@owlstalk

Middlewood Training Ground

Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 13.41.25.jpg

MIDDLEWOOD TRAINING GROUND
Old photo of Middlewood Training Ground on Middlewood Road in the mid 1990's I think (could be totally wrong on the date)

If anyone has any other old photos of the Sheffield Wednesday training ground on Middlewood Road please post them below

Pitch on the left looks a bit bobbly, no wonder our players are always crocked.

Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 13.48.51.jpg

Thorncliffe Sports Ground

Information from Paul Garratt, "Having grown up within 300yds in this area since 1960, Along with my parents and grandparents before them, I can confirm that this is a picture of Thorncliffe Sports ground looking towards Pack Horse Lane from the pavilion and club house area.

The site remains unchanged in layout as at todays date 24/09/12. Having taken part in numerous sporting events on this site over a period of many years, I can confirm that cricket, football, tennis, hockey, and numerous other games and pastimes regularly took place on this ground which was formerly in the ownership of .

During the 1960's the ground was used by Sheffield Wednesday as their training ground prior to their acquisition of the Middlewood Road ground."

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 13.47.01.jpg

Team photograph of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club on their training field

In 1910 Sheffield Wednesday had a training field - anyone know where?

No, but I want one of those caps, size of a frisbee. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Pitch on the left looks a bit bobbly, no wonder our players are always crocked.

if you mean the grey area, that was an 'all weather' surface, a bit like a shale tennis court.

49 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 13.48.51.jpg

Thorncliffe Sports Ground

Information from Paul Garratt, "Having grown up within 300yds in this area since 1960, Along with my parents and grandparents before them, I can confirm that this is a picture of Thorncliffe Sports ground looking towards Pack Horse Lane from the pavilion and club house area.

The site remains unchanged in layout as at todays date 24/09/12. Having taken part in numerous sporting events on this site over a period of many years, I can confirm that cricket, football, tennis, hockey, and numerous other games and pastimes regularly took place on this ground which was formerly in the ownership of .

During the 1960's the ground was used by Sheffield Wednesday as their training ground prior to their acquisition of the Middlewood Road ground."

The ground was owned by Newton Chambers. Now there is a new sports ground on the site including artificial pitches and grass pitches. There is also a sports centre including a swimming pool off Pack Horse lane. I remember watching the players train at Thorncliffe in the sixties. 

That's the road going into Middlewood hospital as I remember it before it became the housing estate

You can still see the original end of the road next to the footpath that leads out to the road

My aunt was a nurse there, and on some paydays, if I was at her house, we used to have a drive up there

I also believe the footpath at the top of Eastwood, just before the entrance to Middlewood Lodge, was the original road up to Kingswood Hall

Some right nutters used to live there

I believe one still does

middlewood.thumb.jpg.fafc24b2f2e195be93d4073cc4327498.jpg

This is the path I believe used to be the original road

I could be wrong

IMG_3545.thumb.JPG.86f120a4de086129442916a3c4337c65.JPG