poite

Wednesday related books to read

Spending all this time at home and not been allowed out has got me working through the book shelf of all those books that I bought to read one day. 

Over the course of the past week I have read 'My Story by Mark Bright' and finally got round to reading 'No Smoke No Fire by Dave Jones'. 

Brightys book was a good read but Dave Jones book was very very good. Have to say that I hated him as our manager despite finishing off the promotion job back to the championship.

What he and his family went through with the child abuse court case was horrendous and I'm so pleased justice was found in chucking the case out. Nobody like him deserves such awful treatment. 

But I have to say the book did nothing to change my view that he is an arrogant shyte as to me that's how he came across when he was here and throughout the book. He consistently managed to change the world everywhere he goes and turns a football club around only for others to be blamed for anything that goes wrong or against him. Like when he was here, it was never his fault. 

One thing that I thought was interesting is when he spoke about footballers going on fan forums and chat rooms (as it was) and how it could affect them. Does go to show that some of our players might come on here now and again.

Shame the book ends before his next job which was managing us which I'd have been interested to read about. 

As I said, don't like the bloke but it was a very good read.

Anyone else read these books or got other suggestions?

• Like 1

Di Canio's or Peter Crouch's books.

• Thanks 1

I've read a lot of football autobiographies but can't remember any Wednesday ones off the top of my head. (Apart from Sterland's which isn't great) If you're willing to move away from Wednesday one I'd really recommend is Journeyman by Ben Smith. He played in the lower leagues but is a smart guy and wrote the book himself, so many of them use ghostwriters and end up very similar to each other, he looks at things a bit differently and there's some great stories about playing under Steve Evans.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, poite said:

One thing that I thought was interesting is when he spoke about footballers going on fan forums and chat rooms (as it was) and how it could affect them. Does go to show that some of our players might come on here now and again.

It's always happened since we started the site.

Some used to come on anonymously in the old days when the site was in it's very early infancy.

As time went by more used to read Owlstalk and then at one point players registered on the site and made it known who they were to the readers/members.

This was fine at first with some good discussion and banter, even though some of it was your usual sycophantic stuff that you see sometimes on Twitter now (like "@carloscarvalhal we need you back at Wednesday!") 

lol

It went sour though as some fans just don't know how to talk to players as humans, and couldn't get to grips with mature discussions with players, so this led to the players going back to being anonymous again.

We've also had club CEO's and Chairmen on the site both anonymously and publically.

It happens all the time and is only natural. After all if there was a forum dedicated to where you work, naming and discussing you and your colleagues etc you couldn't help but have a nosey...

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's always happened since we started the site.

Some used to come on anonymously in the old days when the site was in it's very early infancy.

As time went by more used to read Owlstalk and then at one point players registered on the site and made it known who they were to the readers/members.

This was fine at first with some good discussion and banter, even though some of it was your usual sycophantic stuff that you see sometimes on Twitter now (like "@carloscarvalhal we need you back at Wednesday!") 

lol

It went sour though as some fans just don't know how to talk to players as humans, and couldn't get to grips with mature discussions with players, so this led to the players going back to being anonymous again.

We've also had club CEO's and Chairmen on the site both anonymously and publically.

It happens all the time and is only natural. After all if there was a forum dedicated to where you work, naming and discussing you and your colleagues etc you couldn't help but have a nosey...

Do you recon any are on here now?

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Patrick Collins came on here a few years ago.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Yes mate - but they'll always be allowed to use the site anonymously.

Same goes for club staff.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yes mate - but they'll always be allowed to use the site anonymously.

Same goes for club staff.

So anyone on here could be a player basically then.? 

Would imagine there is probably a media person at the club who job it is to see what we are all saying today. Not just on here but on all social media platforms I mean.

Got bucket loads, listed the ones I liked most below,  hope this helps...

Factual

Romance of the Wednesday is superb if it's your bag, if a little hard going at times

100 years at Hillsborough is good

Wednesday by Keith Farnsworth

Blades and Owls by Farnsworth again

Player related

Dooley! Is superb, a great read

Enjoyed Peter Swans, although don't expect to like him after you've read it. Well before my time so only had my dads say so as to how good he was,  I just don't think he came across as a nice bloke (personal opinion, please don't pounce on me!)

Regrets of a football maverick by Terry Curran is decent enough

Flying over an Olive grove is brilliant

Non Wednesday 

El Diego is excellent, he's such a loon... on the other end of the spectrum I really enjoyed Stanley matthews autobiography

• Agree 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

So anyone on here could be a player basically then.? 

Would imagine there is probably a media person at the club who job it is to see what we are all saying today. Not just on here but on all social media platforms I mean.

Nobody at the club has that specific role

Some of the social media/comms staff do read the site though such as Trevor Braithwait, Mark Ruane etc 

Some of it gets reported back to others but mostly it doesn't as the stuff on here really isn't that important/interesting to them.

As for others, there are actors, famous people, and pop/rock stars who are members of the site but choose to stay anonymous

One of them actually helped keep the site alive/going during the early days through regular donations to the site. Absolute legend.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

As for books, Tom Whitworth's book on Wednesday is an absolute must read for all Wednesday fans.

Especially those who consider Di Canio and Carbone as fancy dan's or Big Ron as a traitor.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, big_al1985 said:

Got bucket loads, listed the ones I liked most below,  hope this helps...

