Wednesday related books to read

I've just read 'World in Motion' by Simon Hart. It's a really thorough, but readable history of Italia 90. Hart travels the world to interview players, managers, coaches and others involved. Included in there is an interview with our own John Harkes. 

The Sterland & Terry Curran autobiographies are just about readable but only by Wednesdayites.

I cant see many other footy fans getting much out of them.

I enjoyed the Tom Whiteworth book on the Modern Era but wasn't quite as good as some made out and found some of the early chapters slightly dull with stories I had heard before.

Other non Wednesday footy books I enjoyed:

Provided you dont kiss me by Duncan Hamilton on Brian Clough

Immortal about George Best also by Duncan Hamilton.

Think my favourite is

The Miracle of Castel di Sangro by Joe Mcginniss about a small Italian club playing in Serie B.

On 01/04/2020 at 14:16, Whitechapel Owl said:

I've read a lot of football autobiographies but can't remember any Wednesday ones off the top of my head. (Apart from Sterland's which isn't great) If you're willing to move away from Wednesday one I'd really recommend is Journeyman by Ben Smith. He played in the lower leagues but is a smart guy and wrote the book himself, so many of them use ghostwriters and end up very similar to each other, he looks at things a bit differently and there's some great stories about playing under Steve Evans.

I read smith's book and  its a good read , the chapter on who ate steve  evans fish & chips is damning of what the bloke is like . 

Another shout for the Blue and White Wizards book, that's a decent enough read.

An absolute classic football book is All Played Out by Pete Davies about Italia 90, not Wednesday-related, although Chris Waddle features in it quite a bit.

A few more...

Simon Inglis - Soccer in the Dock - written in the 80s I think, but has a good section on the betting scandal of the 60s

Rory Smith - Mister, the story of English coaches overseas in the early to mid 20thC - includes plenty on Vic Buckingham

Michael Gibbons - When Football Came Home, decent recap of Euro 96. 

On 01/04/2020 at 15:35, scilly owl said:

I’ve read every Wednesday related autobiography going. TC’s was interesting, Mel and Carlton’s were atrocious only made readable because it was Wednesday related. I enjoyed Mark Brights new book, Jack Charlton latest book, written with the help of many guests, is a cracking read.” Big Ron’s book is entertaining.

For a non Wednesday read I would recommend both of Brian Moore’s books ( ex England hooker)

Kammys book is worth avoiding.

Do we get much of a mention  in the Charlton  book?

Only Wednesday books that I read are:

Proper Player - one on John Sheridan's career. I love Shezza and he is my favorite player. However, book is about him with very little imput by player himself. Don't think I found anything I didn't already knew in it. Not a great read I'm afraid.

Blue and White Wizards - author made interview with in his opinion best 11 players in his time of watching Wednesday. Great book.

Lately I've been reading only books on football.

How To Be a Footballer - Peter Crouch

How Not To Be a Pro Footballer - Paul Merson

My Autobiography - Alex Ferguson

How To Watch Soccer - Ruud Gullitt

The Damned United - Brian Clough

13 hours ago, panda800 said:

Do we get much of a mention  in the Charlton  book?

Do you know panda... I can’t remember. I don’t recall  OT being referred to and I can’t check because I posted the book off to another Owlstalk member when I had finished it.

What I particularly enjoyed about the read was that it contained dozens of affectionate anecdotes by people who had worked with or simply knew Jack.

I would highly recommend getting hold of a copy.

Couple more with tenuous Wednesday links 

Spencer Vignes - 'Bloody Southerners' about Clough and Taylor's time at Brighton in the mid-70s. (Peter Grummit is interviewed about leaving Hillsborough and heading there). Fascinating book anyhow, it's like Mourinho or Guardiola turning up at Fleetwood!

Wayne Barton 'Que Sera, Sera' covers Man Utd under Dave Sexton and Big Ron. Intro by Ron mentions us and his style of management. 

10 hours ago, scilly owl said:

Do you know panda... I can’t remember. I don’t recall  OT being referred to and I can’t check because I posted the book off to another Owlstalk member when I had finished it.

What I particularly enjoyed about the read was that it contained dozens of affectionate anecdotes by people who had worked with or simply knew Jack.

I would highly recommend getting hold of a copy.

Cheers    im going to  try and get it next week along with the len ashurst  book .... I was thinking  of getting  the dave Jones one   but  it sounds  depressing 

The Beautiful Game by David Con.

Quite a bit about the early premier league,the Hillsborough diaster and Dave Allen.

Also more about the delightful Ken Bates and his less than transparent dealings going right back to Oldham ,then Chelsea and Leeds.

Wish Simon Inglis would update his football ground books .

2 hours ago, panda800 said:

Cheers    im going to  try and get it next week along with the len ashurst  book .... I was thinking  of getting  the dave Jones one   but  it sounds  depressing 

The Len Ashurst one is excellent. Lots on his time at SWFC, but plenty more interesting material as well. He wrote it himself as well (rather than getting a ghostwriter) - says something about the man,