The PFA's Response To The Coronavirus Crisis

I've just been reading an article about yesterday's conference call between the various leagues and the PFA's stance is quite frankly disgusting.

The full article is below, but the quotes which really jump out are:

Football’s rules require players’ contracts to be paid in full and the PFA’s stance, represented at the meeting by their chief executive Gordon Taylor, is that deferrals of wages, not pay cuts, will be considered. The PFA argues this is sensible, and that if deferred wages cannot ultimately be paid because of deficits caused by the crisis, this can be negotiated later.

Agreement will also have to be reached about how players will be paid if the season is extended beyond football contracts’ standard 30 June termination date. The PFA stance, as with the umbrella international footballers’ union Fifpro, is that players must be paid in full up to 30 June, then additionally during an extension period. However, even if the remaining matches do go ahead, broadcasters will not pay the leagues any extra money for showing them.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/01/premier-league-tells-pfa-players-will-have-to-share-in-financial-pain

At a time when the nation is on its knees, small businesses are going bust, and countless people are suffering financial hardship, the PFA are refusing to even countenance the idea that footballers, many of whom are among the wealthiest in society, might take a pay cut in order to help out.

I really hope the public remember this response once this is all over. 

Norwich are donating £200,000 from the players just been on TalkSport.

Thier sporting director could have done better..

“We don’t know if it’s £10m, £5m or £1m we could potentially lose out on. It shouldn’t be used as an opportunity just to try and kill players because they earn a lot of money

Turn over this season should be about £140,000,000 minimum

Edited by mildatheart67

When the top clubs are spending millions on new players then I  can understand why the union would want there members to have there contracts honoured   ...clubs cant say we cant afford to pay players and then go out sign someone for 70 million.   . ......they also have to look after the lower league players who dont earn much more than the average joe .

Rules are rules I suppose 

One thing is for sure, If I was a professional athlete, I wouldn’t be able to look at myself in the mirror if I was collecting upwards of £20k a week whilst the kit man and cleaning lady were getting  furloughed on 80% 

• Like 4

The average premiership wage is £63,000.

Too be nearly fair the Guardian just put a price up on what each in is doing ,most are paying thier staff till at least end of April a good few will honour payments to end of season.

The baddies of  the price so far are Newcastle,  Norwich and Spurs

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

When the top clubs are spending millions on new players then I  can understand why the union would want there members to have there contracts honoured   ...clubs cant say we cant afford to pay players and then go out sign someone for 70 million.   . ......they also have to look after the lower league players who dont earn much more than the average joe .

Up and down the country, people from all walks of life are having to take furlough or pay cuts in order to ensure that there's still something resembling normality to return to once this is all over.

But the PFA say pay cuts won't be considered.

How some of those players who are refusing to consider pay cuts will be able to look the average non-playing staff member in the eye after this, I have no idea.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mildatheart67 said:

The average premiership wage is £63,000.

Too be nearly fair the Guardian just put a price up on what each in is doing ,most are paying thier staff till at least end of April a good few will honour payments to end of season.

The baddies of  the price so far are Newcastle,  Norwich and Spurs

Norwich will be panicking as they will soon be out of the PL, and won’t be getting their share of the riches

1 minute ago, The only way is S6 said:

Taylor still in charge is the biggest scandal. Why doesn’t someone set up an alternative union? The monopoly is the promble. 

Who'd join it .....taylor fights tooth and nail for the rights of his members so it's hard to imagine that they'd be looking to join one thats a bit more compliant to the clubs .

15 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Who'd join it .....taylor fights tooth and nail for the rights of his members so it's hard to imagine that they'd be looking to join one thats a bit more compliant to the clubs .

If Taylor is such a leader, why is there an enquiry into the union? The monopoly the PFA has means it does whatever it likes, isn't subject to scrutiny & Taylor names his own salary. People might join an alternative if they felt it was more about their interests than Taylor's new Range Rover. He's a dinosaur completely out of touch with the modern game. He's 75 and been in the job 39 years. He's as relevant as Blatter was before he was deposed.

If any club or company for that matter is still paying their big earners, CEOs or in this case players 100 % they shouldn't be able to furleigh the staff. 

As stated before, I hope the public around the world remember this. 

I know most PL clubs can operate without stadiums even quarter full. However, if the merchandise and paid TV service subscriptions stop they may feel it more. 

• Like 2

As soon as this is over everything will be forgotten, fans wont be bothered as well as teams are buying players and their team is winning

its the same with carers, they will be forgotten when they aren't in the news

I am afraid everything will go back to the way it was

12 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Matt Hancock trying to force the PFA's hand now. Hopefully he can shame them into acting. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52142267

If the PFA want to set a particular percentage across the board for all players to take then fine, but they need to get on with it before any more non playing staff get furloughed

I have a few contacts I usually deal with who have been furloughed. They aren’t allowed to do any aspect of their day to day job whilst on furlough. I can’t send them any sort of query, they’ve been told it’s against the law to furlough and, still carry out any form of normal day to day duties.

This is where it gets complicated for footballers. Like it or not, they’re not your average person. They’re an asset. A valuable one most of the times. Tottenham couldn’t furlough Harry Kane and force him to complete his rehabilitation. He’d do it out of his own best interests but, it leaves the clubs powerless! 

Unfortunately that’s the clubs issue to deal with. Not the players. I do agree that the players should be helping the staff members who have been forced to furlough out. It would probably cost the first team less than £1000 each to keep the employees earning 100% of their wage. 

41 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

I have a few contacts I usually deal with who have been furloughed. They aren’t allowed to do any aspect of their day to day job whilst on furlough. I can’t send them any sort of query, they’ve been told it’s against the law to furlough and, still carry out any form of normal day to day duties.

This is where it gets complicated for footballers. Like it or not, they’re not your average person. They’re an asset. A valuable one most of the times. Tottenham couldn’t furlough Harry Kane and force him to complete his rehabilitation. He’d do it out of his own best interests but, it leaves the clubs powerless! 

Unfortunately that’s the clubs issue to deal with. Not the players. I do agree that the players should be helping the staff members who have been forced to furlough out. It would probably cost the first team less than £1000 each to keep the employees earning 100% of their wage. 

Completely agree, which is why the player's wage cut needs to be voluntary, rather than furlough. I get that the PFA's job is to look after the players, and fully expect clubs to be unnecessarily using the furlough scheme when they don't need to, but the players really need to do their part to help. 

10 hours ago, torryowl said:

Of course the PFA need to look after those in the lower leagues and in general they have to do their best for their members but if they are taking a stance that no players should take a cut in earnings then that is a disgraceful approach.

What will they do without their average £63K per week?