Factual

Romance of the Wednesday is superb if it's your bag, if a little hard going at times

100 years at Hillsborough is good

Wednesday by Keith Farnsworth

Blades and Owls by Farnsworth again

Player related

Dooley! Is superb, a great read

Enjoyed Peter Swans, although don't expect to like him after you've read it. Well before my time so only had my dads say so as to how good he was,  I just don't think he came across as a nice bloke (personal opinion, please don't pounce on me!)

Regrets of a football maverick by Terry Curran is decent enough

Flying over an Olive grove is brilliant

Non Wednesday 

El Diego is excellent, he's such a loon... on the other end of the spectrum I really enjoyed Stanley matthews autobiography

I agree with all those, plus...

Len Ashurst's autobiography - he's a really intelligent and thoughtful bloke - with plenty about the Owls in the 70s he

Daniel Gordon's Blue and White Wizards (he interviews his favourite players and managers)

Also Daniel Gordon's A Quarter of Wednesday - a really thorough history of 1970-95

Tom Whitworths recent one on Wednesday in the Modern Era

Richard Crookes - Grandad what was football like in the 60s and the 70s sequel. He's an Owl so loads on Wednesday in that.

Probably more as well when I have a think!

• Thanks 1

plz read carlton palmer book its superb. he was a real hero at during his time at hillsboro.

I'll also throw in Zlatan and Forward Thinking by Sturrock,  that's his first one. The latter called Luggy isn't up to much except a chapter or so on the play off final

• Agree 1

Steve Ellis' book of photo's is great - though not that much to read! Plenty of memories though.

Jason Dickinson's - The Wednesday Boys lists with good detail every Owls player up to about 2005. Will keep you busy for hours.

Howard Wilkinson's - Managing to Succeed has too much L***s, but also a good amount on his time at S6.

Not Wednesday related but...

Cyrille Regis' autobiography is a fascinating tale of what he needed to do and put up with to make a success of himself.

Steve Phelps - ,29 minutes from Wembley - about Coventry in the 80s but with some good Owls links 

David Snowden - Give us Tomorrow Now - similar but about Sunderland in the 80s.

I could go on (I like reading football books!!)

I’ve read every Wednesday related autobiography going. TC’s was interesting, Mel and Carlton’s were atrocious only made readable because it was Wednesday related. I enjoyed Mark Brights new book, Jack Charlton latest book, written with the help of many guests, is a cracking read.” Big Ron’s book is entertaining.

For a non Wednesday read I would recommend both of Brian Moore’s books ( ex England hooker)

Kammys book is worth avoiding.

• Agree 2

Wednesday-K.Farnsworth

Eric Taylor Biography--Andrew Cooper

The official History 150 years-Jason Dickinson

A complete record 1867 to 1987--Farnsworth

A quarter of Wednesday 1970/1995--Daniel Gordon 

Setting the record straight--Peter Swan

THE complete record--John Brodie and Dickinson 2011

Don Megson --- somebody's borrowed it.

Owls ..  --Tom Whitworth 

Non SWFC-----  Prisoners of Geography--Tim Marshall   nearly finished reading it

a couple of recent John  leCarre 's  on bedside locker

The Company ---Robert Littell read i some years ago

• Agree 2

A few more I've enjoyed:

The Jimmy Seed story - autobiography of the Owls captain of the 1920s (old but out there on amazon for not so much)

Tommy Tynan - Life at the Soccer Factory

Brian Marwood - the life of Brian (for the title alone, but plenty on life with Howard W's Owls)

Lee Bullen's autobiography

Non Owls:

Jack and Bobby - biography of the Charlton brothers and their fractured relationship

Eamon Dunphy - Only a Game - tale of a journeyman footballer's season at 70s Millwall (some detail of their games vs the Owls also)

Jim Smith's autobiography - some interesting material of his Sheffield boyhood

Inverting the Pyramid - Jonathon Wilson - history of football tactics.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, poite said:

Spending all this time at home and not been allowed out has got me working through the book shelf of all those books that I bought to read one day. 

Over the course of the past week I have read 'My Story by Mark Bright' and finally got round to reading 'No Smoke No Fire by Dave Jones'. 

Brightys book was a good read but Dave Jones book was very very good. Have to say that I hated him as our manager despite finishing off the promotion job back to the championship.

What he and his family went through with the child abuse court case was horrendous and I'm so pleased justice was found in chucking the case out. Nobody like him deserves such awful treatment. 

But I have to say the book did nothing to change my view that he is an arrogant shyte as to me that's how he came across when he was here and throughout the book. He consistently managed to change the world everywhere he goes and turns a football club around only for others to be blamed for anything that goes wrong or against him. Like when he was here, it was never his fault. 

Shame the book ends before his next job which was managing us which I'd have been interested to read about. 

As I said, don't like the bloke but it was a very good read.

Anyone else read these books or got other suggestions?

I’ve also just finished Bright’s which was really interesting to read about his early life and family background. Also hadn’t heard anywhere that he was close to joining us under Wilkinson.

also agree with the Dave Jones book that I read a few years ago - interesting and painful what he went through - but didn’t endear me to him.

Viv Anderson’s was good, Bullen’s ok and Ron Atkinson’s a decent read. Carlton Palmers was not as bad as I feared (his ghostwriter must’ve been good - lol)

• Agree 1

Not Wednesday but really worth reading , we don’t know what we’re doing, by adrian childs , bit dated now ( 2007 ) it’s hilarious in places and can certainly relate to his away day followings with wba , can see myself in there going away with Wednesday, funny and for the most part true, try it