RIP Joe Ashton

Former Labour MP Joe Ashton has died aged 86, his family has confirmed.

Mr Ashton, who was born in Sheffield, represented the Nottinghamshire seat of Bassetlaw for 33 years from 1968-2001.

As well as being a politician, Mr Ashton became a columnist, an author and a playwright as well as director of Sheffield Wednesday football club.

His death was unrelated to the coronavirus pandemic, and his family said he had been been suffering with dementia.

There will be no public funeral because of the current restrictions, however a memorial service is due to take place later in the year.

Bedside restrictions

His daughter, journalist Lucy Ashton, said on Twitter: "My dad has passed away.

"I wasn't able to be with him at the end because of Covid-19.

"The funeral will just be me and my husband and I can't even buy flowers.

Owlstalk Shop

Knew Joe quite well...

Once on a tram to Hillsborough from town...v piggies at ours. Scumbag piggies gobbing off and spitting on him ( well after director days, so was getting on a bit).

He said to one of em...once more porky and I'll knock thee out and they backed off...

• Like 2

Best wishes to Joe's family.

He was the one member of the board (so far as I know) who back in 1994 (?) didn't exploit their knowledge of the upcoming Charterhouse investment to feather his own nest by buying up as many shares as possible. Just for the record, as we were not a plc at the time, this was not technically illegal. But he did not get involved, telling journalist David Conn that he thought it was a grubby business.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It wasn't at all.

You should trace back to whomever told you that and tell them to stop making stuff up

I guess he may have mis-read/mis-interperated the message / tweet.. saying his family couldn't be with him at the end because of covid19

Edited by Doctor Duran