Liam Palmer

19 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

This place was starting to be a hell hole during the season and now you'd gott no matches to watch I can only imagine it'll get worse. There's a reason most of the wednesday fans I know don't come on here. You all sit in your little negative bubble hating all our plaeyrs and festering in despair. Going round and round in circles hating eachother and everything about wednesday.

I'm more than aware of Palmer's flaws but also of his role in the best defensive records we've kept over the last half decade and how he's stepped up along with thel likes of Fox when the likes of Forresieri, Abdi and co have shirked all responsibility and taken an ever increasing share of your money.

Wish we had more Liam Palmers at our club. It would be in a much better position right now if they all had his attitude and drive to improve.

Re people in their negative bubble hating our players, I think you are being a little dramatic.  Why is any form of criticism taken as hating a player by some people? Even with opposition players (ok, with one or two possible exceptions) I would try and avoid such negative feelings - it’s only a game at the end of the day.

As far as having “more Liam Palmers at our club” goes, I’ve no idea what his attitude and drive are like, but he’s always seemed an honest trier to me.  I think a squad built around good characters is important and can go a long way to make up for lack of ability.  Having said that, attitude will only take you so far, and I happen to believe Palmer has reached his limit - for me at least, “more Liam Palmers” just means more mediocrity.

I think people sometimes miss the point, we play with two out and out wingers, and in that system the primary job of a full back is to defend. The wingers are our wide men, and it’s them who will make the greater number of assists

1 hour ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

I'm more than aware of Palmer's flaws but also of his role in the best defensive records we've kept over the last half decade and how he's stepped up along with thel likes of Fox when the likes of Forresieri, Abdi and co have shirked all responsibility and taken an ever increasing share of your money.

I agree and one of the small success stories we've had at Sheffield Wednesday recently is watching Liam Palmer slowly improve despite the sheer weight of criticism aimed at him from many Sheffield Wednesday fans

Owlstalk Shop

Guest timrud

I actually think there is a positive bias towards Palmer because he came through our acadamy.

Look at Fox who is better in every department, gets absolute dogs abuse, but Palmer is immune from it.

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I think people sometimes miss the point, we play with two out and out wingers, and in that system the primary job of a full back is to defend. The wingers are our wide men, and it’s them who will make the greater number of assists

But this causes us a real problem, because this wingers dont get into the box, and dont score goals (actually they rarely create goals either, but thats another discussion). And the full backs have to sit deeper to defend.

Wednesday have a massive problem with scoring enough goals, and have done for years. This is a major cause of it. 

Modern day football has shown that the full backs need to create the width in the team, thus allowing more players further forward to get into goal scoring positions.

Add to the fact that we have a central midfield full of players that are not interested in getting forwards, then what does that leave us with?

Answer = exactly what we have been watching all season - a team with a very isolated striker, and not enough goals.

Be nice if he was a decent defender then. 

1 hour ago, steelerian said:

But this causes us a real problem, because this wingers dont get into the box, and dont score goals (actually they rarely create goals either, but thats another discussion). And the full backs have to sit deeper to defend.

Wednesday have a massive problem with scoring enough goals, and have done for years. This is a major cause of it. 

Modern day football has shown that the full backs need to create the width in the team, thus allowing more players further forward to get into goal scoring positions.

Add to the fact that we have a central midfield full of players that are not interested in getting forwards, then what does that leave us with?

Answer = exactly what we have been watching all season - a team with a very isolated striker, and not enough goals.

Yeah, I’m making you right there, and that’s one of the reasons we are struggling It’s too much of a luxury to play with two out and out wingers, unless you’ve got a 30 goal centre forward. Nowadays, you would expect to play with wide attackers, equally adept at going on the outside, or cutting in, but most importantly, attacking the back post when the ball is on the opposite flank

Absolutely loathe that 'accepting mediocrity' cliche (from previous page) and it's used so often here as some kind of badge of honour for being a more committed supporter. It's the intellectual equivalent of Veruca Salt; stamping your feet and forever demanding more, more, MORE, regardless of circumstances and perspective. And by inference, assuming superiority over those that don't do the same.

Edited by DJMortimer

Yeah, I’m making you right there, and that’s one of the reasons we are struggling It’s too much of a luxury to play with two out and out wingers, unless you’ve got a 30 goal centre forward. Nowadays, you would expect to play with wide attackers, equally adept at going on the outside, or cutting in, but most importantly, attacking the back post when the ball is on the opposite flank

Which is something our wide players dont really do. Well, Murphy does at times. But Harris for example just doesnt get in the box. Reach neither. 

I've been saying for too long now.....get bodies in the box and you will score goals.

Only last night I was watching many old Owls highlights in youtube. Players such as Palmer, Lines, Sheriden, Lee, Shelton, Alexandersson, Pembridge, JJ, Maguire, Reda, they would all venture into the box. And guess what? They all scored goals. It ain't rocket science. 

On 04/04/2020 at 18:00, DJMortimer said:

Absolutely loathe that 'accepting mediocrity' cliche (from previous page) and it's used so often here as some kind of badge of honour for being a more committed supporter. It's the intellectual equivalent of Veruca Salt; stamping your feet and forever demanding more, more, MORE, regardless of circumstances and perspective. And by inference, assuming superiority over those that don't do the same.

The truth hurts, my friend.

Keep accepting mediocrity if you want.

Edited by McRightSide

Just now, McRightSide said:

The truth hurts, my friend.

Keep accepting mediocrity if you want.

The late accounts, transfer embargoes, grubby stadium sale, and EFL prosecution still not putting you off from jumping around and demanding the best players in the division?

Your choice. But no one's impressed.

2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

The late accounts, transfer embargoes, grubby stadium sale, and EFL prosecution still not putting you off from jumping around and demanding the best players in the division?

Your choice. But no one's impressed.

More delusional tosh from the Catastrophe Crew.

Who is demanding the best players in the division.

I’m just saying we can do better than Palmer, who is a mediocre squad player.