Liam Palmer

Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 10.19.09.jpg

Homegrown talent Liam Palmer has now played 250 games for Sheffield Wednesday. Quite an achievement and when you consider some of the criticism he came under for his earlier performances as he was finding his feet it's all the more impressive.

But how much do you rate Liam Palmer? Has he improved enough and is he now a player you rate?

When was the first time you saw Liam play for Sheffield Wednesday? 

Do you have a slightly different impression of Liam Palmer because he's come through the ranks?

Owlstalk Shop

Guest wilyfox

Stronger and more dependable than he used to be. Has cut out some of his lapses in concentration defensively, but still the odd wobble. Must improve his offensive game, but turning 29 this year I'm not sure how much improvement we're likely to see.

I can’t question his attitude on and off the pitch 

He seems from the outside that he wants to succeed here and looks as though he tries his best 

Like so many of the squad not really improved over the last 4 or 5 years and can be deemed as a useful squad player if we want to progress as a club 

Lacks that extra bit of quality at important times in key areas 

Still currently our best full back - on either side of the pitch 

He is a good 6-7 out of 10 performer a good championship standard performer, more suited to a defensive right back rather than an attacking winger, but very useful for the squad as can play well on both flanks and has the physical presents unlike some of the midgets we have in the squad.

I also used to work with one of his family and by their account is a very down to earth local lad, who though he is a footballer has never forgotten his fairly local routes (Worksop).

I like Palmer. He’s got a good engine on him, never goes into hiding and he’s definitely improved as a defender during the last 12 months 

Only downside is his crossing at times and he could do with chipping in with a few goals 

I've said it before, he's a very good athlete

Works tirelessly up and down the pitch

His defending has improved immensely, but it needed to

I'm not mention his ability to cross the ball

The fact he's played so many games for Wednesday, is a reflection on how bad we have been as a club, and not how good he is as a player

Love his attitude, love his workrate, but we'll never be more than a run of the mill Championship club until we get better players

Neg away guys, but Liam is a cheap option, that's why he's stayed here so long, he just doesn't possess the quality that will help sustain a promotion challenge

How many assists has he got in those 250 games, 4, 5?

• Like 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest Bulgaria

Personally I think he does as little as he possiblity can.

The amount of times, especially this last 2 seasons I've seen him just jogging back when the other team is attacking.

He is a defender right?

Can anyone remember seeing him make a crunching tackle or a defensive header?

Nothing personal, I just don't think he is championship material.

Guest Bulgaria
28 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Love his attitude, love his workrate,

His last performance away at Brentford was a disgrace mate.

Showed neither of those attributes. 

28 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I've said it before, he's a very good athlete

Works tirelessly up and down the pitch

His defending has improved immensely, but it needed to

I'm not mention his ability to cross the ball

The fact he's played so many games for Wednesday, is a reflection on how bad we have been as a club, and not how good he is as a player

Love his attitude, love his workrate, but we'll never be more than a run of the mill Championship club until we get better players

Neg away guys, but Liam is a cheap option, that's why he's stayed here so long, he just doesn't possess the quality that will help sustain a promotion challenge

How many assists has he got in those 250 games, 4, 5?

Nine.

That's an assist every 28 games, so he might get you one or two a season.

For context, Fox averages an assist every 17 games for us; Pudil averaged one every 13; and Hunt one every 12.

4 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Stronger and more dependable than he used to be. Has cut out some of his lapses in concentration defensively, but still the odd wobble. Must improve his offensive game, but turning 29 this year I'm not sure how much improvement we're likely to see.

Probably sums it up for me, though I’d add that he is a lot more comfortable on the ball these days, whichever flank he is on

46 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Nine.

That's an assist every 28 games, so he might get you one or two a season.

For context, Fox averages an assist every 17 games for us; Pudil averaged one every 13; and Hunt one every 12.

After doing this, I suddenly thought maybe I was doing Palmer a disservice, as he's obviously been at the club for a long time and since a very young age, so I decided to check how his assists looked if judged over the last five seasons alone.

He's got 4 in 137 games, averaging an assist every 34 matches.

Sorry Liam, I was trying to help you out!

:duntmatter:

• Haha 2