Liam Palmer

A very mediocre full back who as many have said is better defensively as opposed to offensively . But even saying that his defending is no more than OK , always done a job but never been spectacular. If we are serious about competing for promotion we need him as back up only.  A 6/7 out of 10 player who’s never really let us down in terms of effort and desire but lacks that quality of a modern day right back, top lad and top pro mind . Below are his stats in the last 3 seasons compared to Morgan fox.
17/18, 18/19, 19/20 (goals and assists)

Palmer goals : 0 

Palmer assists : 3

Fox goals 2️⃣

Fox assists : 5

daniel Pudil managed 11 goals / assists contributions for 15/16 16/17 and 17/18 

(3 seasons ) 

14 hours ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

A very mediocre full back who as many have said is better defensively as opposed to offensively . But even saying that his defending is no more than OK , always done a job but never been spectacular. If we are serious about competing for promotion we need him as back up only.  A 6/7 out of 10 player who’s never really let us down in terms of effort and desire but lacks that quality of a modern day right back, top lad and top pro mind . Below are his stats in the last 3 seasons compared to Morgan fox.
17/18, 18/19, 19/20 (goals and assists)

Palmer goals : 0 

Palmer assists : 3

Fox goals 2️⃣

Fox assists : 5

daniel Pudil managed 11 goals / assists contributions for 15/16 16/17 and 17/18 

(3 seasons ) 

Why is every player rated on how many assists he completes and goals he scores? Palmer is a fullback - primarily a defender! If we rated Fletcher only on his defensive ability, we’d chase him out of the club. 

Again, people are expecting Palmer to be the Championship version of Trent Alexander-Arnold. He’s a steady 7/10 Championship fullback that has the occasional 4/10 game and the occasional 9/10 game. Every team has and needs your Liam Palmer type players. He’ll do for me. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, shandypants said:

Why is every player rated on how many assists he completes and goals he scores? Palmer is a fullback - primarily a defender! If we rated Fletcher only on his defensive ability, we’d chase him out of the club. 

Again, people are expecting Palmer to be the Championship version of Trent Alexander-Arnold. He’s a steady 7/10 Championship fullback that has the occasional 4/10 game and the occasional 9/10 game. Every team has and needs your Liam Palmer type players. He’ll do for me. 

They don’t, but they expect him to at least attain somewhere close to the level of Morgan Fox.

Especially as he’s very average defensively too.

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

They don’t, but they expect him to at least attain somewhere close to the level of Morgan Fox.

Especially as he’s very average defensively too.

The vast majority of Wednesdayites I know are happy with Liam Palmer. 

• Haha 1

If we want to survive in the Championship then Palmer will just about suffice. If we have ambitions to get to the EPL, then no he won't.

Our biggest problem for a number of seasons now has been our lack of goals. Yes Palmer is a full back but ALL players on the pitch (bar the GK) need to contribute both goals and assists. We get almost nothing from our defenders (maybe 5 per season?), and very little from our midfielders (maybe 10-15?). Its not good enough.

5 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

That’s because we are desperately used to accepting mediocrity, and it’s a major part of our problem.

Compared to what, it isn’t 1993. Palmer is a decent full back at championship level, and fair enough we are no longer a top flight side. He is also a current full international, and again, you could say Scotland aren’t what they were, but hey, this is where we are. A decent manager, and suddenly our players might look a lot better than they do now, look at United.

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Compared to what, it isn’t 1993. Palmer is a decent full back at championship level, and fair enough we are no longer a top flight side. He is also a current full international, and again, you could say Scotland aren’t what they were, but hey, this is where we are. A decent manager, and suddenly our players might look a lot better than they do now, look at United.

Jack Hunt

Lewis Buxton

Sam Hutchinson

Dominic Iorfa

All better than Liam Palmer at right back.

You can see the acceptance of mediocrity in posts like yours, where you seem to suggest there’s nothing in between our best team and today.

Liam Palmer is a very average Championship full back who should have a role as a squad player

18 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

That’s because we are desperately used to accepting mediocrity, and it’s a major part of our problem.

No we’re not. That line is always trotted out - it always sounds like a line spat out by a petulant toff (such as Jacob Rees-Mogg) to me. Most people want more but understand the situation we’re in. 

• Thanks 1

Liam has been a good servant to the club and on his day can be a pretty solid defender.  That said I’ve always been of the opinion that he hasn’t got those natural attacking footballing instincts that a full back needs in the modern game. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but has he ever scored a goal for us? Whenever he finds himself in a good attacking opportunity I get the feeling he lacks composure and the natural instincts to inflict the killer blow.  Maybe a goal would give him the needed confidence, but my gut feeling is he’s playing at a level slightly above his ability.

Just now, shandypants said:

No we’re not. That line is always trotted out - it always sounds like a line spat out by a petulant toff (such as Jacob Rees-Mogg) to me. Most people want more but understand the situation we’re in. 

