Liam Palmer

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Nine.

That's an assist every 28 games, so he might get you one or two a season.

For context, Fox averages an assist every 17 games for us; Pudil averaged one every 13; and Hunt one every 12.

That's surprised me, I didn't think it would be that high

Shall we compare his goals

250 games, a decent fullback would be into double figures

How many has Liam got?

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Unbelievably mediocre. Pretty much the epitome of our season was when we lined up with Palmer as captain.

Average squad player, but if he plays more than 25 games for you then you may as well accept you’re going nowhere forwards because your squad isn’t good enough.

Has good ability on the ball by badly hampered by being bone-idle and often cowardly on the ball.

Shocking assist rate and perversely better at left back than at right back.

If he wasn’t an academy graduate he’d have been widely called out for all of the above, but he is...so he hasnt

3 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

Personally I think he does as little as he possiblity can.

The amount of times, especially this last 2 seasons I've seen him just jogging back when the other team is attacking.

He is a defender right?

Can anyone remember seeing him make a crunching tackle or a defensive header?

Nothing personal, I just don't think he is championship material.

Agree he was league one standard for years and he has improved but he’s still not up to this level. Simply not good enough but with others standards slipping and those coming in not up to it it’s not highlighted.

Should be moved on if possible.

42 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Average player. Another one who really showed up when his contract was coming to an end. 

If we are ever going to improve as a club we need better options than Palmer. 

It’s a pity a few more aren’t doing that now

Considering our financial state, I would say that he’s bordering on the irreplaceable. Which I know sounds daft but hear me out. 

It’s not due to his quality. But because he’s a ‘steady Eddie’ and can fill a gap in various positions. Either full back he’s comfortable. He came through the ranks as a playmaker centre mid. I really liked the look of him in the 2011/12 promotion season before he went out on loan. The highlights of the season shown on YouTube really show his midfield qualities. Now he’s defensively experienced I’d also trust him to fill a gap as a CDM too. Senior, experienced, not a bad egg.

If we have promotion ambitions then of course he shouldn’t be a starter each week, and we can hopefully bring it better. But he’d likely be fairly low on my list of players I’d be getting rid of. Can’t imagine he’s ‘stealing a wage’. If we did sign a better RB we’d be stupid to get rid of Liam because you’re then potentially gonna have to sign three players to replace what Liam’s flexibility gives us.

In this league experienced squad players, who can fill a couple of positions, are important. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlyingOwl said:

Considering our financial state, I would say that he’s bordering on the irreplaceable. Which I know sounds daft but hear me out. 

It’s not due to his quality. But because he’s a ‘steady Eddie’ and can fill a gap in various positions. Either full back he’s comfortable. He came through the ranks as a playmaker centre mid. I really liked the look of him in the 2011/12 promotion season before he went out on loan. The highlights of the season shown on YouTube really show his midfield qualities. Now he’s defensively experienced I’d also trust him to fill a gap as a CDM too. Senior, experienced, not a bad egg.

If we have promotion ambitions then of course he shouldn’t be a starter each week, and we can hopefully bring it better. But he’d likely be fairly low on my list of players I’d be getting rid of. Can’t imagine he’s ‘stealing a wage’. If we did sign a better RB we’d be stupid to get rid of Liam because you’re then potentially gonna have to sign three players to replace what Liam’s flexibility gives us.

In this league experienced squad players, who can fill a couple of positions, are important. 

That's a much more practical and realistic appraisal than most.

Sometimes reading the hysteria on here you'd think we had unlimited funds, that financial fair play didn't exist, that there's no problem having well paid players regularly sitting in the stands and that we can just make the sexiest signings going without worrying too much about tactics or teamwork and thereby storm the league.

Hmmm... sounds a bit like the chairman.

:biggrin:

He’s not top quality but neither is he dreadful. He’s a steady reliable Championship level defender.  

He’s a bit of a whipping boy for some fans. I think a lot of those fans expect every player to be “top drawer” but that sort of expectation is somewhat unfair. People just ought to accept that Palmer will never be as good as Roland Nilsson and then they might appreciate what he can do rather than over emphasising what he can’t. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

One of our own, almost always fit and available, great attitude, gives his all, likely one of lower earners at the club. 

If we had a squad full of players like this, not only would we be far better off financially but we’d also most likely have more fight and hunger too. 

16 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

One of our own, almost always fit and available, great attitude, gives his all, likely one of lower earners at the club. 

If we had a squad full of players like this, not only would we be far better off financially but we’d also most likely have more fight and hunger too. 

Giving his all, fight and hunger are the last qualities I would compliment him for. Technique, availability and loyalty perhaps but not hunger and desire

He’s one of the most pedestrian of the lot.

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Giving his all, fight and hunger are the last qualities I would compliment him for. Technique, availability and loyalty perhaps but not hunger and desire

He’s one of the most pedestrian of the lot.

I’m not sure that is true mate, his performances have seen him called up regularly for his international side Not sure what you mean by pedestrian either, Waddle was pedestrian, and he wasn’t bad

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

I can see your point, but if Liam Palmer is “bordering on the irreplaceable”, that’s a sad indictment of the state the club is in right now.

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m not sure that is true mate, his performances have seen him called up regularly for his international side Not sure what you mean by pedestrian either, Waddle was pedestrian, and he wasn’t bad

anyone without their eyes painted on / not ravaged with bias can see Palmer ambling round the pitch and failing to make the hard yards

Edited by McRightSide

16 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

He's quicker and stronger than most other full backs in this division and his defensive positioning to cover for his centre backs is excellent.

Easily good enough for a top 6 championship side, just the usual boo boys think he should be cafu

I reckon lockdown delusion is starting to kick in.  Can’t imagine there’s a top half a Championship side that would want Palmer in their starting line-up.  Some players you look at and think they should have achieved a lot more with their talent (McGugan?) but with Liam I would say he’s been very fortunate to play at Championship level for so many years.  I’m sure he must be a solid character and work hard behind the scenes to make up for other deficiencies.

• Like 1