Alan Warboys

2 hours ago, Ian_D said:

I made my debut as a SWFC supporter that season.  A long hard road followed.

i truly feel for you, as i personally know the journey you have endured.

i remember well the old sky advert where andy gray is talking to the school boy saying "pick your team carefully, you'll support them all your life".

i'm not sure if this is the 4th. or 5th. major slump in my time.

relegation in 69, then to the third, nearly the 4th. then 2 promotions, relegation, promotion, relegation, relegation, promotion (i think that's it?)

it looks like there's only been one more relegation than promotion, but nearly ALL the relegations could have been avoided with better club and team management other than bfr.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest The Claw
1 hour ago, Finney on the Wing said:

Proper kit, that... 

That'll cause some ballaks on here, no stripes. But I do agree with you.

18 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Not watched it,but is this the game where Warboys shot and it only just stayed in the ground lol it didnt get any better after, he went around 16 games without bothering a keeper,way out of his depth in the upper leagues

Tend to agree mate but you could never fault his commitment ......

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

Yes, I agree as well - had quite an impressive scoring record afterwards for a few seasons at Bristol Rovers,  which suggests he was better suited to the lower leagues.

3 hours ago, Kew Owl said:

Yes, I agree as well - had quite an impressive scoring record afterwards for a few seasons at Bristol Rovers,  which suggests he was better suited to the lower leagues.

That's true but he scored, for me, one of the most important goals ever, to end Derby s unbeaten run in 1969. Wish the cameras had been there.

8 hours ago, The Claw said:

That'll cause some ballaks on here, no stripes. But I do agree with you.

'twas my first Owls shirt as a young un', dad didn't start taking me 'til they went down, two years later - never forgiven him...

....only kidding, for all the cr4p we've had to endure, wouldn't swap it.

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

Definately whole hearted Il give him that!

Guess I cant hide the fact I never liked him,that never changed from his 1st to last game,he was clumsy and awkward and had a 50p shaped head,like Sam Ellis,god knows what our scouts saw in him,there was some real talent about at that time,our scouts must have been on dope.

He moved to cardiff and got something like 16 goals in 20 games,2 against us FFS and a hatrick at blackpool or somewhere,then reverted back to 6 for the season,the 40 odd grand we got for him was daylight robbery,about our one good bit of business for about 8 years.

Him and Steve Downes were shocking buys,wed have been far better off buying Greenhoff off leeds and Macdonald at fulham,saved a good few quid and got some hungry young talent in WTF:

On 29/03/2020 at 11:40, dorian gray said:

i truly feel for you, as i personally know the journey you have endured.

i remember well the old sky advert where andy gray is talking to the school boy saying "pick your team carefully, you'll support them all your life".

i'm not sure if this is the 4th. or 5th. major slump in my time.

relegation in 69, then to the third, nearly the 4th. then 2 promotions, relegation, promotion, relegation, relegation, promotion (i think that's it?)

it looks like there's only been one more relegation than promotion, but nearly ALL the relegations could have been avoided with better club and team management other than bfr.

You've forgotten another Relegation and Promotion there.

We've had 2 visits to the 3rd tier since last being in top tier 20 Years since.

Although in my lifetime it's the same, my 1st memory (of changing Division) is the 79/80 season, so I've seen us Promoted more often than Relegated.

It doesn't feel that way though, the last 20 Years (actually the decline started about 94 so 26 Years really)  have been particularly tortuous.

Wouldn't have it any other way though, all Part and parcel of being an Owl.

Makes the good days feel even better, and they will come back one day, I just don't know when. (Don't quote me on that!) UTO!

Edited by OWL1969

1 hour ago, OWL1969 said:

You've forgotten another Relegation and Promotion there.

We've had 2 visits to the 3rd tier since last being in top tier 20 Years since.

Although in my lifetime it's the same, my 1st memory (of changing Division) is the 79/80 season, so I've seen us Promoted more often than Relegated.

It doesn't feel that way though, the last 20 Years (actually the decline started about 94 so 26 Years really)  have been particularly tortuous.

Wouldn't have it any other way though, all Part and parcel of being an Owl.

Makes the good days feel even better, and they will come back one day, I just don't know when. (Don't quote me on that!) UTO!

looks like i'd forgot one small period, (thanks for reminding me) i did think i'd covered them all, but you've been fortunate if you've only endured 26 (measerly) years of utter despair.

i recall (let's see) about about the mid 70's seeing a list of the then 92 clubs in the then fl, and taking an average of say 10 seasons where they stood against the other 91 with the then 10 season's results added together to offer a league position for the ten years.

we were second bottom (91 out of 92) with thankfully southport (and we all know what happened to them) below us.

no wonder they went under if they were worse than us. :1276983839_MonkHome:WTF::ohmy:

• Like 1