If you were Mr Chansiri

So we've all got a spare bit of time on our hands, this is a bit of fun but also could be as serious as you like. If you were our chairman and let's say you have a similar amount to that already spent over his reign, conservatively £150M, what would be your 10 point plan to succeed. 

For the purpose of this thread success would be defined as increasing average gates to 27k plus, self sustainability in terms of wages and outlay in line with P&S, increasing average spend per fan, fighting to achieve if not achieving promotion within the next 5 years, long term development of the club to compete at the highest level realistically (think wolves / Leicester), any other points you deem important as chairman. 

1. Appoint a D. O. F. Not one who is responsible for 1st team matters as such but the overall football philosophy of the club. Decide on and develop a style of play that everyone from the 1st team manager to the tea boy is aware of and understands. They will of course recommend managers in line with this style and players etc but their involvement will stop there, they won't interfere with first team affairs on a day to day basis. They will be responsible for the training ground facilities, appointments of the academy coaches and its requirements. This appointment should be long term. Could be approx £1m per year for someone half decent? Maybe more let's budget £5m for 5 years (bit of fun remember so don't quote the figures please) 

2. Training ground. Purchase a facility / develop a facility fit for the 21st century. Mr C is quoted as saying £20m, let's add 50% so we aren't playing catch up anytime soon and allows us to maintain we are at the forefront. £30m

3. Reduce and maintain our wage budget to be in line with FFP which would be £27m / season max if I'm correct in thinking our income is £17m? Overall spend by the chairman in this case would be £50m at £10m per season. 

We are up to a spend of £85m so far, easy when it isn't actual real money! 

4. Knockdown and rebuild the leppings lane stand and forecourt area, further to this build a simple extension to the rear of the north stand concourse over the store. This would allow alternate exits and food / drinking areas. I suspect looking at figures for other grounds etc that this will cost around the £50m mark but again this is just an estimate based upon similar sized developments. 

5. Well that leaves a £15m kitty for player transfers, a few in and outs here and there then imo that should be plenty. I certainly wouldn't advocate blowing it all in year 1. Certainly won't put us in the top spenders but a shrewd manager will give us a fighting chance imo. 

6. Have a group of say 5 fans whose role it is to develop (source) and approve stock lines for the club store. Cost zero

7. Give away tickets to each school within the Sheffield area, max 1000 per game, for a kid plus adult. This may already happen I don't know but with tickets costing so much we need to attract the future fans now. Could possibly look into the uni's too but I see the local lads and lasses as a priority over these. 

8. Tickets. Not the cost but how easy it is to obtain and use. Last time I tried to show a ticket on my phone for them to scan I was quoted "we're not man u love". No we most certainly aren't but even the most basic venue can scan a barcode on your phone. Further to this look into what they do in Germany where you can purchase tickets at cash machines etc. 

9. Release the new shirts in June at the latest! 

10. Carry on with owls in park making it bigger and better each year as we have done. It's berluddy fantastic! 

So that's mine, I know hindsight is wonderful and the figures could be hugely out in some areas but if Mr C had done that over the past few years I think I'd be much happier than I am today with our club. 

Over to you guys

Edited by TheGaffer

It does make me smile how the DoF role was always something to be worried about, but apparently it’s now critical to have one.

In answer to the question, it’s pretty simple really...

I’d go and get a proper manager, with a proper personality and charisma and give them some proper cash to spend

I’d use a chunk of the cash to pay up any contracts for people that we didn’t want / didn’t want to be here and allow said manager to work only with the squad he wants. 

Finally I’d recapture our identity and drive that culture throughout all facets of the club.

The strategic goal is to reach the PL. The only way to do that is get the right manager, the right team and create the right conditions for them. 

Anything else will have to wait.

1. Appoint a CEO, someone experienced within the Championship. Allow that person the ability to decide on all day to day dealings of the club. Trust them to their job. 

2. Appoint a manager with full staff. That manager gets full say on all players coming in and all players going out.

3. Appoint a full scouting network. The aim being to find players between the ages of 19-24 who fit a certain style. So no matter who the manager is they’re always recruited to fit the style of players we have. The scouting teams works under the manager, not above. 

