The old floodlights at Hillsborough

Guest Garryswfcowl72

Guest Garryswfcowl72

I when I was a nipper I always got more excited for night matches seeing the floodlights lit up walking up to the ground was magical I can’t recall another ground that had 6 pylons like we had 

87945AEE-FB4D-4719-A84E-895ECA5B0CC5.jpeg

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 21.04.08.jpg

Blimey whoever attached that quote to the picture had probably witnessed very little of crowds back then, it was often commonplace to see fans perched on all variety of precarious things at big games where capacity crowds were in attendance, often youngsters unable to squeeze through packed terraces, would choose instead to try any available vantage spot regardless of potential danger just to get a glimmer of the action, any how on the subject of those floodlights, Wednesdays did have an aesthetically pleasing and distinctive square framed look about them, in my opinion. 

Wednesdays lights used to look great, finishing touch to a real arena....most grounds had ugly crappy ones, like at the sty. 

I find that The newer trend of lights on the stadium roof dazzle you more when at a night game ‘cos the light doesn’t come from high above as it did from the massive floodlights. 

I remember they used to take 15 minutes to fully “warm up”! Many winter Saturday matches they’d turn them on during the game as the daylight faded. To a young kid, seeing these things glow into life was often as enjoyable as the division 3 game on the pitch. Good memories.

• Like 1

Watching Wednesday under the lights is one of my most vivid and cherished memory of my youth.

Walking down Herries Road seeing the floodlights first is like spotting Blackpool tower driving in on the M55.

Guest Garryswfcowl72

I took this one at half time during a game against Swindon 3-3 back in 94 note the unfinished south stand 

4083533A-1FE0-4CDC-B341-923FA05D50EA.jpeg

Guest Garryswfcowl72

The floodlights & the presto stand sign in all its glory glad to say the pitches are a lot better these days 

E9A09EE1-88D4-43B2-A1D2-7206A870713B.jpeg