genuinely can't see too many championship footballers not being able to survive a few months if needs be without cash if it means helping their club out. I guess we'll see.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

Probably because  to be furloughed you cannot undertake any activity related to your employment. As a footballer is an athlete that would mean he wouldn’t be allowed to train, as training is part of his job.

Edited by kobayashi

8 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

Probably because  to be furloughed you cannot undertake any activity related to your employment. As a footballer is an athlete that would mean he wouldn’t be allowed to train, as training is part of his job.

They are not training at the club so I am sure they could train at home, they will all have gyms

12 minutes ago, the third man said:

They are not training at the club so I am sure they could train at home, they will all have gyms

But they are training at home under specific instruction from the club, it is part of their job so they can't be furloughed. 

15 minutes ago, the third man said:

All the players have a training regime they must follow, so in effect are they working from home?

34 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

That's what I thought. 

We have players on to much to furlough staff would be one concern. They would only be getting about 10% odd of there actual wage. Also if every club did that think of the strain on the government. paying 2500 a month to say 40 people per club in most cases. 

Also and the most important one of all is we furloughed them they would no longer pay massive amounts of tax which the government need. 

If every club could furlough playing staff and it be ok to do so they would as thats probably 80% of there total outgoings.

I had an answer to the tax argument this morning when I first read it, but it's been a while and can't remember what it is now:)

But I hadn't considered the 40 x 2500, it's a good point.

Suppose it all comes back to the players, in an ideal world it would be nice to see them volunteer to pay the non-playing staff themselves.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But they are training at home under specific instruction from the club, it is part of their job so they can't be furloughed. 

Exactly-it’s not complicated.

27 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

If that's the case then just tell them to stop training, especially the ones with contracts running out.

Preferable to your club going out of business.

13 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

Exactly-it’s not complicated.

Players could continue to train. 

Just not under instruction of their club

Absolutely nothing at all to stop them exercising