Garryswfcowl72

The old floodlights at Hillsborough

22 minutes ago, Garryswfcowl72 said:

I took this one at half time during a game against Swindon 3-3 back in 94 note the unfinished south stand 

4083533A-1FE0-4CDC-B341-923FA05D50EA.jpeg

those back panels were left off as long as possible to give the grass chance of sunlight.

With the stand finished, even on mid summer's day there was about 10 yards of grass in shade.

Always amazed me how Blunts could go and watch football at the dump they used to play in rather than come watch us in palatial surroundings. Just shows they are nor normal.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

Remember the A V lights at the corners of Villa Park?

I do indeed, i also remember the floodlights at Leeds, they were diamond shaped if i recall correctly. 

They were also the tallest i had ever seen.

Ours however were pure class and memories of walking up to the ground during night games made this youth buzz with excitement.

It was a crying shame when clubs up and down the country dismantled theirs, i know it was probably an economical decision but it would be such a unique selling point if we were able to rebuild/resurrect ours.

When i first learned how to drive and started feeling brave enough to drive to away games, i would park in any given town or city and we'd walk to the direction of a set of floodlights on the horizon, sometimes miles. These were the days before mobile phones or sat nav and couldn't be bothered with maps, it was all part of the wonderful experience. 

Problem was, when we got there it wasn't always a football stadium 

Edited by Pulsar
  • Agree 1

On 05/04/2020 at 10:33, Garryswfcowl72 said:

The floodlights & the presto stand sign in all its glory glad to say the pitches are a lot better these days 

E9A09EE1-88D4-43B2-A1D2-7206A870713B.jpeg

Give me those pitches with real footie played on it rather than the bowling greens we have now with a non contact sport being played on it by blokes who find it impossible to stand up if someone is within fifty feet of them :bullen:

On 05/04/2020 at 10:30, Garryswfcowl72 said:

I took loads of photos of Hillsborough back in the early 90’s 

8CACB515-BF45-4A77-A2DC-F346BA5E5222.jpeg

These are fantastic mate! Have you got any more?

Classic photos

When they took them down I had them for my greenhouse...you should see my tomatoes.     :1276983839_MonkHome:

• Haha 3

what year did they come down?

when we used to travel to away games in the 70s & 80s looking for the floodlights was the best way of finding the ground as you could see them from miles away.

45 minutes ago, matt68owls said:

what year did they come down?

when we used to travel to away games in the 70s & 80s looking for the floodlights was the best way of finding the ground as you could see them from miles away.

Good question..

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Good question..

First match without floodlights was the Klinsman game.

Owls 3-4 Spurs...........August 20th 1994

• Agree 1
  • Like 2

On 04/04/2020 at 23:45, OwlsMan1961 said:

Blimey whoever attached that quote to the picture had probably witnessed very little of crowds back then, it was often commonplace to see fans perched on all variety of precarious things at big games where capacity crowds were in attendance, often youngsters unable to squeeze through packed terraces, would choose instead to try any available vantage spot regardless of potential danger 

Went Sunderland 1969 with a lad who had polio and confined to a wheelchair ...they let us carry him in we lifted him up on to the floodlights pylon and he sat there all game ....H&S was a bit more relaxed back then .

• Haha 1

One of the ground regulations was that you could not take photographic equipment in to stadiums - all about copyright of course

On 04/04/2020 at 15:55, @owlstalk said:

Hillsborough.jpg

Hillsborough with the floodlights

I loved that ground!

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

On 05/04/2020 at 11:35, Pulsar said:

I do indeed, i also remember the floodlights at Leeds, they were diamond shaped if i recall correctly. 

They were also the tallest i had ever seen.

At 250ft they were the tallest football ground floodlight pylons in Europe at the time.

And As If By Magic

Edited by Rodger Wylde
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Rodger Wylde said:

At 250ft they were the tallest football ground floodlight pylons in Europe at the time.

And As If By Magic

That's it mate!

Exactly how i remember them, i wonder why they made them so tall, it looks like a section lower would have been enough to clear the stands as ER then didn't have the biggest stands. 

Btw i served Rodger Wylde once :cool: