On This day in 1986 :-(

Knew what this was straight away, remember my Dad picking up me and a school friend (who was the biggest Owl I knew at the time, but then changed alliance to the dark side, because "they have a better firm" what a tail! but that's another story, back on track) the excitement on the way down and the atmosphere around the ground once we got there.

After the disappointment of 3 Years earlier, although we underdogs, this time it would be different, I just knew it.

Entered the ground onto the huge Holte End, wow a kop even bigger than our own, the Atmosphere at fever pitch with the Evertonions also very loud not far to our right.

This time in a Semi our support is slightly outnumbered but certainly not out shouted. 

We play well, then slightly against the run of play they score, the noise to our right, the devastation and despair. Then our fans replt with our own noise "sing your hearts out for the lads" we blast out.

The devastation and despair doesn't last long at all, the lads on the pitch lifted by our efforts on the terraces and in the stand summon the spirit to score a quick equaliser.

Wow, now the Noise! and the Glee not only on the pitch but my main memory is of bodies and limbs everywhere, somehow I stay close to my Dad, this time we will do it, I know it, my Dad knows it, nearly every Wednesday fan there knows it.

We continue to play well against very good opposition the tension is palpable.

Onto extra time and the devastation and utter despair of Sharpe giving them the lead again.

We continue pressing, we're still not out of this yet, the players give everthing, the fans give everything back, the players give a bit more, the fans give yet more everybody desperate for the Goal that could still save us and give the chance of Wembley Glory.

The minutes slowly, agonisingly pass, the goal never comes.

The players have given everything, away to Right Evertonions celebrate wildly, while we are left with nothing but utter despair.

We rouse ourselves for a chorus " Of we're proud of you" we've given our all the players have given there all but again it's not quite good enough.

I will never see my team play at Wembley, my Dad tries to comfort with me with "always next year son" it doesn't work, this was our time and again it's ended in heartbreak. Again!

Looking back fantastic memories of the days when the FA Cup was The competion to win, it was magical, everybody wanted to win it more than anything else and in a months time the Footballs worlds focus would all be centred on Wembley, but I/we wouldn't be there as always it would be the TV for THE CUP FINAL for me.

We'll do it one day son says Dad.(probably as much to console himself as me)

Broken I don't believe him.

We'll never do it, Never.

Roll on next Season, that'll be the Year! 

The joys of being a football fan or more importantly a Wednesday Fan. 

UTO. WTID!

• Like 5

People forget just how good Everton were at the time - probably the 2nd best in the country after Liverpool, but not that far behind.

I remember talking to some Everton fans that Summer in Spain on hols, and they had nothing but good words for us as a club, team and fans. I always look out for their scores and think of them, like us, Villa, Newcastle etc, as proper clubs.

13 minutes ago, Animis said:

People forget just how good Everton were at the time - probably the 2nd best in the country after Liverpool, but not that far behind.

I remember talking to some Everton fans that Summer in Spain on hols, and they had nothing but good words for us as a club, team and fans. I always look out for their scores and think of them, like us, Villa, Newcastle etc, as proper clubs.

Remember mixing with their fans in a pub before the match. It was  all good natured rivalry and not a whiff of any trouble.

I just add it to the list of great away days I went on that were ruined by the match.

The worst being the Brighton Semi. Lovely weather, loads of beers, great atmosphere, rubbish performance 

Guest Garryswfcowl72

Marwood missed the game & it showed that day I cried that day & took me ages to get over it just like 83 I always thought WEDNESDAY were destined never to reach a cup final we always failed in semi finals & quarter finals in 80’s so what happened in the 90’s made it all with the wait 

Another day of ifs and buts, but yes Everton were the top side back in the mid 80's and we never had a great record against them, a bit like coming up against Arsenal in two cup finals at a time when we could have probably beaten any other side in the country on our day but them.

2 hours ago, Justbeanz said:

Remember it well. Packed in like sardines on the Holt End. Madness.

It was indeed, i was one of them. 

Didn't we equalise just before half time?

Had a job to raise my arms and jump up and down it was that packed.

I seem to recall the atmosphere was electric at half time and half of the Holte end bounced to Peter Gunn by Dwayne Eddy.

Edited by Pulsar
Featuring the Art of Noise
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Garryswfcowl72 said:

Marwood missed the game & it showed that day I cried that day & took me ages to get over it just like 83 I always thought WEDNESDAY were destined never to reach a cup final we always failed in semi finals & quarter finals in 80’s so what happened in the 90’s made it all with the wait 

The Seven Year Itch 1986-1993 this is just for you.

Can remember that weekend like it was yesterday.

Had only started going out with my girlfriend (now wife) about a month before and, working in the City, we'd decided to make a weekend of it. She got the train down from Chelmsford to London on the Friday to meet up with me and my workmates as I think someone was leaving; first time she'd met them. She took a shine to one of the other guys who was a spit for Paul Young (remember him?) but then she was always like that....

Got a bit merry then up to Euston (or was it Kings Cross) for the train to Birmingham as we were staying at the Holiday Inn. Just our luck; some guy half way up the train line had demolished a bridge with his car so after waiting on the train they eventually told us we were stuck. Decided to go back to Chelmsford, get refunds on the tickets, and drive up even though we were both well over. Was incredibly foggy near Birmingham and a coach ended up driving into the central barrier and we only just missed it. Got to the hotel about midnight.

Up the following morning and went down to reception to find myself standing next to Graeme Sharp; it was Everton's team hotel. Good bit of banter with him....nice guy. All the Everton players in a roped off bit of the dining room.

Can't remember too much of the match except we were standing on the Holte End and someone decided to do a sh*t on the terrace right next to us. A carthorse would have been proud of it. Walked back to the hotel after the match; my girlfriend said she'd make it better and I rather think she did.

Thirty four years ago. Bloody hell.

I was on the Holt End near the back and it's bloody concave so I didn't actually see Shutt's goal cross the line but I saw the net wag which was good enough for me. I was stood next to some bus crew. They'll probably remember my atrocious language. Funny how our penalty appeal early in the first half had been processed by BBC so it didn't look anything like a penalty on MOTD. The BBC were manipulating the news even then!😄