Wednesday Til I Die

Just finished watching Sunderland Til I Die on Netflix. Really enjoyed it. Fascinating to watch Stuart Donald and Charlie Methven run the football club. Obviously they don't quite achieve their goal of getting promoted but it's great to watch two intelligent business men run a club which was previously on a massive downward spiral and heading to financial ruin. 

Made me think that we'd need a couple of people like that once Chansiri has departed and left us in a similar position. It's going to need a couple of people with some real business know-how to pull everything together from the shattered pieces Chansiri will leave behind. 

Imagine if they made a similar programme about us now. It would be used by universities to teach students how not to run a business. 

I binge watched season 1 last night. I found it a big tragic. Its like watching The Titanic - you know the boat is going to sink, but you cant help watching it anyway. But for me as a Wednesdayite it was a bit too close to home, because as Wiggo sort of just said above, change those red stripes for blue stripes and you literally have SWFC right now. This is showing us what is very likely to happen to us, unless we reverse this downward spiral of the last 24-36 months.

Great viewing though.

Now for season 2......

Take away the football side of the 'business' for a while (player signings, contracts etc)

Look at just the other stuff

• The Megastore
  • The Facilities on the concourses
  • The Catering
  • The Megastore
  • Corporate Facilities

They're not deemed as that important in the grand scheme of things as the club are obviously wanting to focus on the playing staff and getting promoted, but all those things add up to a better fan experience, a more inclusive feeling, and that in turns leads to more positivity, more income, and happier times.

For balance - The things Sheffield Wednesday are getting right include the ticket office which has always done a great job, but just seems to get better and better, and their twitter communications with fans is second to none. Also the matchday programme, always award winning and fantastic every edition. 

Also big shout out to Sheffield Wednesday's social media team who have been absolutely blisteringly good during this Coronavirus Pandemic. Just shows what could be done if we had just one more person in that department able to focus on that stuff all day every day. Again - more positivity, more inclusivity, and a better all round feeling as a fan. 

And gotta say the more positive strides that are made, the less the chairman can come under fire, and the less the way the club is being run can be criticised - again leading to a happier Sheffield Wednesday all round

Owlstalk Shop

There was an interview with the producer on H&J on talksport the other day & his take on the Sunderland owners were that they obviously wanted the club to succeed, they had invested in the playing squad & ultimately brought in Will Grigg to get them the goals they needed for promotion - it didn’t work obviously. The parallels between us & Rhodes stuck out for me. If these moves had succeeded the owners would have been heroes.

To be fair that is a tv programme made to there specifications. So it is going to look good on them and although both did come across quite well. they will more than likely be in there 3rd season of league one football when we return. For a club the size of Sunderland and the budget they have for that division thats terrible. Even losing all that money, they still break the league one transfer record. So its actually that not fantastic what's been done at all really is it.

Had a programme been made about us. I am sure we would cherry pick all the good bits aswell.

53 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Had a programme been made about us. I am sure we would cherry pick all the good bits aswell.

And now on Channel 4, we join Dejphon, Amadeu, Garry and the lads to see how the club's got on since Christmas in 'Wednesday 'Til I Die'...

*theme tune plays over opening credits*

*fade to black*

*theme tune plays over closing credits*

Coming up next: 'Frasier'.

• Haha 2

I dont know if it was that january or the summer after, but I seem to remember they were linked with Sam Winnall quite a bit. Knowing they were thay itchy for a striker, it's a shame we couldnt have got a half decent fee (transfer or loan) for a player who wasnt near our team

....unless he was injured then, in which case disregard previous point! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, oneeyedmilkman said:

I dont know if it was that january or the summer after, but I seem to remember they were linked with Sam Winnall quite a bit. Knowing they were thay itchy for a striker, it's a shame we couldnt have got a half decent fee (transfer or loan) for a player who wasnt near our team

....unless he was injured then, in which case disregard previous point! 

That was probably the bit when they said. They want how much, is that club taking the mick.

5 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

I must have been watching a different programme to the others. Charlie Methven comes across as a complete clown to me.

I agree. Full of management bull and doesn’t seem a particularly nice bloke to work with when things aren’t going his way. 

Sunderland were still getting their 2nd season’s parachute payment (around £30m) and benefiting from from ticket and commerce revenue from crowds averaging in the low 30 thousands.  They should have absolutely smashed League 1. 

1 hour ago, BHA83 said:

I agree. Full of management bull and doesn’t seem a particularly nice bloke to work with when things aren’t going his way. 

Sunderland were still getting their 2nd season’s parachute payment (around £30m) and benefiting from from ticket and commerce revenue from crowds averaging in the low 30 thousands.  They should have absolutely smashed League 1. 

True. Plus I found it so self indulgent that he went out onto the pitch to announce the 'record' crowd for the 3rd Division* - surely the stadium announcer or someone actually involved in the football side of things should be doing that sort of thing. Happy to milk the applause when things were looking good, but as soon as things got difficult he didn't front up and instead did a runner.

(*actually their 'record' was less than we got for the Boxing Day Massacre - he tries to make some disclaimer that their record is for the 'modern era', but he has a strange definition of the modern era. If you told Methven he was born before the modern era (he would presumably have been at school when the Boxing Day Massacre took place), I guess he would dispute he is pre-historic).

The Will Grigg scene you can bet is exactly the same scenario as us with Rhodes, everyone saying he wasn’t worth it and Chansiri not listening and spending silly money on a complete flop

i imagine there are lots of similarities between that club and ours