This is like some kind of weird delusional game you are playing with bizarre counter arguments.

There are many better fullbacks than Liam Palmer at this level. Choosing to accept him as the required standard is nothing more than accepting something of mediocre standard.

We have at least 2 people in the squad who are better right backs, and I’d wager Kieran Lee could be a third.

8 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Jack Hunt

Lewis Buxton

Sam Hutchinson

Dominic Iorfa

All better than Liam Palmer at right back.

You can see the acceptance of mediocrity in posts like yours, where you seem to suggest there’s nothing in between our best team and today.

Liam Palmer is a very average Championship full back who should have a role as a squad player

Hunt - left 

Buxton- retired 
Hutchison - not enough games at fullback to make comparison 

Iorfa - spectacular at right back on his day but scary when not and has too many scary days. 

Just now, shandypants said:

Hunt - left 

Buxton- retired 
Hutchison - not enough games at fullback to make comparison 

Iorfa - spectacular at right back on his day but scary when not and has too many scary days. 

More delusional arguments.

I was replying to a poster who was talking about 1993, I simply replied with 4 recent players who are better fullbacks to demonstrate there is something between the best we’ve had and Palmer.

And btw Palmer is much less capable than Iorfa, and Hutchinson’s few games he has played at RB we’re at an extremely high standard...

...but you keep accepting the likes of Palmer. But also accept with them we’ll likely go down rather than up.

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

This is like some kind of weird delusional game you are playing with bizarre counter arguments.

There are many better fullbacks than Liam Palmer at this level. Choosing to accept him as the required standard is nothing more than accepting something of mediocre standard.

We have at least 2 people in the squad who are better right backs, and I’d wager Kieran Lee could be a third.

No, it isn’t a delusional game; I believe Palmer is the best right at the club - Hutchinson and Iorfa aren’t better; they are makeshift fullbacks and Kieran Lee isn’t a fullback as has been proved - he’s the best midfielder in the club when fit and on form - people asserting Lee is a fullback need their bumps felt. 

You are absolutely right that there are better fullbacks than Palmer in the leagu (that’s one thing we can agree upon) but we don’t have the money available to buy them right now. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

More delusional arguments.

I was replying to a poster who was talking about 1993, I simply replied with 4 recent players who are better fullbacks to demonstrate there is something between the best we’ve had and Palmer.

And btw Palmer is much less capable than Iorfa, and Hutchinson’s few games he has played at RB we’re at an extremely high standard...

...but you keep accepting the likes of Palmer. But also accept with them we’ll likely go down rather than up.

I’m out. You’re either crackers or a hater. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, shandypants said:

No, it isn’t a delusional game; I believe Palmer is the best right at the club - Hutchinson and Iorfa aren’t better; they are makeshift fullbacks and Kieran Lee isn’t a fullback as has been proved - he’s the best midfielder in the club when fit and on form - people asserting Lee is a fullback need their bumps felt. 

You are absolutely right that there are better fullbacks than Palmer in the leagu (that’s one thing we can agree upon) but we don’t have the money available to buy them right now. 

Palmer has been a makeshift full back his entire career with us, and it shows.

On 03/04/2020 at 09:26, Steve Down South said:

I reckon lockdown delusion is starting to kick in.  Can’t imagine there’s a top half a Championship side that would want Palmer in their starting line-up.  Some players you look at and think they should have achieved a lot more with their talent (McGugan?) but with Liam I would say he’s been very fortunate to play at Championship level for so many years.  I’m sure he must be a solid character and work hard behind the scenes to make up for other deficiencies.

This place was starting to be a hell hole during the season and now you'd gott no matches to watch I can only imagine it'll get worse. There's a reason most of the wednesday fans I know don't come on here. You all sit in your little negative bubble hating all our plaeyrs and festering in despair. Going round and round in circles hating eachother and everything about wednesday.

I'm more than aware of Palmer's flaws but also of his role in the best defensive records we've kept over the last half decade and how he's stepped up along with thel likes of Fox when the likes of Forresieri, Abdi and co have shirked all responsibility and taken an ever increasing share of your money.

Wish we had more Liam Palmers at our club. It would be in a much better position right now if they all had his attitude and drive to improve.

5 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

This place was starting to be a hell hole during the season and now you'd gott no matches to watch I can only imagine it'll get worse. There's a reason most of the wednesday fans I know don't come on here. You all sit in your little negative bubble hating all our plaeyrs and festering in despair. Going round and round in circles hating eachother and everything about wednesday.

I'm more than aware of Palmer's flaws but also of his role in the best defensive records we've kept over the last half decade and how he's stepped up along with thel likes of Fox when the likes of Forresieri, Abdi and co have shirked all responsibility and taken an ever increasing share of your money.

Wish we had more Liam Palmers at our club. It would be in a much better position right now if they all had his attitude and drive to improve.

Palmer was a bit part player in those seasons. Hunt was the first choice RB