4. Have a wage structure that keeps all players of a similar wage to avoid issues. Can’t have a striker sat on bench earning £35k and one playing and doing well only on £5k. Creates issues. All players should be between £10k-£20k. If they start demanding more they need to be moved on. 

5. Any player with 12 months left on their contract should be looked to moved on. Too many players we have spent good money on have left for nothing and that’s the sort of policy that gets you a points deduction. (I.e Hooper, Jones, Abdi, McGugan, Pudil and Matias). 

6. Make pricing of tickets, merchandise and all other club products more reasonable. Can’t be charging £59 for an Elev8 kit and can’t be charging £49 for a home game in the Championship, these decisions show how out of touch the club is with its customers.

7. Old badge comes back. Don’t hate the new one just love the old one.

8. Engage better with supporters. Too much division amongst supporters at the moment. Too many blurred lines. Keep everyone on the same page. Fans respect honesty. 

Cant think of two more 

6 hours ago, TheGaffer said:

So we've all got a spare bit of time on our hands, this is a bit of fun but also could be as serious as you like. If you were our chairman and let's say you have a similar amount to that already spent over his reign, conservatively £150M, what would be your 10 point plan to succeed. 

For the purpose of this thread success would be defined as increasing average gates to 27k plus, self sustainability in terms of wages and outlay in line with P&S, increasing average spend per fan, fighting to achieve if not achieving promotion within the next 5 years, long term development of the club to compete at the highest level realistically (think wolves / Leicester), any other points you deem important as chairman. 

1. Appoint a D. O. F. Not one who is responsible for 1st team matters as such but the overall football philosophy of the club. Decide on and develop a style of play that everyone from the 1st team manager to the tea boy is aware of and understands. They will of course recommend managers in line with this style and players etc but their involvement will stop there, they won't interfere with first team affairs on a day to day basis. They will be responsible for the training ground facilities, appointments of the academy coaches and its requirements. This appointment should be long term. Could be approx £1m per year for someone half decent? Maybe more let's budget £5m for 5 years (bit of fun remember so don't quote the figures please) 

2. Training ground. Purchase a facility / develop a facility fit for the 21st century. Mr C is quoted as saying £20m, let's add 50% so we aren't playing catch up anytime soon and allows us to maintain we are at the forefront. £30m

3. Reduce and maintain our wage budget to be in line with FFP which would be £27m / season max if I'm correct in thinking our income is £17m? Overall spend by the chairman in this case would be £50m at £10m per season. 

We are up to a spend of £85m so far, easy when it isn't actual real money! 

4. Knockdown and rebuild the leppings lane stand and forecourt area, further to this build a simple extension to the rear of the north stand concourse over the store. This would allow alternate exits and food / drinking areas. I suspect looking at figures for other grounds etc that this will cost around the £50m mark but again this is just an estimate based upon similar sized developments. 

5. Well that leaves a £15m kitty for player transfers, a few in and outs here and there then imo that should be plenty. I certainly wouldn't advocate blowing it all in year 1. Certainly won't put us in the top spenders but a shrewd manager will give us a fighting chance imo. 

6. Have a group of say 5 fans whose role it is to develop (source) and approve stock lines for the club store. Cost zero

7. Give away tickets to each school within the Sheffield area, max 1000 per game, for a kid plus adult. This may already happen I don't know but with tickets costing so much we need to attract the future fans now. Could possibly look into the uni's too but I see the local lads and lasses as a priority over these. 

8. Tickets. Not the cost but how easy it is to obtain and use. Last time I tried to show a ticket on my phone for them to scan I was quoted "we're not man u love". No we most certainly aren't but even the most basic venue can scan a barcode on your phone. Further to this look into what they do in Germany where you can purchase tickets at cash machines etc. 

9. Release the new shirts in June at the latest! 

10. Carry on with owls in park making it bigger and better each year as we have done. It's berluddy fantastic! 

So that's mine, I know hindsight is wonderful and the figures could be hugely out in some areas but if Mr C had done that over the past few years I think I'd be much happier than I am today with our club. 

Over to you guys

Difficult to disagree in broad terms with most of the above  - however, given the likely cost involved, I

would put redevelopment of the Leppings Lane end of the ground on the back burner for a while and prioritise allocating more money to other initiatives first.